Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 07:20 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampmonster View Post
The patron saint of the GOP was only 2 years younger at his first election.

Webb seems to be in good health and sharp as a tack..Reagan never seemed sharp at all.
actually 1 year, not two. "Sharp" is subjective. Reagan was sharp enough to outfox the Russians on such matters as SDI. Reagan was the oldest 1st term prez ever elected, and Webb would break his record. But I'm not even saying that it couldn't be done. All I'm really saying is that it goes to show how thin and old the Dem bench is these days, that the best option they have is a 68 yr-old one-term Senator who barely won his only race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 07:29 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Sorry, but given the disgraceful conduct of the Democrats over the past 20 years I doubt if I'll ever be able to vote for any Democrat ever.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:46 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,634 times
I think Webb has a chance. A lot of Dems dont like Hillary, and Warren would never beat Hillary. I would like to hear more from Webb. He seems to be right down the middle on most issues. Most Dems are too liberal for me, and most republicans are too conservative. I am very concerned about supreme court nominees. I dont want the court to move right. I definitely dont want roe v wade overturned.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:08 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Those democrats that support Webb over. Hillary or warren just hate women

Last edited by wjtwet; 11-21-2014 at 09:23 AM..

Old 11-21-2014, 08:10 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
LOL! You're delusional! No more Republican Party? Are you not aware of what just happened in this country?
Yeah, a bunch of RINOs got elected, and it wasn't a mandate, it was a second chance, which they are already blowing.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:41 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Sorry, but given the disgraceful conduct of the Democrats over the past 20 years I doubt if I'll ever be able to vote for any Democrat ever.
Yeah, like the RINOs have been so outstanding, right? Why do you think we have the situations we are faced with these days? The RINOs repealed Glass Steagall, how do you like them apples? That's why we now have the insane rigged markets and the out of control banks and financial institutions. The RINOs put together and passed NAFTA, which is why we now have a nonfunctioning immigration system and offshored and outsourced jobs. Sure, old Billyboy signed it, it was one of the finest (sarc) pieces of bi-partisan legislation ever, but he couldn't have done it without the Republicans. And then there was St. Ronnie's own scamnasty, what a piece of work. Nixon and his war criminal adviser Kissinger opened up trade with China, one of the sorriest. events. ever. Obamacare? Please. It has its roots in Romneycare (and by the way, Romney was advised by Gruber, just like Obama was). And just to put the icing on the cake, John Roberts, the Bush appointee, gave the ACA the force of law AS A TAX! Gee, I thought conservatives didn't like taxes.

And don't get me started on George W, and his fraudulent wars. He dealt the US a real series of death blows and Obama's just the undertaker.

All you can say about the Dems is, they get these stinkers that the RINOs give them, and the Dems just run with the ball. Sometimes they put the stinkers on steroids, but the stinkers came from the RINOs.

Full disclosure: I am a registered Republican. I support Webb. I support people, not parties. Webb could at least restore some dignity to the republic.

WEBB over JEB!

Old 11-21-2014, 09:35 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Yeah, like the RINOs have been so outstanding, right? Why do you think we have the situations we are faced with these days? The RINOs repealed Glass Steagall, how do you like them apples? That's why we now have the insane rigged markets and the out of control banks and financial institutions. The RINOs put together and passed NAFTA, which is why we now have a nonfunctioning immigration system and offshored and outsourced jobs. Sure, old Billyboy signed it, it was one of the finest (sarc) pieces of bi-partisan legislation ever, but he couldn't have done it without the Republicans. And then there was St. Ronnie's own scamnasty, what a piece of work. Nixon and his war criminal adviser Kissinger opened up trade with China, one of the sorriest. events. ever. Obamacare? Please. It has its roots in Romneycare (and by the way, Romney was advised by Gruber, just like Obama was). And just to put the icing on the cake, John Roberts, the Bush appointee, gave the ACA the force of law AS A TAX! Gee, I thought conservatives didn't like taxes.

And don't get me started on George W, and his fraudulent wars. He dealt the US a real series of death blows and Obama's just the undertaker.

All you can say about the Dems is, they get these stinkers that the RINOs give them, and the Dems just run with the ball. Sometimes they put the stinkers on steroids, but the stinkers came from the RINOs.

Full disclosure: I am a registered Republican. I support Webb. I support people, not parties. Webb could at least restore some dignity to the republic.

WEBB over JEB!
What are webs policy positions that you support

Old 11-21-2014, 10:19 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Mother of Mary- a Bush, a Clinton, possibly a Kennedy and some trolling around trying to find another opening for Romney. We're definitely stuck with Hillary Part 2 making a stab but I hope the others legacy/perpetual candidates take a pass. This would be the 4th Clinton attempt, the 6th Bush try, 4th run by a Romney and 5th Kennedy run for the WH. Add in the 3rd attempt by a Paul. Is our country really that hard up? No wonder no one votes.

We need some actual leadership and an ability to lead an administration. I think Webb has it, I think Warren would be interesting and could completely upend Clinton in Iowa-thus throwing Miss Inevitability into another tailspin. On the R side I would be willing to look at Rice (who wouldn't make it because she is pro-choice and not entirely opposed to affirmative action), Daniels (who I would have voted for in 2012 if he jumped in) and possibly one of the mountain state Rs.

But of the current seemingly inclined politicians Webb is my guy for now. We haven't had someone who was a true leader since Bush 1. I think Clinton could have been but he lacked any and all discipline.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:16 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Those democrats that support Webb over. Hillary or warren just hate women
Mularkey. Those two women just would not appeal to the entire country. Hillary could not even hold her advantage in 2008. I just don't think they are winners.

Webb is a rare bird. A moderate (or conservative democrat), a genuine hero, an economic populist, a first rate intellect, and a person who understands working class Americans. And we need to win back some of the white male independent vote. He could bring that. He is also not a member of a dynasty. To like him is not to hate women, minorities, or anyone else. I am excited to one day vote for a woman.

It will not be Clinton, and I don't think Warren will sell outside the democratic base. If I thought she had a chance, I would consider Warren. I like that she stood up to Wall Street. She might be a good VP for Webb actually, if they could get along. And if she could prove to the rest of the country that she is not just Yankee academic liberal, she might just have a shot in 2020 or 2024.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampmonster View Post
The patron saint of the GOP was only 2 years younger at his first election.

Webb seems to be in good health and sharp as a tack..Reagan never seemed sharp at all.
Reagan was as sharp as they come when first elected. My guess, you probalby do not even remember 1980 or you wouldn't have made that statement. By the time of his second term, yes, his age or whateve was catching up wiht him, that is why I have mixed feelings about anyone 70 plus running. Just the campaign alone is gruelling. Though he came through the assasination attempt, it did leave lasting damage. I have no idea about Webb's health or how successful he would be. I will be interested in seeing if he does run and what he has to say about issues that affect most of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections