Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2014, 10:50 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Well was he a 'lying conniving, and dirty dealing' guy or was he a 'bobblehead?' Which was it? The two are mutually exclusive.
My impression of Reagan was that he was not the brightest bulb, but a very good gut player. Incredible instincts. Bush II was also a "gut player", but his gut was just a bag of @#$!. Some people can be of average intelligence and have compensating talents. I'd put Reagan in that camp. Others are just incompetent. I think Webb is an intellectual, which I tend to like, but that is no guarantee of executive success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 02:15 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
Webb is an interesting character. As noted, he is a highly decorated Vietnam war veteran but he also has a law degree, is a prolific writer, having written both novels and non-fiction, won an Emmy for a documentary about the marines in Beirut in 1983, and was also a Hollywood screenwriter, having written the screenplay and also producing "Rules of Engagement" in 2000.

He is not a career politician. BTW, for those sneering at his narrow senate win in Virginia in 2006, some things should be considered. Virginia at the time was not purple as now but more of a red state. Webb started out with no money or organization going up against an extremely popular former governor and incumbent senator in George Allen. Allen at the time was regarded as a top presidential contender for the Repubs in 2008. Webb came from way behind to win. All in all, a far more impressive win than Hillary Clinton's carpetbagging win in liberal New York in 2000.

All this being said. I suspect Webb has no chance. Clinton is like a giant Hoover vac sucking up all the money from every available Democrat money source. Big name Dem's like Ted Strickland and former DNC chair Howard Dean have already announced their support of her. More will soon follow.

I would dearly love though for Webb to get at least one crack at her in a debate. He is a tough, no-nonsense straight shooter. After winning election in 2006, he had a famous dust-up with George W. Bush about Iraq at a White House photo session. Webb refused to have his picture taken with the president. He sure wouldn't be in awe of Madame Clinton and her connections and money.
You know your Webb. I agree with you on all points. Webb is tenacious and versatile and would likely be an excellent candidate and even better president. He's not going to Obama Clinton though. If she wants the nomination, it's hers. If Webb runs, he's running for vp only.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:02 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
You know your Webb. I agree with you on all points. Webb is tenacious and versatile and would likely be an excellent candidate and even better president. He's not going to Obama Clinton though. If she wants the nomination, it's hers. If Webb runs, he's running for vp only.
He's already said he is not VP material.

Imho he would make a very good POTUS,but he will have an uphill battle even getting noticed...he's to much of a straight shooter and nobody wants to hear the truth these days,especially not the media.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:20 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampmonster View Post
He's already said he is not VP material.

Imho he would make a very good POTUS,but he will have an uphill battle even getting noticed...he's to much of a straight shooter and nobody wants to hear the truth these days,especially not the media.
He'd be a lousy VP - agreed. He'd be an excellent VP pick for Hillary though. Any Democrat would love to have a tough, smart unapologetic redneck in their corner. If he's willing to wait eight years, the vp position might be his ticket to the presidency.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:32 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
If he waits 8 years he'll be 79. Even with anti-aging concoctions, that's pushing it.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:44 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
He'd be a lousy VP - agreed. He'd be an excellent VP pick for Hillary though. Any Democrat would love to have a tough, smart unapologetic redneck in their corner. If he's willing to wait eight years, the vp position might be his ticket to the presidency.
As a lifelong unapologetic redneck,I have to agree 100%..when someone says what they mean and means what they say in my world that in itsself makes them worth their salt and in the political areana it would make them worth their weight in gold.
Quote:
If he waits 8 years he'll be 79. Even with anti-aging concoctions, that's pushing it.
I agree..at 79 he would be well out of the ballgame.

On a sidenote..with Bill being a former Potus,all of Hillary's political experience,all of their money and the ability to afford a life of quiet luxury beyond all but a very select few,WHY in the hell other than the power trip would Hillary even want the job? Its beyond me.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:01 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampmonster View Post
As a lifelong unapologetic redneck,I have to agree 100%..when someone says what they mean and means what they say in my world that in itsself makes them worth their salt and in the political areana it would make them worth their weight in gold.

I agree..at 79 he would be well out of the ballgame.

On a sidenote..with Bill being a former Potus,all of Hillary's political experience,all of their money and the ability to afford a life of quiet luxury beyond all but a very select few,WHY in the hell other than the power trip would Hillary even want the job? Its beyond me.
It's beyond me too, but evidently power is an addictive drug. Look at Strom Thurmond, Robert Byrd etc. I'm not a fan of term limits, but we were probably very fortunate to get the 22nd Amendment when we did.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:03 AM

409 posts, read 258,779 times
I didn't know white men were still allowed in the Democratic party.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:39 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
actually 1 year, not two. "Sharp" is subjective. Reagan was sharp enough to outfox the Russians on such matters as SDI. Reagan was the oldest 1st term prez ever elected, and Webb would break his record. But I'm not even saying that it couldn't be done. All I'm really saying is that it goes to show how thin and old the Dem bench is these days, that the best option they have is a 68 yr-old one-term Senator who barely won his only race.
Reagan was sharp as a tack. Libs just like to pretend he wasn't, because that's what suits their agenda.

Compared to Barrack Obama, Reagan was an utter genius (he may have been anyway).

Old 11-22-2014, 08:42 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Yeah, a bunch of RINOs got elected, and it wasn't a mandate, it was a second chance, which they are already blowing.
Really? LOL

You must be a Pelosi follower.

There couldn't have been a more solid victory, and mandate. The people spoke loud and clear. You just can't stand what this means for the Democrat Party.

Sour grapes much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections