Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 04:39 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
That's a good point. Webb might have problems in a Democratic primary. How will they react to an ex-Marine, ex-Reagan admin official, who resigned because he thought military spending was not high enough?
There is really no telling HOW they will react..both parties are trying to re-invent themselves right now and in two years there is no telling how they are going to be trying to present themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 05:15 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampmonster View Post
2016 is a ways off..we'll see how the GOP stooges do in the next year or so..I think you will see who the "real" swine is shortly and it won't be hard to pick them out..already backing NSA spying,Keystone etc and they aren't even in the saddle yet..GOP=anti American civil liberties and big business/oil suck ups.
I don't think they're backing NSA spying (where are you getting this?), and Keystone is a good thing (even Hillary said so, way back when). We're transporting the oil by rail at present, which is very dangerous.

I think you are mistaken ... it is the Democrat Party that is the anti-Liberty party, and have been for decades (the party of the Administrative State and regulation). Republicans are the Party of Liberty, and if it weren't for business, you wouldn't have a job. You'd better hope they support business, because it is businesses that create jobs. Doing as the Democrats do, and making life difficult (and expensive) for business, stifles business expansion (and job creation) and everybody is poorer for it. Why do you think we have such massive unemployment right now (and don't give me the administrations B.S. about a 6.something % unemployment rate, when nearly half of the labor force is unemployed!).

Get a clue.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I don't think they're backing NSA spying (where are you getting this?), and Keystone is a good thing (even Hillary said so, way back when). We're transporting the oil by rail at present, which is very dangerous.

I think you are mistaken ... it is the Democrat Party that is the anti-Liberty party, and have been for decades (the party of the Administrative State and regulation). Republicans are the Party of Liberty, and if it weren't for business, you wouldn't have a job. You'd better hope they support business, because it is businesses that create jobs. Doing as the Democrats do, and making life difficult (and expensive) for business, stifles business expansion (and job creation) and everybody is poorer for it. Why do you think we have such massive unemployment right now (and don't give me the administrations B.S. about a 6.something % unemployment rate, when nearly half of the labor force is unemployed!).

Get a clue.
Republicans block overhaul of NSA surveillance reform

Perhaps it is you that needs to get a clue and stop lock step voting for one party without investigating what the candidates are supporting or NOT supporting.

Keystone is NOT a good thing in the least...where do you get that it is? Foreign oil that is shipped elsewhere and helps us not one iota? Less than 100 permanent jobs for US workers? Estimates of 5000 workers to build it,but one American powerplant job would employ that many workers for quite awhile..I see nothing good about it at all and pipelines can rupture(and do rupture with age) and how is the transport by rail dangerous compared to the pipeline..where is that proof? Quit listening to the FOX talking points and check things out for yourself on occasion

Old 11-24-2014, 10:49 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
That's a good point. Webb might have problems in a Democratic primary. How will they react to an ex-Marine, ex-Reagan admin official, who resigned because he thought military spending was not high enough?

it wasn't just that military spending wasn't high enough. Both Webb and senator Mark Warner are "moderates" in a conservative state. I lived there for 11 years, and followed VA politics a little bit. Look at Warner... he was a popular governor, and had no problem winning a senate seat as a democrat (in 2008) But, now in 2014 he barely scraped by and won re-election. I'm sure he is waking up to his party and ready to fight back if necessary. I think that Webb just didn't want to deal with all the bs.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:10 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
An anti-interventionist and economic populist... I'm down with that.
That's the good thing about keeping Elizabeth Warren in the spotlight and Bernie Sanders threatening to run, is that it keeps the message about economics and Wall Street front and center in the primaries. Clinton is as Wall Street friendly as just about any Republican and an economic populist message really resonates with a lot of Democrats and independents. The major social issues are already decided and a Webb candidacy would create debate topics that wouldn't favor most probable Republican candidates.

If it's Clinton vs. Bush then I'll just consider the entire game rigged and do a write in vote.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:21 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

Get a clue.

Please. Are you going to try to pin the recent meltdown on Democratic policies?

What a crock. The repeal of Glass-Steagall, and the massive fraud and corruption it allowed are to blame. Those were GOP ideas, and they nearly tanked the global economy. And if democratic policies stifled employment and economic growth, how do you explain much of the postwar boom, when Democrats were in charge? This post manages to be dishonest, dumb, and paranoid all in one.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post

What a crock. The repeal of Glass-Steagall, and the massive fraud and corruption it allowed are to blame. Those were GOP ideas, and they nearly tanked the global economy. And if democratic policies stifled employment and economic growth, how do you explain much of the postwar boom, when Democrats were in charge? This post manages to be dishonest, dumb, and paranoid all in one.
I owe you another rep

Old 11-28-2014, 11:55 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,634 times
Unfortunately I dont think Webb will get a pass on his previous sexist comments, especially running against Hillary. However, some may look beyond those comments and give him support.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:08 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
Unfortunately I dont think Webb will get a pass on his previous sexist comments, especially running against Hillary. However, some may look beyond those comments and give him support.
what sexist comments?

Old 11-28-2014, 05:57 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post

I'm sure you know that the repeal of Glass Steagall was entirely bipartisan, pushed by Robert Rubin, and signed into law by Bill Clinton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections