Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 08:31 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Our court system rules on property rights, so of course recognition of relationships granted such rights should run through government.
Agreed it does rule on property rights, but marriage isn't about property rights. The actual acts of property rights that are "shared" through a marriage are what the court system rules on.
Do you think government should be able to approve as well as deny who gets married? You get both sides of the coin not one when government gets involved. Government went one way when they denied interracial marriage and now they're going the other. No one or entity should force another to accept or deny marriage.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 03-05-2015 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Um I don't know, ask why the government is banning gays from marrying?
Agreed. I ask that every day and so should everyone else. Who is government to stop 2 people in love from getting married? They don't own marriage.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
14th Amendment. Equal protection under the law.
Keep trying, You obviously dont know much so you're parroting. Government isn't protecting marriage. They do protect/decide on the property within marriage.

Quote:
We amended the Constitution to give women the right to vote.
Because voting is a "right". That'll fly right over your head.

Quote:
And now we will make sure gays have equal protection under the law as provided for in the 14th Amendment as well.
Again no one has a right to get married. That'll fly right over your head.

Quote:
So yeah, I love the Constitution. You?
You love big government and the use of force to get what you want. You're no different than those who backed Jim Crow. If you love the Constitution then follow it and quit running peoples day to day lives.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Whose rights get stepped on when a same-sex couple get married?
Those that are forced to accept that marriage. A business having to give benefits to same sex married couples. Bad that they don't want to recognize it? Agree but don't force them to accept that marriage. Let them loose that employee and fish from a smaller pond.

People will protest and just like the civil rights marches which made the difference and not the civil rights act that came along after the fact as politicians are slow to enforce the law. Minorities were forced to pay into the system and can't use it? That wasn't too long ago. That boggles my mind.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:56 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Keep trying, You obviously dont know much so you're parroting. Government isn't protecting marriage. They do protect/decide on the property within marriage.

You love big government and the use of force to get what you want. You're no different than those who backed Jim Crow. If you love the Constitution then follow it and quit running peoples day to day lives.
We can distill your post down to one belief: SOME Americans are more worthy of equal protection under the law than OTHER Americans. (Pssst! Those are the beliefs that Jim Crow laws were based on.) And you think you should decide who those lucky Americans are. Happily, you get no say in the matter.

So, gay marriage will become legal in the whole of the U.S. by the end of the summer. Suck it up.

Last edited by HeyJude514; 03-05-2015 at 09:07 AM..

Old 03-05-2015, 09:06 AM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Whose rights get stepped on when a same-sex couple get married?
It's not about that and you know it. I am not going to reiterate again why same sex marriage is ridiculous. It is heading down the wrong path for America.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:12 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,139 times
Quote:

The Supreme Court has said otherwise, numerous times. So there's that to consider.
But, it's obvious that you are one of the true defenders of what you think is in the Constitution.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:16 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Those that are forced to accept that marriage. A business having to give benefits to same sex married couples. Bad that they don't want to recognize it? Agree but don't force them to accept that marriage. Let them loose that employee and fish from a smaller pond.

People will protest and just like the civil rights marches which made the difference and not the civil rights act that came along after the fact as politicians are slow to enforce the law. Minorities were forced to pay into the system and can't use it? That wasn't too long ago. That boggles my mind.
No one is forced to accept another person's marriage.

Businesses are not persons. And the person who opens a business gets a license from the state that shows he understands his LEGAL obligations according to the state. Businesses have to meet certain standards, and a business owner agrees to do that when he gets a license from the state.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:18 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's not about that and you know it. I am not going to reiterate again why same sex marriage is ridiculous. It is heading down the wrong path for America.
It's heading down the RIGHT path for America. My opinion. You have an opinion. I have an opinion. Everyone has an opinion. And the beauty of it is that your opinion doesn't trump anyone else's. It may make you weep, but that's too bad.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:22 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
We can distill your post down to one belief: SOME Americans are more worthy of equal protection under the law than OTHER Americans. (Pssst! Those are the beliefs that Jim Crow laws were based on.) And you think you should decide who those lucky Americans are. Happily, you get no say in the matter.

So, gay marriage will become legal in the whole of the U.S. by the end of the summer. Suck it up.

We understand, you want Gay Affirmative Action. Government cannot force me to do something against my religion. That would be oppression and I do not own myself, I would be owned by the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections