Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 09:47 AM

1,733 posts, read 949,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Texas has some Democrats, it has yet to be a Democrat majority state. So Rafael Cruz winning in Texas isn't anything to brag about. Winning in Texas as a Republican is a pretty safe bet.

I disagree. David Dewhurst was considered a shoe-in for the position, until Cruz came in. Many people in Texas were sick of the cronyism of the Perry administration and knew Dewhurst would follow in John Cornyn's footsteps; make promises that are quickly broken after the election. Cruz follows through on his promises.

In football, any team can win on any given Sunday; in politics, any candidate can win on any given Tuesday. Ted Cruz did not cut a swath through Democrats to take his seat in the Senate — the Democrat, whose name I defy you to call up, was pro forma — but rather by defeating the Republican political machine in Texas and by making fools of its top dogs. If you think that he managed that by being stupid, then there is an adjective in this sentence for you.

Read more at: National Review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 09:50 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
I did address your posting. BHussainO signed the bill into law, the fact that he then decided not to follow it does not diminish the fact that Cruz sponsored and was able to get bipartisan passage of the law that was SIGNED into law by BHussainO. The fact that BHussainO thinks he is above the law is a pure reflection on BHussainO and not on Cruz or his accomplishments before and during his Senate tenure.
Quote:
Exactly, I never realized there were such Xenophobes in the democrat party. They are fixated on names that sound different than theirs.
Pot, kettle.

Not sure who exactly is supposed to have "underestimated the man called CRUZ" but, GOP voters currently seem to not have much use for him.

"A recent CNN/ORC poll of Republicans and independents who lean Republican puts Mr. Cruz toward the lower middle of the pack.
In that poll, held March 13-15, Mr. Bush led with 16% when respondents were asked who they would be most likely to support for the GOP nomination. Next came Mr. Walker at 13%, then Sen. Rand Paul (R., Ky.) with 12%. Mr. Cruz stood at 4%.
"

Where Ted Cruz Stands in Early GOP Polls - Washington Wire - WSJ

Of course it is early days, but it does seem like Sen. Cruz will have an uphill climb as it will be hard to get backers if his poll numbers stay in the single digits.

Some voters may love his mavericky style, but, one does have to play well with one's colleagues and peers in order to get the nomination.

"You can read article after article about how Cruz has isolated himself in the Senate. It got so bad that he recently had to apologize to his Republican colleagues.

And the Cruz hatred doesn’t stop at the edges of the Senate cloakroom. Influential party actors dislike him, too. I can’t remember another Republican who united Ann Coulter, Pat Robertson, Jennifer Rubin and Thomas Sowell in opposition
."

Let’s Be Serious About Ted Cruz From The Start: He’s Too Extreme And Too Disliked To Win | FiveThirtyEight

Old 03-27-2015, 09:54 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
I know, just like "Ted" Kennedy or "Bill" Clinton or "Al" Gore. I guess those names don't bother you since they aren't Latino.
Why not "Rafa" or "Rafi?"

Those are perfectly good diminutives of "Rafael."

Being called "Rafa" hasn't hurt this guy's popularity at all.

Rafael Nadal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-27-2015, 10:19 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Cruz may be vying to replace Ron Paul as the perennial presidential candidate. He has as much chance of success as Paul did.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:31 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Republicans, please do not vote for Cruz in the primary. He has zero chance of winning a national election. Think! The comparisons to Reagan are misplaced. Reagan was charming. I haven't seen a lot of charm from Cruz. He comes across as condescending and a little douche-ey. I'm sure that's an unfair criticism, but it is how a lot of people see him.

A Cruz or Bush nomination is about the only thing that could guarantee a Hillary Clinton victory. She's another unlikeable candidate that will not inspire a lot of her base to vote for her, but put her up against a polarizing figure like Cruz and they will come out in droves to vote against him.

Nominate Scott Walker. He has a much better chance.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:35 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
So was winning Illinois for Obama or winning NY for HRC. If that is your only point, it's pretty weak.
If you guys think Rafael Cruz is your man, then by all means pick him, it will be fun watching him get crushed in the general election.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
I disagree. David Dewhurst was considered a shoe-in for the position, until Cruz came in. Many people in Texas were sick of the cronyism of the Perry administration and knew Dewhurst would follow in John Cornyn's footsteps; make promises that are quickly broken after the election. Cruz follows through on his promises.

In football, any team can win on any given Sunday; in politics, any candidate can win on any given Tuesday. Ted Cruz did not cut a swath through Democrats to take his seat in the Senate — the Democrat, whose name I defy you to call up, was pro forma — but rather by defeating the Republican political machine in Texas and by making fools of its top dogs. If you think that he managed that by being stupid, then there is an adjective in this sentence for you.

Read more at: National Review
When it comes to a primary of Republican voters in a state known for a low participation rate, then maybe you are right.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:50 AM

920 posts, read 634,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Why are you so fixated on his name? I find that an interesting insight into your considerations about voting. Sounds like you put the same level of thought and investigation into the candidates you vote for as someone else does when picking a racehorse, because the name sounds lucky.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

I have a friend named Rafael that goes by Raf.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:02 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times
Quote:
why are you so fixated on his name? I find that an interesting insight into your considerations about voting. Sounds like you put the same level of thought and investigation into the candidates you vote for as someone else does when picking a racehorse, because the name sounds lucky.
cruz is not a horse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections