Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Agree with Sanders' "Free College" Platform?
Yes 65 36.52%
No 113 63.48%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 11:21 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Many of the people in prison and on entitlements are already unable to finish free highschool.

Many of those same people with even respectable grades etc. would be able to get a very very cheap education with minor debt given scholarship availability.

So, the path is already there but people aren't taking it.
It is hard for many to admit that some people just suck at life and no mater what is done, they will always suck at life.

If someone wants to help individuals then get government out of the way of industry so that more jobs are available.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:24 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No..most Americans that enter college end up dropping out. Would be a waste of taxpayer dollar.
And God forbid we only pay for those that are truly "college ready". We'd let everyone go to college including the illegals.
Right:

Maybe we should cut people off after 8th grade if they aren't ready for high school?
Better yet, you can just go into all the ghettos, pick the people who are statistically most likely to fail, deny them entrance to kindergarten and the continue to whine about how much crime comes out of their neighborhood.

Yes, my response is over the top, I realize that, but so is yours.

My suggestion is that in today's world, a college education is a necessity to compete in the global market. It's an extension of the prep-school diploma. We should CONSIDER ways to allow all young Americans WHO DEMONSTRATE SUCCESS VIA MEETING CERTAIN STANDARDS to get a higher education without going deep into debt.

"Free college" is waaaaaay too broad, and should not be promoted, but allowing people to EARN the opportunity to get educated without accumulating debt is worth looking into. Yes, it's not free. We as a society have to pay. I firmly believe that if we do it right, the cost will be more than made up through the economic development that it would generate.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:28 AM

674 posts, read 611,738 times
More assistance for those who are good enough to be there can only be a good thing. Those kids with the potential to become educated need all the support they can get.

However, there are plenty of people out there who have no business being in school. In my experience, about half of the students at mediocre state schools can barely read. A college degree is supposed to show that you are educated, but the lower-tier degrees can now be obtained by people who can barely function.

There are even a lot of junk master's degrees now, and it's hard to tell them apart from real master's degrees unless you know what to look for. For example, the Master of Arts in [insert name of STEM field] is often a degree pursued by high school teachers who want a pay raise. Once they get it, they can go around saying, "Hey, I have a master's degree in mathematics!" They say this despite not being supported students (in real academic programs, if you aren't supported, you aren't a real student), not taking the same classes, and not really learning anything. Students going for a real master's degree in math, an MS, usually work as TAs (because they're really just PhD students who haven't passed quals yet), and they spend all of their time taking the rigorous courses needed to pass the PhD qualifying exams so they can pick an adviser and start their research.

It was sort of sad for me that I didn't have any pride when I obtained my MS, because I knew it didn't do much to separate me from those with junk MA degrees. I didn't actually feel proud until getting something better, and this was despite the fact that I had to work hard to get the MS. The less said about all of the dolts with bachelor's degrees, the better!

Basically, the unqualified people diluted the value of everything except for my terminal degree.

If these kids were getting quality educations, that'd be one thing. I would love to see more educated people. I would even settle for seeing more people with some appreciation for art and culture so I wouldn't have to hear so much trashy celebrity reality television talk all the time. The reality is, though, that having more educated people wouldn't help in that respect, because the way a lot of optimization algorithms for "journalistic" websites work leads them to more trashy headlines even if the majority of people would prefer something better, and the models used for coming up with future television and movies and publishing books aren't any better. We could have a nation of people with a passion for James Joyce and Yasujiro Ozu, and we'd still have junk media thrust at us every day if companies refused to improve their business models.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:30 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,123,976 times
Many people have no business going to college. It is all too often a waste of time and money, especially if someone else is paying. Day care and party time for post-high schoolers.
Some should go to trade school instead. I ended up doing something that had nothing to do with my degree, and did very well.
Leftists never give up finding stuff for government to give to them using taxpayer's dollars.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:31 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,326,286 times
No. Why not? We still need skilled tradespeople like electricians, plumbers, mechanics, etc. You don't think these people earn enough to make a good living and support a family?

My niece's husband is a Master Plumber who has never been out of work a day in over 20 years, in contrast to my college educated IT husband. Nephew also does freelance work on the side for extras.

College has been dumb downed to the point where it now required just to be a Receptionist meeting/greeting and answering phones. Absurd.

If there should be free College, then there should be free Trades School also.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
I have no issue with substantially subsidized and highly selective education for those who earn it , for certain fields of study.

Failure to maintain a defined GPA and / or failure to finish means the entire subsidy becomes a student loan, requiring repayment over time.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:37 AM

23,990 posts, read 15,096,054 times
When DH and I were in school one could almost pay for tuition and books out of the grocery money. We sent one kid to UT Austin for 4 years for 10 K total. The other to Rice for about the same. Now Rice is 50K a year. My kids lived in really shabby dorms or apartments. Now, kids want as nice as at home.

The prisons are full of people who cannot read. IMHO, since the public schools are not doing the job for many kids we now have to finish high school at the local community college.

The problem is the local schools. Mine used to train carpenters, car mechanics, etc. Not any more. I would be for paying some for community college. All if you made A's, etc.
Perhaps we could fine public schools for every kids they turn out who cannot read. Use that money for community college.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:41 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
The millenials sure are going to be paying high taxes in their lives.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:45 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,449 times
How is it free if it is expected to cost $47bn / year? That doesn't sound free to me.

Take a step back from the Occupy Wall Street talking points - The cost of a quality education is not as cost prohibitive as the OWS crowd would make you believe. Kids are burdened with debt b/c of poor college choices and poor choice in majors. How many of those protestors do you think were accounting majors, or engineering?

A motivated student can do two years at community college, and finish his/her BA degree in another 1.5 / 2 yrs at a state school, which tuition is already partially funded by the state.

The irony of Hillary talking about student loan debt? Her speech last week was at the New School in NYC, which costs $60k/yr for tuition / housing - at an arts / liberal arts school. What needs to be controlled is the expenses these public institutions are taking on, which increases tuition. Now imagine the federal gov't taking over the system? Think of how much waste and bloat will absolutely rot the system. Go walk into the post office and interact with the employees, and tell me how you can support the federal gov't being involved in education.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Right:

Maybe we should cut people off after 8th grade if they aren't ready for high school?
Better yet, you can just go into all the ghettos, pick the people who are statistically most likely to fail, deny them entrance to kindergarten and the continue to whine about how much crime comes out of their neighborhood.

Yes, my response is over the top, I realize that, but so is yours.

My suggestion is that in today's world, a college education is a necessity to compete in the global market. It's an extension of the prep-school diploma. We should CONSIDER ways to allow all young Americans WHO DEMONSTRATE SUCCESS VIA MEETING CERTAIN STANDARDS to get a higher education without going deep into debt.

"Free college" is waaaaaay too broad, and should not be promoted, but allowing people to EARN the opportunity to get educated without accumulating debt is worth looking into. Yes, it's not free. We as a society have to pay. I firmly believe that if we do it right, the cost will be more than made up through the economic development that it would generate.
But that is what Sanders is proposing..eliminate college tuition altogether and let everyone go to college FREE on other peoples' money. Hence my comment.

If "free" college were only provided to those with the skill and aptitude I might agree but it's not being proposed that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections