Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Agree with Sanders' "Free College" Platform?
Yes 65 36.52%
No 113 63.48%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 10:16 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times

Advertisements

In Europe an University education is free. At most------ in England it may cost 3,000 Euros a year.

College education in the US is a business and they train people that upon graduation cannot get a job and are stuck with a loan they cannot pay. What a scam!

Old 08-16-2015, 11:11 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,243,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Exactly. But that is how people are treating it. How many times have you heard people say, "Go to college so you can get a job?"

Regarding your question about having the qualities when I finished high school - yes. I read a lot back then (more so than I do now since I don't have as much time). I didn't need college for that. Nobody should.

[at the library]
I didn't. I was a slacker in high school mostly concerned with getting drunk and hooking up with girls.

For some people that continues into college, but I remember being floored about how college was so much better of a learning environment and for the first time putting together the connection between hard work and school success (in hs I had thought I was just stupid and didn't really try - still passed most of my classes).

Do I wish I'd handled things differently? Yes, I could have made some different choices and shaved 10-20% off my student loan burden, but I would never have the job I have now, which I like, without college, so it was worth it. My dad actually forced me to go. My plan was to join the military. I'd have come out and probably be working as a security guard or something now (nothing wrong with that, but glad I didn't take that path).

Old 08-16-2015, 11:13 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
In Europe an University education is free. At most------ in England it may cost 3,000 Euros a year.

College education in the US is a business and they train people that upon graduation cannot get a job and are stuck with a loan they cannot pay. What a scam!
That "business" is a two way street. It is odd we didn't have this problem until the government started pumping loans into the system.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:47 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:

Correct me on this if I'm wrong, but isn't it in Europe that if you don't pass "the test" by a certain age in childhood, one doesn't go to college or at least has their selection of which college severely curtailed?

Old 08-17-2015, 06:53 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,243,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Correct me on this if I'm wrong, but isn't it in Europe that if you don't pass "the test" by a certain age in childhood, one doesn't go to college or at least has their selection of which college severely curtailed?
It varies by country, but I'll use France as an example, since it's a big EU country.

France and the U.S. are pretty similar in the way their systems work up until the equivalent of about 8th grade - at that point they diverge dramatically.

These explain it decently:

Education in France and America: How Do They Compare?: Section 3 - Lycée vs. High School

Higher education in France: Lots of testing, lots of planning, not lots of money.

French universities - Higher education in France. About-France.com

Essentially if you do well on your tests at 9th grade, age 14 or 15, and continue to do well - you're pretty much set for life. You will get a good job, guaranteed, but you're constrained. You can switch from physics to chemistry easily enough, but you will have great difficulty switching from literature to chemistry.

Each successive test that you pass at the critical junctures improves your opportunities and options, although within that chosen field - which is only partly chosen by the student. The student's mentors at Lycee (high school) and Licence Professionnelle (undergrad college) have a LOT of power over what that student's career options will be since they make recommendations based on their assessment of aptitude.

What's not talked about much is that France also has very high youth unemployment and its education system is quite racist not by intent but by outcome - it's heavily weighed against the immigrant or less "traditionally" French kids who can navigate the system with help of parental and institutional knowledge advantage. The kids who make it through the pressure cooker of the battery of tests are set for life, those who make it partway through the battery are somewhat set. The popular notion is that the less advanced kids get vocational training - that's actually not true - entrance to the good vocational tracks is only mildly less prestigious than university and just as prestigious in some ways.

If you screw up that test at age 15, there is a high chance you will not recover to make it through to the 2nd half of Lycee (high school) which is college prep or the higher levels of their VoTech. That means university or tech school is not in the cards for you, period.

When you flunk out of the French system, which many do - they are not afraid to flunk you, you hit the ground on your butt, hard. There are not many options other than crap jobs - all the good jobs are preserved for the graduates, and keep in mind this is why they have 25% youth unemployment over there.

There are only 83 public colleges and universities TOTAL in France - a country of 70 million. If you combine the populations of Texas and California, it's about 70 million - and there are 72 state universities between them - let alone the community colleges which puts the total number of public colleges and universities at over 200 with some of them having multiple branch campuses. In France they have no equivalent to community colleges. If you can't hack college prep or VoTech (not easy) you wash out in high school and are on your own with the general diploma.

Last edited by redguard57; 08-17-2015 at 07:05 PM..

Old 08-17-2015, 07:04 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,903 times
Sanders would never be able to sign such a bill - a couple 120 lb. bullies will take his pen away and he will run away sniffling.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:14 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,521,615 times
Oh, come on, Bernie's a man's man! Well, the leftwing ideal of one; a girly man.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:34 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
These for profit mini colleges that scam people out of money ala ITT tech are a scourge.

I'd have to read some studies on Europe's return on investment to form an educated opinion, but what we have now is a train wreck.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:37 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Sanders would never be able to sign such a bill - a couple 120 lb. bullies will take his pen away and he will run away sniffling.
You think so? Did you see that video of him unleashing on Greenspan for his foolhardy economic policies about six years before the banks ass raped us? Google it. It may change your mind.

He has a heart, for the American people, but he's no sissy.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:56 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:

It's only free if you are in the top quartile or so.

Here in the US if you are towards the top there are many colleges, especially if you don't have much money, that are pretty close to free. There is also the ability many places to go to jr. college for the first year or two saving more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections