Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Agree with Sanders' "Free College" Platform?
Yes 65 36.52%
No 113 63.48%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 03:41 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sorry, you are right. I had posts confused.
No worries, I would be lying if I said I never did the same.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:50 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,292,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Oh by the way, you're welcome for the public education you've received. The subsidized college you attended. The safe food you eat, the roads you drive on, the internet you post nonsense on, the retirement and medical benefits you'll receive, the inept police 'protection', the subsidized (by blood) cheap oil, the stable currency, the massive infrastructure, the nuclear safety-net, the satellites orbiting our planet..

I know you're ungrateful and would rather give your money to Charles Koch so long as he promises to protect you from them eeeeeeeebil blacks/gays/moslums/soshalists. But just the same...

YOU'RE WELCOME.
It's called American privilege.

You should be ashamed of yourself living it up off the backs of slaves and slaughtered natives.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:54 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,292,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Actually you know that many are NOT capable. And you don't care. You'd rather those resources go to the billionaires.

They have money, therefore they must be virtuous. And they are virtuous, therefore they've been blessed with holy money. It's basically the American version of the Divine Right of Kings.

So yes, you love your fellow man. So long as he's a billionaire. But don't worry, I won't let ya'll screw up my country too bad. Playtime's over... the grownups have arrived
Resources like guaranteed loans for solyndra and the rest of the $80 billion clean technology scam?

Old 08-18-2015, 04:03 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,556,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So your upset Walmart is paying taxes in other countries that have their stores as well as paying taxes in the US for US stores instead of paying the U.S. Taxes for income earned in other countries.

I still cannot figure out why so many hate people that are successful.
Perhaps there's a reading comprehension issue on your end? where did I say I had an issue with Walmart paying taxes? Please, stop the spin. Billionaires and huge corporations don't deserve tax breaks. THAT is what I am saying. Focus, please.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:07 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
I heartily endorse Sander's generous offer to pay for everyone's tuition at college - at his expense.
But if he wants to compel everyone else to pay for his idea, I do not think so.

Voluntary charity = blessing
Compulsory charity = curse

Old 08-18-2015, 06:59 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Just a personal observation or two.

In my first undergrad, Dad, under his conditions, paid for what the Navy didn't pay for.

When I got out of the Navy, Dad said that since he had paid for my brothers' master degrees, he would to the same for me. After a few semesters, I stopped asking for money and a few years later, he mentioned it to me. I told him that I felt uncomfortable taking his money. He told me that was understandable since I had been on my own for many years and then I was back sort of under his roof. Moreso, he respected me for wanting to be independent like that.

Secondly, when I was working on my post graduate degrees, I could have used additional programs that paid for all of it. I didn't. I had heard once that those that pay for college themselves get more out of it and I wanted to experience that, so I used a program that paid for half of it but paid the rest myself. I do believe that having something of one's own stake in it does enable one to get more out of college.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:09 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Perhaps there's a reading comprehension issue on your end? where did I say I had an issue with Walmart paying taxes? Please, stop the spin. Billionaires and huge corporations don't deserve tax breaks. THAT is what I am saying. Focus, please.
Billionaires and corporations have a tax rate too high, that is why we have deductions.

Why do deserve all the tax breaks you receive? Let me guess, you turn down all your deductions.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:44 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Governor Christie believes in free college for illegals yet raising the age to collect social security. I think Christie has his priorities wrong as usual.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9BJ00K20131220

Old 08-18-2015, 10:10 PM

906 posts, read 712,810 times
I owe 30k in student loans and if that were to happen then I shouldnt be expected to pay it back.

Hell, its criminal that we have been forced into such debt in the name of bettering ourselves. Should we not have gone to college? Or, should only the rich go to college? Which is it?

I have these student loan sharks on my tail trying to get me to commit to a payment plan, debt that they bought for pennies on the dollar. Im like, I'll commit to buy my debt from you for a similar rate...I can set up an LLC too, you know..

But Im not stupid enough to commit 30k to you at this point in time. Hell, I rather set up a company, buy my bad debt for the 2cts per dollar they bought it for, sell the rest of the debt packages they sell debt in, never collect on my own debt, make a profit, and close the LLC. In the end, I promise, that debt will pay me..Im not stupid enough to have it not to.

If they push me too far, Im seriously going to contact other debtors for this company and press them to buy into my company for a penny with the promise of forgiving all that debt once it is in my name, once Ive bought it for the pennies they bought it for. They really dont know who they are dealing with..

If it were the cost of the education, I wouldnt have much of an issue. But the fact that they increased costs when funding increased, gouging students in the process, yeah..it isn't anything Im going to lay down and take. On this issue, something will have to give...and I say all this as Im headed for graduate school haha..

Last edited by gumisgood; 08-18-2015 at 10:23 PM..

Old 08-18-2015, 10:57 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,399,266 times
No one in their right mind, to include the poor, should be for "free college". Of course, the dumbest people in the country will vote for it and maybe even eventually get it to everyone's loss.

Why is such a policy terrible?

Well, two generations ago graduating high school was an accomplishment that would see most people employed for their entire lives. High school, and even elementary school, were much more difficult than they are now. Standards were higher and less people graduating meant that the qualification had more value.

When high school became free and a mandate was given that everyone should graduate, the standards predictably declined and the average liberal arts college degree became valued at roughly what high school diplomas were in the past. That is, attaining one is what conveyed minimal competency for most jobs that offered a modicum of a liveable wage.

Making college free will have the same effect. Colleges will be flooded with people who should not be there, the value of such a degree will decline even more than it already has, and graduate degrees will be seen as the minimum competency in the future. And so it goes. The bureaucratic class n wins by further justifying large departments to regulate and monitor everyone's "right" to a college education. Forever unemployable young people would be effectively warehoused in the system for much longer, revealing social pressure that would otherwise need to be alleviated through menial jobs creation. Colleges will be expanded and their standards drastically decreased. The birth rate will drop further as people put off starting families for longer periods of time, so as to get through school. And more...

Paying for University education is a filter. It's not like absolutely anyone cannot get a Stafford loan. There is currently no effective financial barrier. There is only a competence barrier that keeps the value of University degrees somewhat high, even if that barrier is at minimum going through the easy process of applying for a Stafford loan as well as to colleges themselves. That barrier will deteriorate with free college education. In fact, I predict that the people who are least likely to currently go to college would be hurt the worst through the further devaluation of what they can realistically accomplish.

Last edited by golgi1; 08-18-2015 at 11:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections