Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Agree with Sanders' "Free College" Platform?
Yes 65 36.52%
No 113 63.48%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 02:09 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Most liberals call that corporate welfare.
forget about liberals - that's exactly what it is.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:21 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhead1977 View Post
They wouldn't get a tax break, they would just not have to pay taxes for keeping a good chunk of their company off shore. So any companies who uses offshore manufacturing should basically have some sort of import tax.

Why are you defending corporations and billionaires by the way? Just how much money does one CEO making billions need when their lowest paid employee is on temp status?
Corporations are doing the same exact thing that you are doing.
Most entire tax system is based on rate and deductions. I'm all for a lowered flat tax, but everyone seems to not like their pet exemption being taken away.

The fact is the U.S. Tax rate on corporations and the wealthy is higher than most countries. All those European countries you love have a regressive tax system. I would be more than happy to have a regressive tas system so those not paying any federal taxes actually pay their fair share.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:30 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
I agree with free education but only if Professors are reduced to $65,000 a year. That is a fair living wage in my opinion. Hard to have free when the Profs make over $200,000 a year.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:52 PM

105 posts, read 106,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Exactly!!

I really don't get the rationale behind defending tax breaks and corporate WELFARE (YES! it IS in fact, WELFARE), so that CEO's and multi millionaires/billionaires can keep getting richer, on the US taxpayers teet!

ALL THE WHILE - taking these BILLIONS OF DOLLARS from the US taxpayers and exploiting H-1B visas to import cheap labor in a move which actually screws the US taxpayer

GROSS! just gross
Do you live in the Northeast?

Old 08-20-2015, 08:14 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
For what reason? A college education is not a right. It is not even necessary.

If young people are not graduating HS with the skills required to enter the workforce, fix it. If there are not enough decent paying jobs, than explore why.

There are far better uses for the resources and money that would be used to further educate the masses. Besides, tax payers are already paying for all the public libraries that are going underutilized. You can learn anything you want in there for free.
1. A library is not constructed for use, it's constructed for public display of benevolence, especially since it's easy to put a name on them. (that said libraries have high potential for usefulness, but seldom gets near that potential)

2. Graduating highschool does make you usefull for the workforce... in china, ehtiopia, india, etc, where labor concentrated work is in high demand, and expanding.
Because when you and I invest in a company that produces something, we want a return on our investment, which means putting production in these growing economies. This in turn means that we passively expect the managers of the companies we invest in to cancel the employment of HS educated people in countries like the US, Canada, EU-members etc, and move them abroad.

What is unspoken happening in between Asia and Europe atm is that we're compeeting in the education race, it's nice for us if we don't have to compete with the US as well, but unfortunatly for us, Asia is winning. Hence the school-crisis in several EU-countries etc.

Still it's interesting to read the US discussion about who should be allowed entering college or not, and who should pay for it or not, while the focus here is essentially "how many can we push through university per unit of time"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I agree with free education but only if Professors are reduced to $65,000 a year. That is a fair living wage in my opinion. Hard to have free when the Profs make over $200,000 a year.
It's hard to keep a good professor at a university if they're payed peanuts, and their corporate options are too much better as well...
You could market-price the professors after how eligible they are to disappear to the industry instead.

Several of the proffessors I currently have or have had in different subjects as an engineering student are or have been part time CEOs of small tech companies, and are cofounders of several such enterprises. Apart from this they are often consulted by larger tech companies, some of them American. I imagine if their incentives to keep engaging themselves with the university became less attractive, the university would lose them.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:16 PM

174 posts, read 124,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Corporations are doing the same exact thing that you are doing.
Most entire tax system is based on rate and deductions. I'm all for a lowered flat tax, but everyone seems to not like their pet exemption being taken away.

The fact is the U.S. Tax rate on corporations and the wealthy is higher than most countries. All those European countries you love have a regressive tax system. I would be more than happy to have a regressive tas system so those not paying any federal taxes actually pay their fair share.
So you're ok with American companies outsourcing manufacturing jobs? Not sure why you think I love European countries either. I've never been to one.

Anyway, I'd rather my taxes cover education and healthcare for my fellow citizens rather than enhance some hedge funder with more money he doesn't need while we have a huge working poor class.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:40 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:

a tax break by it's very definition means you're getting help. Billionaire's don't need financial help.

I just love the hypocrites who are against welfare and helping the poor but billionaires and corporate welfare?? No problem!!
Actually wrong..

a tax CREDIT means you're getting help.. not a deduction.. and corporations dont usually get credits...

PEOPLE do.. and most of them poor..

Old 08-21-2015, 07:41 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
Exactly!!

I really don't get the rationale behind defending tax breaks and corporate WELFARE (YES! it IS in fact, WELFARE), so that CEO's and multi millionaires/billionaires can keep getting richer, on the US taxpayers teet!

ALL THE WHILE - taking these BILLIONS OF DOLLARS from the US taxpayers and exploiting H-1B visas to import cheap labor in a move which actually screws the US taxpayer

GROSS! just gross
Please cite for me some corporate "CREDITS".. not deductions..

Old 08-21-2015, 07:42 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,966,446 times
No, but our education does needs some major reform and college tuition needs to go down.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:42 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Why would you want a professor to be paid such a low wage? It makes no sense.

Education is already free to competent students, generally speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections