Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Agree with Sanders' "Free College" Platform?
Yes 65 36.52%
No 113 63.48%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 10:20 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,973,518 times

Advertisements

There is no such thing as 'free'. Every time someone offers "free" it means they intend to waste a lot of money and you will be paying for it.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:23 PM

300 posts, read 349,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
if you work for certain employers (Amazon Fulfillment is the most prominent I'm aware of) you can already get free college.

But there's one catch; the program has to be in a field of study useful to the employer; no Oriental philosophy or similar Liberal Artsie gobbledegook.

And that restriction would, of course, strip away any usefulness from the program -- as viewed by the dreamers in Sanders' camp, anyway.
More than likely, thats if you get the job with them and have the degree in your hand already. The part about philosophy and liberal arts, I agree with you on that extent. I do think that if we offer free college tuition, it should go to studies that are in demand. Liberal arts stuff should just be taught by the private colleges and not state universities.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
There is no such thing as 'free'. Every time someone offers "free" it means they intend to waste a lot of money and you will be paying for it.
It does require a tax base, but I like that you are pretty much saying that education is a waste of money while in reality we spend much more on wars and the military than China and Russia combined. The military isn't free too and instead of throwing billions on the military, move that money over for free tuition?

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/201...ion1-thumb.jpg

Old 07-22-2015, 06:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94buickcentury View Post
It does require a tax base, but I like that you are pretty much saying that education is a waste of money while in reality we spend much more on wars and the military than China and Russia combined. The military isn't free too and instead of throwing billions on the military, move that money over for free tuition?

But Bernie Sanders is not proposing that and this thread was asking if we agree with Bernie Sanders proposal.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:32 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
And, if "someone" else is paying for it, then that "someone" else decides which majors people that are getting free can go into. Certain percentages go to STEM, certain (way lower percentages) go to Business, Education, etc and then a tiny small percentage goes to anything from the liberal arts soft social sciences arena.
That's a formula for disaster. It is essentially communist planning applied to the earliest stages of the labor force; it is not possible to predict which majors will be economically productive a few years out.
(e.g my favorite example, where soft social science geography is currently dramatically more productive than nearly all of the S majors in STEM)

Old 07-22-2015, 06:34 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
Quote:

Maintaining the military is of the few things the gubment should expressly be doing pursuant to the constitution.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Maintaining the military is of the few things the gubment should expressly be doing pursuant to the constitution.
But to what extent? They can still have a military without spending more than all countries combined. It's insane. Plus, the military money doesn't go to who you think it goes to. It mainly goes to corporations who benefit from wars including Lockheed Martin and Boeing.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But Bernie Sanders is not proposing that and this thread was asking if we agree with Bernie Sanders proposal.
Yeah and?

I am basically providing a rebuttle for those who don't want tuition to be free.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
ya know..Bernie has to include free books, free lab fees, free parking stickers and free college fees as well.

My son's books for next semester are totaling near $600 and those are used books.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:08 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Yeah and?

I am basically providing a rebuttle for those who don't want tuition to be free.
There is no such thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections