Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 09:59 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

I would not be surprised if Pastor Manning gave Trump his endorsement.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:14 AM

26,577 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I would not be surprised if Pastor Manning gave Trump his endorsement.
"Mr. Trump realizes why black people are going to vote for him," [ Pastor James ] Manning said. "He is truthful"

ooof!!!

Old 12-01-2015, 10:19 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
So Donald Trump's meeting with 100 black pastors was not cancelled and in fact took place yesterday, apparently lasting for 2 1/2 hours. As far as endorsements, there was at least one, Pastor Darrell Scott, with both he and Trump insisting that there were a number of others as well. Pastor Scott went on to say that the remaining undecided pastors were praying about it.

Quote:
Trump insists 'most' black pastors endorsing him

Donald Trump is insisting that “most” of the 100 black pastors he met with on Monday are endorsing him for president. “I thought it was an amazing meeting. I met some fantastic people,” Trump said following the private meeting at Trump Tower.

The GOP presidential front-runner had canceled a planned press conference on Sunday where he was to have highlighted the endorsements of 100 black religious leaders. He did so after several of the pastors denied they were endorsing Trump for president.

Darrell Scott, a pastor at the New Spirit Revival Center in Cleveland Heights, Ohio, stood by Trump’s side on Monday, saying that the meeting was “productive” and “constructive” and that the group of religious leaders are a “united front.” “We voiced concerns sensitive to the African-American community,” Scott said. “We’re all satisfied with the answers.”

Scott said there were a number of pastors who endorsed Trump, but didn’t have an official number. He said the religious leaders who remain undecided are “praying about it.” “Nobody at this meeting came out with negative reaction in any kind of way,” Scott said, adding that “Everybody in the room likes Donald Trump.”

Omarosa Manigault-Stallworth, a former contestant on Trump’s reality show "The Apprentice" who is now a minister, also stood next to Trump at the press conference. At the end of the press conference, Trump emphasized that he’s made no financial commitments to any of the churches.
So, in my experience, endorsements are not secret affairs where you have to wonder about who is offering the endorsement. Then again, the racist intimidation tactics that were apparently used against these pastors by others in the black community in the run-up to this event raise concerns that may explain why any additional pastors who are supporting Trump would want to handle that in their own, lower-profile manner.

Nevertheless, Trump bungled this quite badly, as some of the pastors were apparently offended about the apparently premature insistence that they were endorsing him when they had not yet formally agreed to do so. If this were any other candidate except Hillary Clinton, whose supporters are clearly just as mindlessly and obliviously supportive of her as Donald Trump's supporters are of him, this would have been been a big blow that would probably have resulted in some sort of measurable loss of support.

However, in the final analysis, Trump has clearly developed an open collaboration and a partnership of sorts with these pastors in the field of political ideas and solutions, on which they all appear to share at least some common ground. This will be an especially big help to him if he somehow makes it to the general election as the Republican nominee, which I do not expect will happen.

In the present, this is also a clear example of Republican politicians reaching out to black voters in an effort to win their votes. So from now on, whenever an example of that is called for, this meeting conducted by Donald Trump is an example that can be offered.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:26 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I would never do business with Trump. I would soon do business with the 43rd President of the USA/former owner of the Texas Rangers than Trump.
Talk about a tough choice...

Old 12-01-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Then again, the racist intimidation tactics that were apparently used against these pastors by others in the black community ...
exactly what tactics were those? trump guessed that the pastors that were critical of him were intimidated by BLM but offered to proof to support this claim.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:32 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
So Donald Trump's meeting with 100 black pastors was not cancelled and in fact took place yesterday, apparently lasting for 2 1/2 hours. As far as endorsements, there was at least one, Pastor Darrell Scott, with both he and Trump insisting that there were a number of others as well. Pastor Scott went on to say that the remaining undecided pastors were praying about it.

So, in my experience, endorsements are not secret affairs where you have to wonder about who is offering the endorsement. Then again, the racist intimidation tactics that were apparently used against these pastors by others in the black community in the run-up to this event raise concerns that may explain why any additional pastors who are supporting Trump would want to handle that in their own, lower-profile manner.

Nevertheless, Trump bungled this quite badly, as some of the pastors were apparently offended about the apparently premature insistence that they were endorsing him when they had not yet formally agreed to do so. If this were any other candidate except Hillary Clinton, whose supporters are clearly just as mindlessly and obliviously supportive of her as Donald Trump's supporters are of him, this would have been been a big blow that would probably have resulted in some sort of measurable loss of support.

However, in the final analysis, Trump has clearly developed an open collaboration and a partnership of sorts with these pastors in the field of political ideas and solutions, on which they all appear to share at least some common ground. This will be an especially big help to him if he somehow makes it to the general election as the Republican nominee, which I do not expect will happen.

In the present, this is also a clear example of Republican politicians reaching out to black voters in an effort to win their votes. So from now on, whenever an example of that is called for, this meeting conducted by Donald Trump is an example that can be offered.

There really hasn't been any evidence of any intimidation tactics used, other than Trump saying well it must have been BLM. The only Pastor at this meeting that endorsed Trump was Scott, who was already backing Trump.

From this point it appears that Scott (who was already supporting Trump) put together a meeting with other Pastors and Trump. Trump's campaign called this meeting an endorsement, which the Pastors had no intention of making and were upset as a result. They did hold the meeting (though some of the Pastors didn't go) and the only endorsement he got out of this was Scott, who was already supporting him. Scott has claimed others will wind up supporting Trump, but none of the others have made any indication that they will and in some cases made statements about the meeting that are in direct contrast to what Trump said occurred.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
"Mr. Trump realizes why black people are going to vote for him," [ Pastor James ] Manning said. "He is truthful"

ooof!!!

Good old Pastor Manning. The same man who has admitted that he didn't want to be a Black man.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:37 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Here is a second pastor who attended this meeting yesterday Pastor Mark Burns, who is publicly endorsing Trump:

Quote:
Black Pastor Backs Trump: "I'm No Uncle Tom," He's "A Strong Leader Who Will Bring Strength Back To America"

On Monday afternoon, Pastor Mark Burns, co-founder of the NOW television network, one of the many black pastors who met with Donald Trump Monday afternoon, announced his support for the Republican presidential hopeful and shared the large amount of praise Trump received from his religious colleagues.

"This meeting was extremely successful," the pastor said on MSNBC. "There was extremely strong support. He received many, many endorsements from the pastors that were there. It was a jam-packed room, standing support for Mr. Trump. Very good dialogue that we had back and forth and Donald Trump made it very clear that he's willing to do whatever it takes to win the black vote."

"There were signed endorsement cards that were handed out," Burns explained. "And there were many of them. I didn't get an accurate count because people were handing them over."
And once again, here we see the clear evidence of the racial harassment and intimidation of these men by other members of the black community. Racism is alive and well in the black community, as has been demonstrated here in connection with this event, yet again, as some of these people are apparently attacking him with racist insults like "coon," "Uncle Tom," and are baselessly insisting he was bribed:

Quote:
Asked by MSNBC's Kate Snow to respond to another pastor at the meeting who said he was not pleased with Trump, Burns had no idea who the person was.

"[MSNBC anchor] Thomas Roberts had a pastor on with him maybe two hours ago, who said he's absolutely not endorsing Donald Trump and was attending that meeting with you, and said, I feel, this was his words. He said, 'I don't think he speaks to the African American community. I think he's said things that are disparaging about Latinos and minorities.' He was pointing to a number of things where he sees conflict with Donald Trump," Snow said.

Burns called the claim a "fabrication" and made it clear that his endorsement came with no strings attached and he is not receiving anything from Trump:
I don't know who you're speaking about, but trust me, when I tell you, I'm not an Uncle Tom, no coon, nobody's been paid. I have not been offered a position. This is me looking at the politics, and looking at an individual, a strong leader that i believe that's going to bridge and bring a strength back to America.
And in that room, there were pastors from all across the country, that were showing their support, many of them signed actual documents, endorsement cards, showing their support... this preposterous tone of offensive things that he said about Latinos in the meeting, it's a fabrication.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Here is a second pastor who attended this meeting yesterday Pastor Mark Burns, who is publicly endorsing Trump:

And once again, here we see the clear evidence of the racial harassment and intimidation of these men by other members of the black community. Racism is alive and well in the black community, as has been demonstrated here in connection with this event, yet again, as some of these people are apparently attacking him with racist insults like "coon," "Uncle Tom," and are baselessly insisting he was bribed:

[/indent]
Look, resorting to intimidation is wrong. And I would not call Pastor Scott or Pastor Burns an Uncle Tom. I don't think they hates Blacks. I think they just don't get it. Why endorse someone who openly insults your race?

Anyone who would make a blatantly bigoted statement, and then turn around and expect endorsement from such persons, that is not a strong leader. Anyone who said "I whine until I get what I want" is not a strong leader. Anyone who claims "I like soldiers who weren't captured" is not a strong leader.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Pastor Scott went on to say that the remaining undecided pastors were praying about it.
yep. seems to me that a clear correct choice void of any moral ambiguity wouldn't require praying over.

Quote:
So, in my experience, endorsements are not secret affairs....
yep, that's basically the main point of an endorsement is knowing who is giving the endorsement.

Quote:
Nevertheless, Trump bungled this quite badly,...
agreed.

Quote:
So from now on, whenever an example of that is called for, this meeting conducted by Donald Trump is an example that can be offered.
i definitely think trump will keep pointed back to this meeting to deflect from a myriad of attacks but, IMO, this meeting hurt trump more than it helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections