Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 10:40 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,143,595 times

Advertisements

Save for a minor number of salient points made, Trump won the debate by not being there.

Yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 10:43 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
That's ridicules. Admittedly Trump was a man of few words tonight on the debate stage. He must have lost a lot of weight too because he was hard to see behind that podium. Make no mistake about it he won the voters and Trump won the debate too. Everyone who watched the fundraiser for veterans knows that.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:07 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Cruz needed to win this one. The fact that he didn't even with Trump not present does not bode well for him.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:10 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,490,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Cruz needed to win this one. The fact that he didn't even with Trump not present does not bode well for him.
Trump will take Iowa, NH and SC... but there's no need for polls or who won this and that, Iowa is only a few days away! Rubber meet road! Fasten your seatbelts, here we go!

Old 01-28-2016, 11:12 PM

4,204 posts, read 2,343,600 times
Fox News says Bush has a chance for nomination

Old 01-28-2016, 11:14 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,490,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Fox News says Bush has a chance for nomination
There's also a chance one of us may get hit by lightning or win the Powerball. Yawn...

Old 01-29-2016, 12:15 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
After looking forward to the rally/debate, I turned on CNN when Wolf Blitzer was on and fell asleep before the Trump event. I saw the people outside lined up for it and that's about it. When I woke up, I had missed the entire thing. I went over to Fox News and they were at the point where they were a question right before closing statements. So, I missed that, too. I went back to CNN and watched their entire post-debate analysis (8 person panel with Anderson Cooper) - 4 of the 8 on the panel were a Trump supporter, a Cruz supporter, a Bush supporter who is also friends with Rubio and a Republican Strategist who worked on the Romney campaign.

Without first reading the posts of those who posted before me (so as not to bias what I heard myself), this is what I'm gathering from the CNN post-debate analysis. Please tell me if you disagree after watching the debate yourself:

1. Jeb Bush had a very strong debate. The jury is out whether this was because Trump wasn't in his head or because he's got nothing left to lose so he felt relaxed.

2. Rand Paul had a strong debate although it's not clear to me why.

3. The majority believed Cruz picked the wrong debate timing-wise to have his worst debate night. (Note: I've posted that Cruz would not fare as well on defense with everyone gunning for him instead of Trump.) He whined (not my word) about everyone attacking him because the moderators egged them on with their questions. I do not know what those questions were. He was booed by the audience in a clip shown on CNN. For what, I can't recall.

4. Fox News keyed up videos clearly originally aimed at the Trump they were expecting. (I have no idea what was on the videos but I found it strange that CNN assumed we did because we were watching the debate not their own coverage of the Trump event.)

5. Trump probably made the right decision not to play but not for the Ailes/Kelly/Veterans reason. They pretty much said he did the right thing to protect his lead. They are also comparing it to Hillary/Sanders. Sanders doesn't want a debate right before NH votes because he's leading and he's demanding that if he agrees to it, she has to first commit to 2 dates in the Spring apparently right before the states vote where she's leading.

6. The CNN fact checker looked at 4 statements made during the debate, 2 they deemed false (Cruz and someone else, Rubio, I think) and 2 they deemed true (1 by Carson and 1 by Paul).

7. Rubio sounded canned (not the exact word they used but what was implied is he's too polished/over-rehearsed).

8. The debate was boring and no one heard anything new. Everyone is still in agreement it will be turnout, not the debate, that determines the outcome on Monday. A CNN person gave the turnout numbers that will determine who will win.

9. There are an awful lot of Iowans who are still undecided (Or are they? They are stating this based on their reporters asking people for which candidate are they voting the night of the debate. Could it be some Iowa voters just don't want to tell the reporters on camera?)

10. The debate isn't going to change the votes of people who had made up their minds before the debate.

11. Per CNN panel, John Kasich was at the Iowa debate but he was not really speaking to Iowans. He was speaking to New Hampshire voters.

12. CNN interviewed Huckabee (they may have interviewed Santorum, too, but if so that happened while I was sleeping) after the Trump event and he seemed happy as all get out for the attention and as someone on CNN said, probably saw and spoke to the biggest crowd outside of the debates since he decided to run.

13. The only name I never heard was Fiorina...and Gilmore meaning Huckabee and Santorum probably made a good decision to attend the Trump event or no one would be talking about them, either. Both were seen in a CNN clip I saw after it was over.

14. The number of people who registered and never caucused for the Republicans was given on CNN. Of that amount, the number who were formerly Democrats was also given. Sad to say I don't recall the number but if CNN had it on Thursday night, we'll probably read it today. David Axelrod (a CNN panelist) said that Republican caucusing is easier to do than Democrat caucusing. Apparently, Republicans do less talking and their ballots are secret.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:50 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times
I've seen enough....

I officially watched my last primary debate tonight. I was so bored with this one, and not because Trump wasn't there, but because I am feeling burned out on all this. The polls are what they are, I don't foresee them changing anytime soon. We know who stands where and who we like and who we don't.

I said I wouldn't watch anymore debates once the first votes are cast in the primary, and I'm sticking to it.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:57 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Some of them do use religion as a tool but some of these Republicans live, breathe and bath in their religion and couldn't separate it from who'd they'd be as a president if they tried. Carson and Rubio fall in the latter category.
I don't think Rubio falls in to that category. I think he's pandering. I never heard him mention his faith before last week or so. Can't stand fakes, but I would vote for Rubio if I had to. Rubio, Cruz, and Paul are the only acceptable candidates running.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:41 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,669,626 times
Think trump messed up, seems.

Last edited by owl6969; 01-29-2016 at 01:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections