Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 11:35 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Who's with me?
The same people who voted for McCain and Romney!

Expect the same result.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:51 AM

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Trump inherited 200 Million in properties from his father, so he had quite a head start as far as that goes.

And NO, Trump Vodka, Trump water and Trump steaks were Trump owned companies that produced and sold these products. They were not a result of licensing deals.

A list of everything Donald Trump runs that has his name on it - Quartz

Trump Ice LLC
Trump Ice Inc
Trump Marks Fine Foods LLC
Trump Marks Fine Foods Member Corp
Trump Drinks Israel Holdings LLC
Trump Drinks Israel Holdings Member Corp
Trump Drinks Israel LLC
Trump Drinks Israel Member Corp

These are the Trump entities that manufactured and distributed Trump Vodka, Trump Ice and Trump Steaks before they failed.
I think you just proved the other poster's point. Donald Trump became president of the company in 1974. His father died in 1999. So how much of that inheritance was Donald Trump responsible for creating? Not to mention, his siblings shared in the inheritance of the corporation.

Donald Trump was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Nobody is arguing that. So if people are going to state this as if it is a negative, why not just state it without the embellishments and deliberate omissions? And I don't blame you, because I'm sure you are just repeating what you have heard or read. But why do the original creators of this "spin" feel the need to state it this way?

This is how the real, true criticism gets lost in the noise. When someone makes a claim that may have substance, people are skeptical and take it with a grain of salt because there are so many untruths out there that they just don't know what to believe.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:00 PM

684 posts, read 714,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
The fence is not to keep out "M"s, it is to keep out "I"s. ILLEGALS. I don't care what nationality or religion. You stay out unless you apply properly and are admitted after appropriate vetting. Frankly, I don't think we should let any fundamentalist types in the country from any religion or any region. We don't need more irrational people in this country.
After listening to trump supporters we proposed making a bacon fence. Many Muslims local to NJ got offended and went to NJ restaurants ordering pork products.

My greatest issues are:
1. Religious rights of people who currently are on US soil.
2. Current slave like conditions for the undocumented workers.
3. Reasonable Immigration policy that treats all people in a humane and respectable manner.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:01 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,200,465 times
Thumbs up Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
I'm with ya too. I'm about to leave my house to go vote for Trump. Looks like he is going to win my state based on the recent polls.

I hope everyone does the same!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srGlyFyghRk

Old 03-15-2016, 01:43 PM

465 posts, read 257,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I could not agree more. Here is what I think is going on.

First, a snapshot of the Trump supporters...and I say this in reference to the BULK of his supporters, not all. But his supporters are for the most part:
  • White
  • Male
  • Blue Collar/Not Highly Educated
  • Upset...no, angry...at BOTH Major Political Parties
One of Trump's most notable shticks in his campaign is that he is anti-political correctness. Since the dawn of the millennium, we have heard a lot in this country in the fields of academia and media about ideas such as "white privilege" and "male privilege", which can be seen as part of a political correctness agenda. Now, for the prototypical Donald Trump supporter, these ideas are completely foreign and unrecognizable in their lives. They say, "I'M privileged? Are you f---ing kidding me?" because, indeed, it would be absurd to call them privileged. They have had to struggle and fight along the way for most of their lives. They have simply heard enough of what they regard as utter bulls--t and have finally reached their breaking point.

These are the people who have been left behind and ignored for the longest time. Their manufacturing and agricultural jobs have been taken away, and their communities have been hollowed out. No one, neither party, has come to their assistance. The Democrats have been mostly concerned with helping minorities and women. The Republicans have ignored them in favor of cozying up to "Big Business"/"Corporate America." Both parties have failed them in trade and have sent their jobs overseas (and in case you have not noticed, Trump...and Bernie Sanders...talks about this ALL of the time).

They look around and have concluded, possibly quite accurately, that no one in Washington cares about them. So, along comes Trump, who is not a politician, and they see the opportunity to blow the whole system up. They are jumping at the opportunity because nothing else has worked for them and there is an air of desperation about them. Sure, plenty of these supporters have nasty racist tendencies, and Trump's language made that an easier connection to them right off of the bat, but there are plenty of non-racists in there as well who are willing to dismiss or deny the things that he has said because they are battered and down and out.

A lot of this country, from rural areas all over to the Rust Belt, has been screwed over, and they know it. Yet, because they are not members of a historically disenfranchised community, the powers that be refuse to acknowledge it or try to fix it. Donald Trump's rise is a result of the failures of both parties.

If I could give the archetype for the Donald Trump voter, I would say it's the "THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!" people from South Park. And that cuts multiple ways. Trade took their jobs. Illegal immigrants took their jobs. Advances in technology took their jobs. They are angry, and rightly so. To them, the concerns over protecting minorities are trivial or even counterproductive. The problem with Trump though is that, in addition to the racism, I just don't think that there is reason to believe that if Trump is elected, he will actually do what he says he will do in regards to trade and bringing back manufacturing. Given the fact the he IS Corporate America and has close personal relationships with plenty of other people just like him who will remain in the private sector, I think he will just throw them favors.

This is simply what happens when people are left behind and no one fights for them. It has been a long time coming, and hopefully the scare of a Donald Trump presidency is actually a blessing in disguise and helps wake up both parties to stop ignoring a large portion of the country and taking their vote for granted. And for the record, in case it wasn't clear enough, I am NOT a Donald Trump supporter by any stretch of the imagination. But I do think there is some merit to be found in what he has done.
This is by far the best explanation for Trump support that I have ever seen. For the life of me I couldn't understand why so many people would get behind someone so hateful, especially people who seem otherwise normal, but you've fleshed it out quite nicely. Thanks.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:45 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,489,000 times
Already voted for Trump - Cheers!

Old 03-15-2016, 03:07 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik1680 View Post
This is by far the best explanation for Trump support that I have ever seen. For the life of me I couldn't understand why so many people would get behind someone so hateful, especially people who seem otherwise normal, but you've fleshed it out quite nicely. Thanks.
Look, the fact remains that Trump isn't even remotely "hateful". This is the narrative put forth by the media and political opponents who can't stand the guy (and obviously due to his preponderance to resort to juvenile tactics). Most of the hysterical people right now thinks Trump supports David Duke, which is what the media wants you to believe but the reality remains that he had no idea who the guy was at that rally and now the media just won't let go the idea that Trump is the next KKK grand Klansman lol. Trump isn't racist, he supports American jobs and legal immigration and so many have drunk the kool-aid that this makes him "hateful". Give me a break, this is such an insult to his supporters and draws even more supporters to him - the media hasn't quite figured this out yet

Old 03-15-2016, 03:10 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,121,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Who's with me?
Thank you for this thread. We have been experiencing a severe shortage of Trump-related threads here of late. Well thought out threads are always an asset to a website like this. Good job!

Mick

Old 03-15-2016, 03:11 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post

I hope everyone does the same!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srGlyFyghRk
Jesus is disgusted with Trump and feaux Christian support

Old 03-15-2016, 03:12 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
There are numerous reasons to be anti-Trump, but for the life of me I don't get the belittling of the movement behind it. From a political science perspective we would be much better served to understand it. But I get it, the easy way is to just belittle the whole thing. "Anyone with more than a 5th grade education" is not a serious reading of what is going on and only fuels his candidacy because it simply not true.

The ironic part is the person posting the 5th grade education thing would support Sanders, who, if you indeed had a greater than 5th grade understanding of economics you couldn't possibly support. But 5th graders do believe in free stuff. So theres that.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The same people who voted for McCain and Romney!

Expect the same result.
Wrong. I did not vote for either one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections