Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 11:28 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,670,149 times

Advertisements

The bigger question is, does it really matter if we have TRUMP or CLINTON for PRESIDENT...

NO IT DOES NOT!!!

Old 07-19-2016, 11:30 AM

391 posts, read 454,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
The bigger question is, does it really matter if we have TRUMP or CLINTON for PRESIDENT...

NO IT DOES NOT!!!
It matters. Id rather have Pimpin Bill Clinton than Moronic Melania as the first spouse.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:31 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,684,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Trump broke that rule when he attacked Hillary's husband.
And Cruz's wife.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:32 AM

27,686 posts, read 16,171,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Thank you.. I think we all need a diversion now and again

Old 07-19-2016, 11:33 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,939,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
And that is the really scary part.
By late November, Don & Melania Trump's 15 minutes of fame will be over and they will be quickly forgotten.
But the millions of Trumpanzess will still be with us.
Scary I guess but mainly saddening. Never dreamed I would see America devolve so quickly. I knew it was happening, started back in the 70's and 80's and culminated with Trump. I just underestimated the power of propaganda and how easily people can be led down the path.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:34 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,711,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So you don't care about the content. Why don't you just elect a centerfold and give them the nuclear codes? If Michelle Obama had repeated Melania's words and claimed them as her own, Trump and the GOP would be BALLISTIC. What's more, he insults President Obama for eight years, then his wife uses Michelle Obama's words? Unforgivable.
Hmm, maybe so, but Dems are going ballistic now. Is it unforgivable that Mrs. Obama took something that probably millions of hardworking people the world over, since the beginning of time, have said? Only one part is questionable, but no one holds a patent on "your word is your bond" or "you have to work hard to get what you want".

Old 07-19-2016, 11:36 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,478,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Melania is our last hope for a true princess . In my opinion she has a all the elements of the likes of Princes Diana, but adds a few traits that exceed expectations I won't share here ( beyond drop dead gorgeous looks).When writing within the qualities of a person seeking political office there is a traditional reteric or a list of goals common to society that needs to be heard. Melania and Michelle drew from that list as did Mrs Dole ,Regan, and Carter all a mimmic of one another with a few tweeks. Her delivery was breathtakenly simple and down to earth. The remarkable Trump's are a pleasant departure from stiff neck rich yet able to spit in the face of spin doctors and fools while just moving along with confidence. They cope and tolerate a segment of society who they don't need and who " don't get it"... change.

Laughable assertions. Remarkable? Yes, remarkably for having COPIED the speech. There's no back-pedaling on this and, Melania 'drew' from Michelle's speech...a LOT. It's called .

BTW, NO ONE is hoping for a 'princess'.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:36 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,913,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Just curious...

Does it matter to you that Michelle Obama lifted parts of her speech?

Or that Barack Obama has copied parts of speeches?

Or that Biden has?

Or that Hillary has done it?

Does it matter in the grand scheme of things that MLK Jr. lifted parts of speeches (he didn't come up with the phrase "I have a dream that one day...") and even plagiarized on his university dissertation to get his doctorate?

Michelle Obama Copied Alinsky in Speech Melania Trump Plagiarized

Boston U. Panel Finds Plagiarism by Dr. King - NYTimes.com

How much does the above matter to you?

What is worse, Hillary the candidate lifting speeches or the spouse of a candidate lifting parts of a speech?

Are you part of a cult or are there bigger things at stake in a presidential election than the spouse's speech?
It does matter when people commit plagiarism.

It also matters that people don't understand what plagiarism is, or when they actively try to perpetuate a false understanding of plagiarism, as several of your links do.

Plagiarism isn't a matter of copying a word or a phrase, it's about using someone else's words and phrases to convey an IDEA, passing off their thoughts and ideas as your own.

If you get their permission, it isn't plagiarism. If you attribute the passage, it isn't plagiarism. If someone gives you an idea and suggests you use it in a speech, it isn't plagiarism.

If you claim to have written it as your own, all on your own, it IS plagiarism.

The issue here is that Mrs Trump explicitly stated that she wrote this speech, and that in that speech is an entire paragraph from First Lady Obama's 2008 speech, almost verbatim. That's not a huge issue. Mrs Trump could have said she read First Lady Obama's speech and was inspired by it, and that she didn't realize that she should have attributed that passage. A mistake. The bigger issue is that the Trump campaign should have caught the mistake beforehand, didn't, and then in the aftermath, they've decided not to take responsibility, but to deny, obfuscate, and point fingers, and more than that, point fingers at Hillary Clinton.

You can't complain about how Hillary Clinton handles crises, and then completely mishandle crises on your own. And the way that this has been mishandled is symptomatic of the Trump campaign, bluster and finger-pointing. Which suggests that a Trump Presidency might handle crises in exactly the same way.

Where are the BEST people that Trump has promised will be his advisors? If he can't get someone to proof-read and screen his wife's speech at the Convention, how is going to get an international information network that's going to provide him with the BEST information on ISIS? How is he going to run the Executive Branch of our federal government? By the seat of his pants?

Old 07-19-2016, 11:37 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,711,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Excuses, excuses, excuses. She spoke with conviction that she stole her speech from Michelle Obama. I don't know what is more funny, her stealing her speech or Trump supporters making excuses for her.....actually it is the excuses, I can't stop laughing at the excuses you guys keep coming up with.

Blindly follow your overlord no matter how much the Trump's lie to you.
Same could be said about Hilary supporters.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:38 AM

16,115 posts, read 10,782,975 times
Melania used words. Lots of words. The very best words...many people have said this. I heard people say this myself. I've tweeted that myself and people have tweeted it back. Michelle Obama has used those very same words and in the very same sequence so they are the very best words. Nobody complained when Michelle Obama used those same words in that way. The media hates us and it is Clinton's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections