Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2016, 05:05 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Right. Whatever. Point is, people here who actually stayed awake during math class and who understand how the electoral college works were having a serious conversation, pointing out the mathematical difficulties Trump would face if he doesn't win Pennsylvania. Then you pop in with "Nuh-uh, isn't so," and naturally people are going to wonder if you have any logical reason for saying so.

Turns out you don't. No harm, and certainly no surprise.

But the thing is, this is a poll thread, not an opinion thread. We talk about polls here, numbers, mathematical models. The only time you ever want to talk about that is if Trump has a poll that looks reasonably good for him, and any other time all you ever offer is "I don't believe in no polls, I know better." You've got dozens of other threads for that nonsense, and it gets really tiring after a while.
Dozens of threads? Hundreds, really. New batch every day.

I keep checking the polls and 2016 Presidential Election Interactive Map and from what I can tell, if Clinton nails down Florida and Pennsylvania, she's home free. Whereas Trump would need to win both Florida and Pennsylvania as well as a bunch of others to get to that elusive 270.

I've notice something that might make a difference. Don't know if it is going on nationwide, or just in our neighborhood. But several people who haven't voted since Reagan, are registering to vote because they are appalled by Trump.

In past elections, I've tried to get them to vote and they've always responded with variations of, "They're all a bunch of crooks." This year, they are filling our registration forms and asking me to remind them when early voting starts. Yikes!

These people aren't getting picked up on polls because they don't respond to such things. And there may be just as many Trump supporters that did not come out for Romney or McCain but are planning to show up for Trump. Hard to tell.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:21 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Dozens of threads? Hundreds, really. New batch every day.

I keep checking the polls and 2016 Presidential Election Interactive Map and from what I can tell, if Clinton nails down Florida and Pennsylvania, she's home free. Whereas Trump would need to win both Florida and Pennsylvania as well as a bunch of others to get to that elusive 270.

I've notice something that might make a difference. Don't know if it is going on nationwide, or just in our neighborhood. But several people who haven't voted since Reagan, are registering to vote because they are appalled by Trump.

In past elections, I've tried to get them to vote and they've always responded with variations of, "They're all a bunch of crooks." This year, they are filling our registration forms and asking me to remind them when early voting starts. Yikes!

These people aren't getting picked up on polls because they don't respond to such things. And there may be just as many Trump supporters that did not come out for Romney or McCain but are planning to show up for Trump. Hard to tell.
Everything about this election is a wild card.We have never before, in the history of the United States, had two candidates who were more hated by the voters. Right now, according to the polls, 96% of the electorate almost every single voter - thinks that at least one of the two candidates is unqualified to be President. Essentially the entire country believes that at least one of the two major candidates has no business being in the Oval Office.

Think about that for a moment, and reflect upon how that factor will affect the motivation of the electorate. And then ask yourself how pollsters weight that factor into the pol results. I'll answer that for you - they don't. They can't. That single factor may very well be the most important one in this year's election, and there is no way at all to calculate that into the polls. That's a pretty sobering thought, if you ask me.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:33 PM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
...Face it. Your guy is in serious trouble. He needs to make up a lot of ground, and he isn't closing the gap at all. The gap remains constant at about 3.2 to 4%. The clock is ticking. He has fewer than 60 days left to close the gap, and every day that he doesn't gain any ground makes it even harder. You need to face reality; the numbers look worse for him every day, even when they don't move at all.

Not necessarily. A week can be a lifetime in politics and with the HC deplorability gaff and health concerns the next round of polling might easily significantly shift towards Trump.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:39 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Not necessarily. A week can be a lifetime in politics and with the HC deplorability gaff and health concerns the next round of polling might easily significantly shift towards Trump.
And if it does, things will be different. Until then, it still is what it is.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:39 PM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
...Everything about this election is a wild card.
Correct and my guess is there are a lot of undecided who lean Trump but refuse to say so.

Imo, I don't believe this will be close come election day. This election will likely be decided during the debates and it will be Trumps to lose. He will either reassure voters still on the fence he's up to the job or blow it by saying something which will bury him.

HC best bet is to hope sympathetic moderators toss softballs her way.

Last edited by john3232; 09-12-2016 at 12:20 AM..

Old 09-12-2016, 12:53 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
If you think Trump has a legitimate chance of winning you should at least be able to come up with the states for him to win to make that feasible.
Today is "help a Trumpette in distress" day. I posted this earlier this week so the averages could be a little different

I think #4 is the easiest path, win FL, OH, IA, NC and WI. The odds are against Trump though but miracles do happen sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Well there's one but it's still difficult. I will assume he will win AZ, GA and all electoral votes in Nebraska.

Trump could win that 1 electoral vote in Maine. I believe it's the second district, where Bangor is

Then he would have to win any of these combinations:
1. FL,OH,IA,NV,NC,NH
2. FL,OH,IA,NV,PA
3. FL,OH,IA,NV,NH,MI
4. FL,OH,IA,NC,WI

2 and 4 are the easiest way for Trump to win the election.

Here are his chances of winning according to 538 and RCP average

IA***52.5% ***Trump +0.8
FL***38.6%***Clinton +0.3
NC***43.9%***Clinton +0.8
NV***33.5%***Clinton +2.3
OH***44.8%***Clinton +3.3
WI***29.1%****Clinton +5.3
PA***25.2%***Clinton +6.5
MI***25.5%****Clinton +7.3
NH******Clinton +7.7

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 09-12-2016 at 01:01 AM..

Old 09-12-2016, 06:14 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
JMC Analytics

Florida

Trump 46%
Clinton 42%

Old 09-12-2016, 07:26 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
The latest YouGov/CBS News 2016 Battleground Tracker poll Sunday. The poll was taken Sept. 7-9 and had a margin of error of +/- 3.5 points.

Breaking News at Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/flor...#ixzz4K38RKMq7
Urgent: Do You Back Trump or Hillary? Vote Here Now!

Clinton "now leads Trump just 44-42 percent. Libertarian Gary Johnson holds steady at 5 percent, while the Green Party’s Jill Stein stayed at 2 percent."

Battleground Poll: Trump Pulls Up Into Virtual Tie With Clinton in Florida

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 09-12-2016 at 07:52 AM..

Old 09-12-2016, 07:26 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Why would anyone change their vote to Trump because Clinton has an acute illness or spoke what they believe to be the truth about his supporters? People who are in her camp think Trump is a racist monster. They would never vote for him.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:33 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Polltracker latest from GA has Trump now ahead +3.2 and still ahead in Arizona by a hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections