Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2016, 10:40 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,836,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Today, most are done with 1024 at least and more often with 2048 bit encryption, not possible to crack with today's technology.
False, I work in the field and generally it is either 128 or 256. Not sure where you pulled those numbers from. Next step up from here will probably be quantum encryption. 128 is brute forceable with the right computer set up, 256 is currently not but as quantum computing takes off it will become trivial. This will be a revolution in computing at some point in our lifetime and there will be a few years of transition where a large amount of transactions will not be secure if people with the right hardware are after them. That is why it will likely jump from 256 to quantum as all the major banks and governments try to get out ahead of the hardware becoming widely available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 10:43 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
False, I work in the field and generally it is either 128 or 256. Not sure where you pulled those numbers from. Next step up from here will probably be quantum encryption.
Where do you work? Maybe you should tell you boss that someone at your place need to start firing your IT staff.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:44 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Completely irrelevant. How you gonna send emails if your server ain't connected?

It's kinda silly to see someone post a rebuttal like this.
So your excuse has moved from, its impossible, to now completely acceptable and required..

there are LOTS of ways to send things like emails SECURELY. A private, home server, isnt one of them...

I run my own email serves, I dont for a second, believe that I can secure them, at a far better level than the US Government. I'd be a complete idiot to bring emails in house if I was Secretary of State, given it was naturally going to come back to haunt her..

Old 10-19-2016, 10:47 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Hillary doesn't have such authority to determine where the proper place is.

"Delete" is "lose."

Here's the law again:

(1) through gross negligence permits the same to be removed from its proper place of custody

(2) having knowledge that the same has been illegally removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of its trust, or lost, or stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, and fails to make prompt report of such loss, theft, abstraction, or destruction to his superior officer—
I agree. There should have been some oversight that prevented Hillary from making such a bad decision.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Completely irrelevant. How you gonna send emails if your server ain't connected?

It's kinda silly to see someone post a rebuttal like this.
You are being silly.

Government can do that with ease. Communications within the government can be 100% secure without encryption but who wouldn't use encryption anyway?

We as commercial users do that too. It's called Private Network. In the civilian world, we either use Virtual Private Network or MPLS which is a physical private network.

If privacy is needed between two companies, an end-to-end encryption can be set up but it's not common.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I agree. There should have been some oversight that prevented Hillary from making such a bad decision.
Secretary of State, shouldn't need "oversight".

Is this gonna be your excuse when she's President?

Old 10-19-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
You are being silly.

Government can do that with ease. Communications within the government can be 100% secure without encryption but who wouldn't use encryption anyway?
Exactly. When I worked in Pittsburgh, our servers were in Chicago, and we had a direct line connecting the two locations that was not able to be hacked. This was required by law because we were dealing with medical records.

Watching the left defend Clinton, who wants to be in charge of writing laws mandating society is rather mind boggling.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:52 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
And Hillary made the decision that the proper place of custody was her private e-mail server. She was wrong, it was a bad decision, but she didn't gather, transmit or lose any confidential information.
Yes she did. You admitted she did. You defended it by saying it didn't get transmitted to anyone that didn't have clearance, but she DID send classified emails through an unsecured server.

She thinks she's above the law, plain and simple. Proven by the fact that she stole when leaving the WH (only giving stuff back after getting caught).

Old 10-19-2016, 10:54 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
And you think this woman has what it takes to be president. Good lord. You've just admitted that she's too stupid to make a rational and good decision, without someone else overseeing her, to prevent her from making a mistake.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
The oversight is called "laws."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections