Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2016, 11:02 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,836,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Where do you work? Someone at your place need to start firing your IT staff.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanc...ption_Standard <=== Here is the wikipedia on the current encryption standards. Do me a favor and hit ctrl-f on that page and do a search for the bit count of the keys you were suggesting earlier. You will not find them. There is a reason it is called the "standard" and the reason is that is what is used by the vast majority of encryption based transactions in the US as well as around the world. While higher bit encryption algorithms exist, they are no where near as ubiquitous. At least you got the powers of 2 right Ill give you that. You can basically use any power of 2 as an encryption key the problem is it also increases the complexity and thereby the hardware load for using said encryption substantially each time you increase the size of the key.

The other practicality problem is that they are overkill for our current hardware and will be underkill when we start seeing widespread quantum computing.

PS: I am not "IT Staff" in the vein of "have you tried turning it off and on again" I am a software engineer and I have worked directly with these encryption standards on a code level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 11:03 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
You are being silly.

Government can do that with ease. Communications within the government can be 100% secure without encryption but who wouldn't use encryption anyway?

We as commercial users do that too. It's called Private Network. In the civilian world, we either use Virtual Private Network or MPLS which is a physical private network.

If privacy is needed between two companies, an end-to-end encryption can be set up but it's not common.
Government isn't 100% secure. We know this because it is repeatedly hacked AND compromised.

The State Department had an embarrassing widespread hack in 2006.

That said, I don't know how many times or ways I have to say it, but I agree, and Hillary agrees, it was a bad decision to use a private server from her home. Bad decision. Not a good decision. Bad, very bad.

Luckily, the FBI was unable to find any evidence that national security was compromised as a result of her very, very, very bad decision.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Secretary of State, shouldn't need "oversight".

Is this gonna be your excuse when she's President?
If an office doesn't have the authority to make a certain decision, then there should be someone with oversight to assure that the right decisions are made.

I'm hoping that when she's President, that she will have learned from this experience.

In the meantime, I expect the Hillary haters to be out in full force come January 2017, to criticize her "cankles", to criticize her clothing choices, to pick over every word in every speech, to expound on her health "issues", to whine, gripe, complain, grouse over every miniscule detail. It's an art they've perfected over the past eight years.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:09 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanc...ption_Standard <=== Here is the wikipedia on the current encryption standards. Do me a favor and hit ctrl-f on that page and do a search for the bit count of the keys you were suggesting earlier. You will not find them. There is a reason it is called the "standard" and the reason is that is what is used by the vast majority of encryption based transactions in the US as well as around the world. While higher bit encryption algorithms exist, they are no where near as ubiquitous. At least you got the powers of 2 right Ill give you that. You can basically use any power of 2 as an encryption key the problem is it also increases the complexity and thereby the hardware load for using said encryption substantially each time you increase the size of the key.

The other practicality problem is that they are overkill for our current hardware and will be underkill when we start seeing widespread quantum computing.

PS: I am not "IT Staff" in the vein of "have you tried turning it off and on again" I am a software engineer and I have worked directly with these encryption standards on a code level.

You are correct.

I was referring to the RSA key length. In a typically SSL certificate, say google, they use a 2084 RSA public key along with Sha256 encryption.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And you think this woman has what it takes to be president. Good lord. You've just admitted that she's too stupid to make a rational and good decision, without someone else overseeing her, to prevent her from making a mistake.
I actually think she's very smart. She makes rational and good decisions all the time. She made a mistake. She did consult with previous secretaries of state, she thought she was doing the right thing. But she was wrong. In this instance.

But I'm sure you've never made a bad decision in your entire life.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:12 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
This is a very simple question that baffles me. She has so much blood and scandal on her hands, yet is still eligible for the highest office in the land? And people WANT her???

One - you making a mountain out of a mole hill- Hillary does what government does- really there are many more Hillary types there- and why you have our govt.

The blood spilled is sad very sad- I'm a widow of a vet- but that does not fall on any "one" hand-- many players that make those decisions.

three- Hillary knows everyone good bad or ugly- and knows how to navigate,,, she will also NOT rule like a queen bee. There still be many players who decide how things move- come on this is how we run our democracy--

4- Trump has NO knowledge so like putting a 18 yr old kid in a car manufacturing job as the boss? He will not know " how" and he does NOT like to listen or obey anyone- that is the dilemma

5- Trump cannot be KING- therefor still has to work with those other players

Old 10-19-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Government isn't 100% secure. We know this because it is repeatedly hacked AND compromised.

The State Department had an embarrassing widespread hack in 2006.

That said, I don't know how many times or ways I have to say it, but I agree, and Hillary agrees, it was a bad decision to use a private server from her home. Bad decision. Not a good decision. Bad, very bad.

Luckily, the FBI was unable to find any evidence that national security was compromised as a result of her very, very, very bad decision.
The government is much more secure than her server!

It's not like she didn't know. She signed the notice herself and has been told repeatedly afterwards.

Unless she has that authority to make that decision, that's a bad decision punished by 10 years in prison and $100,000 fine.

How can anybody defend her like this?

People were sent to prison for far less offences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wen_Ho...nt_and_release

Old 10-19-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
The government is much more secure than her server!

Unless she has that authority to make that decision, that's a bad decision punished by 10 years in prison and $100,000 fine.

How can anybody defend her like this?
I agree. The government servers were more secure than her server.

But her bad decision didn't compromise national security, and her lack of intent means it was not punishable by prison and a fine.

The FACTS are her defense.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I agree. The government servers were more secure than her server.

But her bad decision didn't compromise national security, and her lack of intent means it was not punishable by prison and a fine.

The FACTS are her defense.
Once again, the law does NOT say national security must be compromised, need the "intent" or the information must be passed onto any unauthorized parties.

Here's the law again and please tell me again that she didn't violate the law:

(1) through gross negligence permits the same to be removed from its proper place of custody

(2) having knowledge that the same has been illegally removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of its trust, or lost, or stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, and fails to make prompt report of such loss, theft, abstraction, or destruction to his superior officer—

Old 10-19-2016, 11:24 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,836,240 times
Quote:
You are correct.

I was referring to the RSA key length. In a typically SSL certificate, say google, they use a 2084 RSA public key along with Sha256 encryption.
Thanks, appreciate it. Think of it like this:

Cert = Authorization, IE you are who you say you are. These can be much more complex as they are primarily used in the initial handshake. It might take longer but it doesn't have to occur nearly as many times.

Encryption key = Data scrambler basically, this is the part that is actually used in the encryption equations to scramble the data around. Because it is used in all the math, increasing it increases the complexity of the data translation from clear > scrambled > back to clear. This is by far the most computationally expensive step because it must be executed a massive number of times (twice for each 128 bit block of data, and 128 bits is pretty dang small when you talk in terms of tera/peta bytes flowing along encrypted channels).

Edit: I did the math, to transmit 1 terabyte (1024^4) along a standard encrypted channel (128 bit blocks) the encryption/de-encryption algorithm has to run a total of 858,993,492 * 2 = 17,179,869,184 executions. For a petabyte it is 17,592,186,044,416 - an astronomical number.

You can probably see why the algorithm's complexity can become a big issue. Even a 1 millisecond per execution computation time would be far, far too inefficient for it to be used effectively. And increasing the key size exponentially effects the complexity.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 10-19-2016 at 12:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections