Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2016, 10:04 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
To compromise national security is to put it at risk or danger of being expose/hacked/leaked.

That is unquestionably what she did. Intentionally or not.
Anything on ANY computer server is at risk of or danger of being exposed/hacked/leaked.

So anybody in the government using e-mail by your definition is compromising national security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 10:08 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Anything on ANY computer server is at risk of or danger of being exposed/hacked/leaked.
Completely not true.. servers, if not connected to a network cable (i.e. no internet) has no danger..

Others are required to be encrypted, 128 bit is almost impossible to hack.

Its kinda silly to see the left defend Clinton using less security for national security issues, than required of standard doctor offices required to follow HIPAA laws.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:11 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:

So anybody in the government using e-mail by your definition is compromising national security.
Not true! The government with unlimited resources sets up servers disconnected from our regular networks. The only way to hack into that is through human espionage. It's physically impossible to do that from remote.

Furthermore, government communications do not need to travel on the commercial or civilian network. When they do, they have end to end encryption or they travel on a separate channel not commingled with commercial traffic.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Completely not true.. servers, if not connected to a network cable (i.e. no internet) has no danger..

Its kinda silly to see the left defend Clinton using less security for national security issues, than required of standard doctor offices required to follow HIPAA laws.
Today, most are done with 1024 at least and more often with 2048 bit encryption, not possible to crack with today's technology.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Because Hillary supporters, like Obama supporters, don't care about morals and ethics. All they care about is party over policy. Truth doesn't matter one iota. Successful policies don't matter either.
Truth actually matters a lot.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Once again, I ask all of us to read the law. In short, merely and willfully having the classified information on the private server is in violation of the law. I don't know how much more clear it can be.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/793
18 U.S. Code § 793 - Gathering, transmitting or losing defense information

or
(f) Whoever, being entrusted with or having lawful possession or control of any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, note, or information, relating to the national defense, (1) through gross negligence permits the same to be removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of his trust, or to be lost, stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, or (2) having knowledge that the same has been illegally removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of its trust, or lost, or stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, and fails to make prompt report of such loss, theft, abstraction, or destruction to his superior officer—
Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.
And Hillary made the decision that the proper place of custody was her private e-mail server. She was wrong, it was a bad decision, but she didn't gather, transmit or lose any confidential information.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:34 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Today, most are done with 1024 at least and more often with 2048 bit encryption, not possible to crack with today's technology.
Exactly.. I actually believe HIPAA requires 256 bit, not 128.. its been a few years for me..

Its sad that a local doctors office I worked with, was far more secure than Federal governmental emails being handled by the Secretary of State..

Old 10-19-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I don't think so, but if that is the case, I'd like to see the proof of that.

Again, I highly doubt that. Everything I have found mentions "actual and potential". The fact that she got lucky that nothing was compromised doesn't change the fact that there was the potential.
You're right. It doesn't change the fact that there was potential. She shouldn't have used a private server for her e-mails or for any government function. She made a bad decision.

Fortunately, that bad decision didn't lead to any compromises of national security.

And unfortunately, the government servers have been hacked repeatedly.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
And Hillary made the decision that the proper place of custody was her private e-mail server. She was wrong, it was a bad decision, but she didn't gather, transmit or lose any confidential information.
Hillary doesn't have such authority to determine where the proper place is.

"Delete" is "lose."

Here's the law again:

(1) through gross negligence permits the same to be removed from its proper place of custody

(2) having knowledge that the same has been illegally removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of its trust, or lost, or stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, and fails to make prompt report of such loss, theft, abstraction, or destruction to his superior officer—

Old 10-19-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

Completely irrelevant. How you gonna send emails if your server ain't connected?

It's kinda silly to see someone post a rebuttal like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections