Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 09:54 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
MTAtech makes some good observations above. Of course the main reason ACA is not working well is that the Republican obstructionists forced so many changes into the program that it was deficient from day 1. They pretty much ripped out the viability from the original concept. Clinton of course is the right choice to try to fix it; Trump's approach is to delete ACA - but he brings nothing whatsoever to replace it, just a bunch of vague rambling.
Thanks. I concede that the ACA is not optimal but it was the best that could have been achieved given our divided political process.

Saying that, it should be obvious that even given its flaws, the ACA is better than what we had before. At least pre-existing coverage is law, children under 26 are covered and most importantly -- 85% of premiums must be spent on medical coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 09:58 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Obamacare is only getting repealed if Single Payer is on deck.
In progressives' fever dreams.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:05 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Our insurance has doubled from 2016 to 2017. We also have to pay a $4k deductible before ANYTHING is paid for by BCBS, not even prescriptions will be covered until the deductible is met! Its absolutely terrible!! OBVIOUSLY Obamacare is NOT affordable and it's getting worse every year. It's basically major medical coverage because I can't afford to pay $4000 before ANY insurance pays. They are so worried about people having coverage, but what it's doing is forcing people to delay medical care because they can't afford the bill that will be coming otherwise!

I have been a democrat my entire life along with my husband and MANY other family members. Tuesday I'm voting for Trump! AND so are all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
First off, I see you're in New York, as you know insurance is state specific so what the costs are for you, are not the same for me. .

We are not on Obamacare. We receive no subsidies. We have a company plan. We used to have a co-pay of $30 per doctor visit and $1k deductible, $3k family max out of pocket. $10 co-pay for prescriptions. We now have no co-pays, but NOTHING is paid for until we meet a $2K deductible. $6K max out of pocket-family. That is the lowest deductible choice we have! I would gladly pay more for a lower deductible since it will cost me more out of pocket regardless. It's not an option for us.

I'm an insurance agent so I completely understand how it works. Since AFA came into play, insurance companies are sticking it to us! Obamacare isn't any better! My mother is paying $600 a month for an HMO plan for herself, which we all know HMO's are crap! It's the cheapest she can find. The fine's are not steep enough to force people to get coverage, that's part of the reason for the insurance increases. Second, they know everyone is mandated to have it, so they can raise the premiums. Why not? No one is stopping them! What government needs to do is reform how much a doctor can charge for a procedure. How much a hospital can charge for a Tylenol. The entire system is still VERY broken and needs a complete reform. Obamacare made it worse in the sense that it is allowing insurance companies to charge out of control premiums.

I don't think Obamacare is all bad. Of course the two good things that came from it are covering pre-existing conditions and allowing children coverage to age 26. We all agree for the most part this was a great change; however, mandating insurance coverage is ridiculous. That is the main source that is driving up the rates.

My family has serious conditions that require health care coverage. My husband was in a severe car accident 2 years ago and is still having facial reconstructive surgeries. I have a heart condition. So I am very thankful for having coverage, but I can't afford the $6k cap! I have two young children to also take care of. Will we hit the $6k max out of pocket? Yep! We have hit the max two years in a row already! I'm thankful there is a cap, but it has gone from $3k to $6K!! That's huge!

Are insurance companies making insane profits from all of this?
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Since you said that you have employer provided health insurance, the events of Obamacare rate hikes have nothing to do witch your situation, since those regard exclusively to the health care exchanges.

I can't explain your insurance changes, which can be a number of things, including your employer deciding to change to a cheaper plan.

To address mandates (e.g. "they know everyone is mandated to have it, so they can raise the premiums. Why not?") no, that can't happen. Why? Because the law now says that 85% of premiums must be spent on medical coverage. Moreover, state insurance departments must approve rate changes.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:09 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Since you said that you have employer provided health insurance, the events of Obamacare rate hikes have nothing to do witch your situation, since those regard exclusively to the health care exchanges.
Wrong. ACA 2010 is the law that governs all of what employers, as well as employees, must do to comply with its provisions.

Aka "Obamacare," among other things it specifies that if your business employs more than 50 people, you must offer health care insurance. The law also dictates what those policies must cover--thereby continually inflating business's policy costs.

It directly affects 320 million Americans and how their employers must comply. That has a direct bearing on employment, because businesses are now increasingly under siege by hyperbolic policy cost increases--because no cost controls were imposed simultaneous with a mandate that everyone must buy insurance against provider product. Businesses must now contribute to the all-you-can-eat buffet.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:01 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Wrong. ACA 2010 is the law that governs all of what employers, as well as employees, must do to comply with its provisions.

Aka "Obamacare," among other things it specifies that if your business employs more than 50 people, you must offer health care insurance. The law also dictates what those policies must cover--thereby continually inflating business's policy costs.

It directly affects 320 million Americans and how their employers must comply. That has a direct bearing on employment, because businesses are now increasingly under siege by hyperbolic policy cost increases--because no cost controls were imposed simultaneous with a mandate that everyone must buy insurance against provider product. Businesses must now contribute to the all-you-can-eat buffet.

EXACTLY!!!!

Thanks so much for your post! You actually get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections