Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2016, 02:46 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Mark my words: We will fight. We will not tolerate a pig for president. The media, the courts and public opinion will drive this abomination from office before the end of his term. Those of you who argue we are not a democracy are going to hear what the voice of the people sounds like.
These are the words of a unpatriotic simpleton who lacks education and a coping mechanism. Get off your soap box, turn off your pc, and go take a semester of U.S. Government at a local community college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 02:48 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,067,889 times
The something that needs to change is observing the rule of law - that includes the federal government - and most especially, go back to the constitution, for true progress.

Our system of government is the reason for our great capitalist success. Subvert, try to weaken, destroy, run-around, the constitution at our own economic peril.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Almost 800k signatures. Will be a million soon. Don't think it will pass but something needs to change.

Democrats need 54% of the vote to win. Sounds pretty damn rigged to me since democrats are growing in population and republican are not.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:50 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
something needs to change.
We could start by ensuring that young people are properly educated on the U.S. Constitution and our system of government. With no participation ribbon handed out on the last day of class.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:51 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,092,427 times
Quote:
Almost 800k signatures. Will be a million soon. Don't think it will pass but something needs to change.

Democrats need 54% of the vote to win. Sounds pretty damn rigged to me since democrats are growing in population and republican are not.

Founding fathers set up the EC to prevent mob rule. I would prefer that there are more state rights, than a large mob....as we see, that CA, NY, Ill contain main liber voters. Why should they have the ability to over ride the wishes of people in multiple states who had more voters for Trump than Clinton?

Old 11-10-2016, 02:52 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,067,889 times
Progressives screwed the pooch on this one. It is called the 17th Amendment, direct election of Senators. All in the name of taking corruption and gridlock out of the U.S. Senate selection, by the various states. That worked out great, no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I got a better idea.

Why not have state legislators elect delegates to the electoral college and they in turn would elect the President?

Same with selecting US Senators. Have state legislators elect their senators to represent their states every four six years? What this does is take the money out of politics while imposing automatic term limits in the form of new Senators and electors whenever a state legislature changes.

The sickest form of government available is a democracy. Those that believe democracy is best are not right in the head.

If you disagree with me let me give you a definition of the democracy you are so in love with.

A true democracy is four ravenous wolves and one sheep voting on what's for dinner.

Is that what you really want?

Old 11-10-2016, 02:54 PM

421 posts, read 205,151 times
Nope, Trump "owns" the internet and social media

In a nut-shell this is what i think happened this election:

Trump - heavy focus on social media platforms, internet presence, internet memes, alternative media, plenty of interviews with internet shows/populist shows, etc..... above all the insane HIGH ENERGY of his campaign

Hillary - unfavored by the internet, seen as "boring" compared to Trump or Bernie, mainly backed by "mainstream media" which Americans increasingly distrust in favor of the internet, she was "just not that popular" amongst tech-savvy youth compared to say, Bernie

Hillary ran an out-dated/dinosaur strategy that relied mainly on the "mainstream" media, while Trump on the other hand had his "finger on the pulse" of the internet/social media and what regular, EVERYDAY working folks were thinking (but afraid to say due to fear of retaliation/bullying).

Old 11-10-2016, 02:55 PM

3,890 posts, read 4,545,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
A big reason is that the purpose of the Electoral College was to give voice to small states. Without the EC, candidates would simply focus all of their resources on California, Texas, Florida, and New York. The rest would be inconsequential, so you'd be trading swing states for large states.

We are a republic of states, that was always the intention. Your proportional system is just an indirect medium for popular vote.

I'm a Democrat, Hillary lost, move on.
Exactly! Thank you! After years, I'm only NOW understanding the EC!

I voted Libertarian for the first time, (a lost cause, but I would just like to see their ideas get some traction) but I would have accepted whoever won the EC regardless of the popular vote. Dems da rulz!

Old 11-10-2016, 02:55 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,982 times
Default Stop with the electoral College stuff....

......While I agree it's not the perfect system, it does make sense when you stop and really think about it. States are like mini countries and they are not all the same. They should not be silenced just because another state thinks differently.

ALSO, you need to realize that if the election were an all out, "the one with the most votes wins" the popular vote would have been SO MUCH DIFFERENT. Why? Here is an example...In places like California, everyone that wanted Trump knows no matter what, California is going Hillary's way. They stay home and don't bother. If their vote counted the same with no electoral college involved, they would have voted in full force. You have many places outside the major cities in California that were pro trump and those areas would have turned out.

My point? You cannot go on the idea that Hillary had a few more populous votes, therefore she should have won, based on the current dynamic.

It's like analyzing a sporting event where your team lost, but if the rules were changed post the game, than your team would have won. It doesn't work that way, because teams would play entirely different under different rules.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:56 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,579,521 times
Remove the electoral college and a Republican will almost never become president again. I do no like 4 to 6 states deciding the presidential election remove it and everyone's vote will count the same.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:59 PM

12,391 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What.
Nobody worries about campaigning to New Yorkers or Angelenos because their states are safe. Without an electoral college even if you win a state 2 to 1 it is worth it to go after a few extra votes in one neighborhood of South Central LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections