Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2016, 09:46 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Take Texas for example which will likely be always majority Republican. Under the current system, if you're a Dem living in that state, other than adding to the popular vote what's the point of you voting when you know its never going to make a difference?? Texas and its 38 votes will always go in the Republican column.
Funny, but I could've written this entire paragraph, except insert California and reverse the parties. I'm a Republican and my state always goes to the Democrat. Therefore, I also feel my vote is pointless.

Funny thing about the EC is that the popular vote does count; it just counts WITHIN your state. Your vote doesn't matter nationally; it matters in YOUR STATE. In Texas, Donald the Republican got 53% of the total votes. Hillary the Democrat got 43%. So Donald won Texas. So do you think your Democrat vote didn't count? Well it did. Your vote ended up not being enough to turn your state Democratic.

Imagine if the EC was gone and PV counted. Donald the Republican got 53% of the total votes, and Hillary the Democrat got 43% nationwide. So Donald wins. Are you going to think your Democratic vote didn't count because Donald won? No. It counted; there just wasn't enough fellow Democrats to win. So why would you think your vote didn't count because Donald won in your state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 09:47 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
And, yet, it hasn't been replaced. So, your point is? ...

Old 11-10-2016, 09:48 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
According to the USCON, the election for the executive is NOT a populist democracy as it is for the Representative.

Any objections therefore are bogus.

However, there is another popular misconception that needs to be addressed: so-called "will of the people" and political mandates. Such nonsense has no applicability in the republican form of government, since endowed rights are not subject to a vote, nor a majority.

Furthermore, elected officials are superior to their electorate. (Look up constituent in a legal dictionary) An elected official has the equivalent of a power of attorney to bind the citizenry to comply with the laws he enacts.

Complaints by the little people fall on deaf ears. The most one can do is recall or impeach an elected official.

Remember, if you consented to be governed, shut up, sit down, and obey.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:49 PM

1,327 posts, read 723,662 times
Sour grapes. A lot of which we've been seeing here the last couple days. And they're only just getting started gathering their talking points for the next few years as we go about repairing the mess they've made with their idiot in chief, obama.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:51 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Couldn't this have been posted on one of the other 10-20 other "was fine with the Electoral College until we lost" threads?

Old 11-10-2016, 09:55 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I have to wonder. Do they even teach basic Social Studies in public schools these days?
Sure, but I have a terrible memory for facts I don't use, and I've never had to use 95% of anything I learned in school, elementary to college, including social studies and civics. And not everyone is interested in government enough to remember anything about it. Call me whatever names you want, but not everyone is good at remembering things they don't use. "If you don't use it, you lose it."

Old 11-10-2016, 09:59 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,116,455 times
Remember when liberals said it was all about the electoral college and Trump had no path? Now they want to change the rules so their candidate wins.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:59 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,632,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalk View Post
trump said in 2012 that the electoral college is terrible and must be replaced!
https://www.google.com.hk/amp/abcnew...?client=safari
does not matter-she conceded the election. Its over for her

Old 11-10-2016, 10:01 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
I think the proper place to post this is right next to the desk, in the container called "Trash"...

Old 11-10-2016, 10:09 PM

7,644 posts, read 8,716,940 times
Daydream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections