Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2016, 05:48 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,717,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
They already do. California has 55 electoral votes. That overrides an awful lot of the smaller states that Trump won. And they should have that ability. The electoral college system is a bit of a weird process but it's one we've had for a long time. It generally has no effect and on rare occasion, like this time, does what intended to do when it was implemented.
It does what it's exactly supposed to do. Prevent a few states from controlling the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 05:49 PM

1,548 posts, read 914,156 times
This'll work. Sure.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:56 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,556,201 times
Okay, I have to admit, the "Send Donald Trump to Space" was pretty cute. The others?

Old 11-10-2016, 06:00 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Almost 800k signatures. Will be a million soon. Don't think it will pass but something needs to change.

Democrats need 54% of the vote to win. Sounds pretty damn rigged to me since democrats are growing in population and republican are not.
Boo hoo. You democrats are such hypocrites, all for Democracy until you lose then you show your true fascist side.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:01 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Wow this is how I know I have a disability. I feel like peanut from Jeff Dunham.
I still don't really understand what an electoral college is or why we are encouraged to go out and vote..or rather why even voting actually exists.

So they just pick random people from each state I guess?
An Electoral College is nothing more than the group of people made up of the Electors. The number of Electors equals the number of members of the Senate (100) plus the number of members of the House of Representatives (435) plus 3 for the District of Columbia for a total of 538 electors in the Electoral College.

In an election, generally Electors are chosen by both parties so there is a group for Clinton and a group of Trump (usually done by that state's GOP or Dem state party representatives). Some states have different processes (such as a separate vote to vote for Electors) but fundamentally it's up to the states to determine their group of Electors. Then, once one candidate wins that state, the Electors are the one that gets to 'cast' their vote for the President.

Most states have laws which prohibit Electors from voting whoever they want instead of who their citizens voted for but some states do not have such laws. This petition is trying to convince those Electors to ignore the will of the people and vote for Clinton instead of Trump. This has never been done in our nation's history and it's foolish to think it would be done now for Clinton because of Trump.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:02 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,944,907 times
Some of these liberals are just too cute...surely there is SOMETHING they can do.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:05 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,567,713 times
The Electoral College is an undemocratic process that needs review. The USS currently does not have a one person/one vote system when it comes to electing the president. It devalues some people's votes depending on where they live. The fact that the will of the people has been denied in two of the last five elections is alarming. I do not think this is what the original founding fathers had in mind.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:07 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
I mean seriously why even call this a 'national election' ....
It's a federal election.

If you drank the Kool-Aid® and bought into the "national election" nonsense or don't understand that you live in a federal republic, where you have an equilateral power-sharing arrangement between the People, the States and the federal government, then that's on you.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:08 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
These threads are proof that nobody really paid attention to high school civics classes.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:15 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
This is not something new: Rule of the majority with protection of the minority. The Electorial College is what protects the interests of citizens who don't live in the big cities. Listening to some of the news talking heads on this subject today has been fascinating, and yes, shows a real lack of civic education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections