Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Democrat Would have Best Chance at Beating Trump in 2020 for President?
Elizabeth Warren 19 17.12%
Jason Kander 6 5.41%
Tim Kaine 5 4.50%
Tim Ryan 5 4.50%
Keith Ellison 6 5.41%
other (explain) 70 63.06%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 07:42 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,780 times

Advertisements

Tulsi Gabbard, Congresswoman of Hawaii. She stepped down from her position from the DNC just to endorse Sanders. She's got integrity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 08:10 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I would go with Jason Kander or Tim Ryan.
The left has fallen in love with Kander and for good reason. But I dont know if that alone is going to allow him to reach that national stage.

He is making the early rounds doing what O'Malley and Brian Schweitzer were doing back in 2013 by going to help campaign for other Democrats in odd year elections, going to the State D.E.C. Meetings and even some at the county and city level.

I think Trump winning and not getting blown out, it will make the Democratic field much larger than it would have had say Marco Rubio won.

Mark Zuckerburg just spend this past week in Mobile, Alabama of all places going to church, visiting steel plants, Austal USA, EADS/Northrop Grumman and trying the local famous restaurants. Tim Cook (who is actually from the same area) will be here next week touring the area as well.

There is the underlying thing that Democrats will having going for them in 2018 that may well help them in 2020, That is a younger back bench in congress.

Justice Democrats, Brand New Congress, Emily's List, Centrist Project(though these are former Republicans),Emerge America and many more groups have all already named candidates for 2018.

You will see Democratic candidates in seats that are usually not contested, this does in fact bring out more voters and even if Trump is more popular then, it could give Democrats who were scared of losing their seats a chance to step up and run for higher office.

The stronger the entire ticket, the better the top looks. This is exactly why Clinton won Nevada. As close as the state was and as divided as it was within the Democratic Party, Democrats still made gains there.

I think 2018 is going to see a lot of new Democrats running for State house and senate seats and see a Democratic House candidate in almost every district. It will be a party building year. And it goes well( by well, I mean the party holds north of 200 House seats, and the senate remains above 45 seats including the independents , then I can see Kander running for President.

if not, then he will be a House candidate in 2020, just as Anthony Brown and Charlie Crist are.

Tim Ryan is the reason I hate the optics of politics. Agree with Nancy Pelosi and just about everything, but he has the better "image ".

Old 02-21-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Tulsi Gabbard, Congresswoman of Hawaii. She stepped down from her position from the DNC just to endorse Sanders. She's got integrity.
Thats not integrity, thats optics, as Vice Chairs do not have to step down to endorse a candidate.

They have for years, and as far as I can tell, in a contested primary, they have not all supported the same candidate.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:31 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Thats not integrity, thats optics, as Vice Chairs do not have to step down to endorse a candidate.

They have for years, and as far as I can tell, in a contested primary, they have not all supported the same candidate.
She knew the DNC was titling the scale. Nina Turner would be another good candidate.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:34 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,300,036 times
Real answer?

It depends on Trump. If he does well and keeps an edge with Independents he could beat any D nominee by holding the Rust Belt states he won in 2016. Conversely, if he is perceived to have performed poorly and loses Independents, any D nominee could defeat him.

It all depends on how he is perceived outside of that solid 35% of the electorate that's his base and who will stay with him hell or high water. Those soft Trump voters from 2016, disaffected Democrats who either didn't vote or voted for Jill Stein and Johnson voters who couldn't stomach either Hill or Drump will tip the balance, and no one at this early stage has a clue of what will happen in 2020.

Also, half of the list of choices are unrealistic. Tim Ryan, Keith Ellison won't jump from a Congressman to the Presidential Nominee and neither will Jason Kander without winning a statewide office. Add Castro to that list. They could be Veep nominees, but someone that low profile won't be the nominee. Probably a current or former Governor or Senator unless a non-politician like Mark Cuban pulls a Trump.

Whoever is nominated is probably guaranteed at least 48% of the national popular vote, because that's been the D floor level thus far this century.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 02-21-2017 at 08:54 PM..

Old 02-21-2017, 08:48 PM

729 posts, read 429,781 times
Nobody.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
She knew the DNC was titling the scale. Nina Turner would be another good candidate.
I have already stated why that argument is flawed. DNC members have always had the power to keep their positions and support who ever they want, even work for their campaigns.

in 2008, Clinton had the same beginning delegate lead, but lost.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:45 AM

9,143 posts, read 5,808,959 times
The Democrats have been decimated from the Federal to the Local level. The bench is thin.
One of the only Democrats I like is Joe Manchin, and he'll prolly turn Republican.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:48 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
She was in a position to see the corrupt dealing first hand. Stepping down was integrity. I would give her a little more credit if she would have blown the cover off the corruption but I guess no one is perfect.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:36 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,218,705 times
Whoever it is has to rally the left and young voters. Clinton was a uniquely poor candidate- as was Trump- so 2020 will be an entirely different beast. But when you look at who did & did not vote, working class whites get all the attention because the press needs a narrative. What really killed Hillary was the number of younger voters- and specifically younger minority voters- who did not vote or went third party. As people get older they grit their teeth and vote party ID or specific issues but young people do not eat **** sandwiches gladly.

I think having someone from a Western state make a run would probably be healthy. They will bring something different than the big city and east coast pols we've had the last 40 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections