Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Democrat Would have Best Chance at Beating Trump in 2020 for President?
Elizabeth Warren 19 17.12%
Jason Kander 6 5.41%
Tim Kaine 5 4.50%
Tim Ryan 5 4.50%
Keith Ellison 6 5.41%
other (explain) 70 63.06%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 07:03 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,281,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
And isn't it great that there is a choice? Let the states be more independent, let Republicans live in red states and do whatever they want as long as they leave the blue states alone and blue states can enact a solid ten year residency requirement for newcomers.
Would that, the go both ways?
Cause there might be some next generation young professionals in the future, who have a similar problems as the ones now already have in many cases. They eventually realize not everyone can live in the cool and hip downtown lofts or in some cool beach bungalow. Simple because they can't afford it with a normal starting salary. So they will have to continue to live their 20's and perhaps even early 30's with a room-mate (How adult), live at home with mommy (if possible) or live in the less desirable areas of the these meccas. And yes they have less desirable areas.

Or of course they could *gasp* move to one of the evil red-states and live in one of their cities..... and yes there are actually quite a few that are not that bad at all . Guess what most, of the time they are pretty liberal, too!
But if there would be a "solid ten year residency requirement for newcomers" in the red states, too...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 07:31 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,377,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Two decades of illegal immigration has flipped California blue. Democrats in that state realize they can only win the bay area and Los Angeles, so they thought it would be a good idea to import millions of illegals and turn the state into a dumping ground for them. If we got rid of the illegals, most of California would swing red.

You do realize that illegals can't vote, don't you?

Old 04-16-2017, 07:12 PM
exm

3,722 posts, read 1,783,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
As a Democrat, I don't want to cater to middle America. The coastal economies are doing so much better than middle America and I have nothing in common with them. IMO let middle America live with Republican policies while the coasts move forward with things like healthcare, college, environmental protections and alternative energy sources on the coasts. Middle America can end Planned Parenthood and live with the resulting unplanned pregnancies, limited availability of birth control, politicians controlled by religion, end minimum wage, reduced availability of health coverage, lack of coverage for pre-existing conditions and prisons for profit. As we move forward, the best result would be increased state independence and the right for states to impose lengthy residency requirements so red staters can't game the system and shop for blue state benefits should they become ill. I don't believe the answer is for Democrats to start catering to middle America.
I live in NY, and my taxes are sky high. To be honest, I don't know why industries say in NYC (or LA/SF), but I do know that the liberal societies are leaning strongly on tax revenues and the federal government. It's like Thatcher said: "eventually you run out of other people’s money".

When you say they're doing so much better, is that true? I feel there are these classes in NYC:
- The rich (you know Wall Street, lawyers, politicians)
- The upper middle class (mostly professionals)
- The union workers (protected by the state government: teachers, cops, transit workers, etc)
- The poor (helped by the liberals)
- The ****ed (everyone else)

In these so called "red states" you have a much better chance if you're not in the rich/upper MC/union class.

I'm guessing Seacove is in the rich/upper MC/union/poor class.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:37 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
You do realize that illegals can't vote, don't you?
California allows illegals to get drivers licenses. Anyone in that state with a drivers license.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:40 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I live in NY, and my taxes are sky high. To be honest, I don't know why industries say in NYC (or LA/SF), but I do know that the liberal societies are leaning strongly on tax revenues and the federal government. It's like Thatcher said: "eventually you run out of other people’s money".

When you say they're doing so much better, is that true? I feel there are these classes in NYC:
- The rich (you know Wall Street, lawyers, politicians)
- The upper middle class (mostly professionals)
- The union workers (protected by the state government: teachers, cops, transit workers, etc)
- The poor (helped by the liberals)
- The ****ed (everyone else)

In these so called "red states" you have a much better chance if you're not in the rich/upper MC/union class.

I'm guessing Seacove is in the rich/upper MC/union/poor class.
You are talking about the working class? The working class in red states are under constant assault. Its not good to be working class in the south.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:45 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
You are talking about the working class? The working class in red states are under constant assault. Its not good to be working class in the south.
At my ex employer's Nashville MTSA plants, working class own boats, make terrific salaries, have great benefits, and get annual bonuses.

Without having to pay a state income tax.

They also are invited to awards dinners every 5 years, usually held at a country club on a pretty lake.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:11 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
At my ex employer's Nashville MTSA plants, working class own boats, make terrific salaries, have great benefits, and get annual bonuses.

Without having to pay a state income tax.

They also are invited to awards dinners every 5 years, usually held at a country club on a pretty lake.
Thats the exception. In Tennessee, carpenters earn almost $20 000 less than in Washington state. It is irrational for the working class to be against taxes for services.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:37 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,377,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
California allows illegals to get drivers licenses. Anyone in that state with a drivers license.
Been thru this before on this forum. No, Illegals cannot vote in CA, even with a drivers license.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:09 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Been thru this before on this forum. No, Illegals cannot vote in CA, even with a drivers license.

Trump Is Right — Millions Of Illegals Probably Did Vote In 2016

California does not require proof of citizenship to vote

Old 04-17-2017, 04:18 PM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by as111 View Post
Then Trump will be re-elected.
Yes, he will. 1/2 of my traditional Democratic family are not longer Dems or at least voting that way because of the last 8 years of- Favoritism to Illegal Aliens over American citizens, Trading Deserters for Terrorist, passing an unsustainable program in Obama Care, 3 additional countries we are at war with despite having a Peace Prize winning President, IRS investigations of opponents, Selling guns to drug Cartels.

I would have voted for the Hillary Clinton of 9 years ago, but that Hillary Clinton wasn't running, Obama 2 was running, a continuation of the above. There are no Hillary Clinton's of 9 years ago or Bill Clinton's of the 90s anymore. I don't see one Democrat front runner being Pragmatic and Centrist enough to capture the American public, unless the Orange one kills the economy or gets us into another war like Iraq.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections