Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Democrat Would have Best Chance at Beating Trump in 2020 for President?
Elizabeth Warren 19 17.12%
Jason Kander 6 5.41%
Tim Kaine 5 4.50%
Tim Ryan 5 4.50%
Keith Ellison 6 5.41%
other (explain) 70 63.06%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 04:36 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
This is a thread about Dems running for President. Murphy is a centrist DEMOCRAT. Doesn't matter if Pubs like him.
So, he isn't a centrist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 04:41 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,377,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
So, he isn't a centrist.
The thread asks who the Dems should run for President. Don't think you'll be voting in the Democratic Primary, so it doesn't matter what your opinion is.

Last edited by staywarm2; 04-05-2017 at 04:55 PM..

Old 04-05-2017, 04:43 PM

So your buddy, Steve Bannon, has been demoted. No longer head of the NSC. YEA!

Old 04-05-2017, 04:43 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
Quote:
Don't think you'll be voting in the Democratic Primary, so it doesn't matter what your opinion is.
Probably not, but as a Baltimore City resident it is possible. We have a failed one party (Democrat) city government and I routinely consider switching. Haven't been able to stomach switching yet, the Democrats are just too vile.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Probably not, but as a Baltimore City resident it is possible. We have a failed one party (Democrat) city government and I routinely consider switching. Haven't been able to stomach switching yet, the Democrats are just too vile.
MANY years ago, I considered registering as a Republican. But I knew George W. Bush was going to take us into an unnecessary war, so I went Independent instead. Happy to be here, but most often feel the Dems are a better choice, especially in 2016.

In my state, Independents can vote in the primaries.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:57 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I know it's early, but I've been wondering about who the Democrats should run in 2020. As a Democrat, I was a little disappointed with how few people were in the debates last time around. I voted for Bernie in the primaries, but I was ready to move on once he lost. I wasn't a passionate Hillary supporter but I happily voted for her.

However, the Dems will need a candidate with more enthusiasm behind him or her, and one that will be very solidly ahead of the other candidate. You can even lose the electoral college with a 3 million popular vote lead, so it's important to have as much support as you can get across the board.

I honestly have no idea who are the best choices right now. I know Bernie has a lot of passionate supporters, but he, along with everyone born before 1950 or so, will be too old next time around.

Ideally in my opinion, it should be someone who's not anti-gun, and who can appeal to as many people as possible with their platform. Also, it should be someone on the younger side. And of course, somebody with as little baggage as possible! Only Republicans, more specifically Donald Trump, are allowed to have baggage it seems like.

The anti-gun thing is important because not being pro-gun alone is a deal breaker for many people, but not being anti-gun is not a dealbreaker for most Democratic voters. It might open up a lot of gun owners to vote Democrat, which would be very help.

Also, as far as states go, I think Democrats should have Arizona, Georgia, and Texas in their crosshairs. The former two states, Hillary did not lose by a large margin and I can see the next Democrat possibly winning those states. Texas is a little more of a long shot, but it's not impossible. If the Dems get Texas, the Republicans would have very little chance of winning.
They should try something they haven't done the last 12 years. Run someone with ethics, good policies, and who defends the rights of the individual.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:10 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
They should try something they haven't done the last 12 years. Run someone with ethics, good policies, and who defends the rights of the individual.
If you ideologically disagree with someone, there will only be a few areas where you ever agree that they are doing that.

There will always be people who call it "special rights" to allow gay people to get married, or say it is federal overreach to enforce what is left of the CRA.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:05 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Main concern of liberals now is protecting non citizen illegal aliens and giving them "sanctuary " . Even if they've committed multiple crimes .
No, pretty much nobody is in favor of not deporting people who have committed serious crimes.

As for sanctuary cities, New York City is a sanctuary city and it's very prosperous and safe. NYC being a sanctuary city is not an issue at all. If you don't like sanctuary cities or don't want to live around Hispanics, you have large swaths of the country to live in. Do you really expect every municipality to cater to Breitbart users?

Quote:
This is a thread about Dems running for President. Murphy is a centrist DEMOCRAT. Doesn't matter if Pubs like him. The fact that the Club for Growth doesn't support him is a good thing in my book!
Right, "centrist" doesn't have to mean agreeing with the Republicans 50% of the time.

Could you imagine the outrage from Republicans if any of their members voted with Democrats 50% of the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
If you ideologically disagree with someone, there will only be a few areas where you ever agree that they are doing that.

There will always be people who call it "special rights" to allow gay people to get married, or say it is federal overreach to enforce what is left of the CRA.
Exactly! If he or she is a conservative, I doubt they would like any Democrat unless they're a blatant DINO.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:52 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
The most liberal candidate we can find. And don't tell me about losing because i don't care. I'd rather run a real live Democrat than another one of these corporate Democrats that have run this party into the ground even if we lose.

Let the Repubs run the corporatists. That's their platform.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:53 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The most liberal candidate we can find. And don't tell me about losing because i don't care. I'd rather run a real live Democrat than another one of these corporate Democrats that have run this party into the ground even if we lose.

Let the Repubs run the corporatists. That's their platform.
"The most liberal candidate we can find."

You forgot The most liberal BLACK candidate we can find, concerning your previous posts on this site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections