Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Democrat Would have Best Chance at Beating Trump in 2020 for President?
Elizabeth Warren 19 17.12%
Jason Kander 6 5.41%
Tim Kaine 5 4.50%
Tim Ryan 5 4.50%
Keith Ellison 6 5.41%
other (explain) 70 63.06%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 12:50 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Many Rust Belt working class people seem to think they are much more important than the rest of the citizens of this huge country. There are many other people across the nation who need jobs, medical care, food and housing.
Please explain? Actually the Democratic party made it clear that even non U.S. citizens, illegal immigrants were more important to the Democrat party than rust belt voters so naturally rust belt voters moved right and voted Republican. What did you expect? Democrats thought they had the rust belt in the bag just like they think they have all African Americans in the bag. As Julia Roberts said in Pretty Woman... Big mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 02:18 AM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Many Rust Belt working class people seem to think they are much more important than the rest of the citizens of this huge country. There are many other people across the nation who need jobs, medical care, food and housing.
No they know they are as important, and rightfully expressed their views at polls, just like all of us.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:23 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,571 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
someone like Jim Webb or Tim Ryan would be great choices but they are not far left loonies like the Democrats want these days
Jim Webb is a centrist and Tim Ryan has the same liberal score as Nancy Pelosi.

So in reality, you just picked 2 people who couldnt be further apart, are on different sides of the Democratic Party, and one who is just as left, if not further left than the current House leader Pelosi(since Ryan has voted again bills because they werent liberal enough, Pelosi because they were too liberal).

this is my problem with people who follow politics, many of you claim you hate political correctness and Optics, but you gush over people like Tim Ryan. Whats even worse is that Im 100% sure the second Tim Ryan gains power, people will take him down based on who his mentor and former boss was.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:44 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,571 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Whomever it is, they should be wary of beating the gun control subject too hard. I know more than a few Democrats who wanted Sanders over Hillary because they felt he would be softer on the issue. Democrats sometimes forget what a wide-ranging group we are, and they underestimate how strongly a lot of us feel about the issue. I still support Dems on a number of issues like health care, right to choose, and right to marry, but preserving the second amendment comes first for me now, thanks to idiotic legislature like NY's SAFE act and similar measures in MA and CT. NJ is no better.

I'm only one person, but was heavily influenced by the idea of someone like Hillary getting to appoint another Ginsberg to the Supreme Court - leaving us no hope for having rights restored in what is an obvious infringement. I doubt I'm the only one to feel this way.
This is a deeper argument but...

There are many Democrats who believe you have a right to bare arms,but the Constitution does not grant you that right.

The federalist paper,which were written to explain and promote the passage of the Constitution, clearly state that its the Militia's job to keep and maintain weapons, not the general public.

the authors of the federalist papers are

John Jay, 1st Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court
Alexander Hamilton, 1st Secretary of the Treasury
James Madison, 4th President, Father of the Constitution

Old 03-29-2017, 05:55 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Oh, I heard a rumor my grandmother was going to run for president too!

Old 03-30-2017, 04:26 PM

24,513 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Oh, I heard a rumor my grandmother was going to run for president too!
Is she Republican or Democrat?

Old 03-30-2017, 06:12 PM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I think Franken and Cuomo are good candidates. Also think there will be a good choice of Dems to choose from to run. By 2020, this country is going to be so very sick of conservatives dragging us backward, that there will be a push for progress.

Ya got Trump dragging us to the 50s, with his pollution and manufacturing, mines and stripping consumers and the middle class of financial protections. You've got Sessions and his idiotic drug wars dragging us back to the 80s. You've got Pence and his conservative christian 'values' dragging us back to god knows what. We'll be engaged in more military action and possibly wars, because we will have to use all those military toys that Trump is financing.

Millennials will be more engaged. There will be a much larger majority of mixed race marriages and kids. There will be way fewer old white guys yearning for the old days 50s, and women will have had it with the ultra conservative agenda. Americans will have to work very hard to catch up with the other countries passing us by.

Those predicting a second Trump term at age 74, or Pence if he is POTUS by then will be disappointed.
" Americans will have to work very hard to catch up with the other countries passing us by."

Like Turkey, Saudi Arabia, or Iran

Old 03-30-2017, 06:14 PM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Franken? PLEASE YES! Or Warren!

Gosh, that would be a landslide victory for the GOP.
A comedian and a fake Indian

Old 03-30-2017, 07:09 PM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
He's also thinking of having Jill Stein as his running mate.

Franken-Stein 2020!
Really, he is going to have his own reality show??

Old 03-31-2017, 05:42 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,440,332 times
Franken is Mick Jagger in a fun house mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections