Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 06:55 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Minor View Post
I live just outside Charlotte which is home to a lot of upscale conservative Democrats. There are also large pockets of Hispanics to the east and south. Obama will take the black vote here but Hillary will win the area overall.

The vote may be a lot closer than people think.

Your mentioning large colleges and universities is interesting. Only 1% of the US population is in a college or university.
I live in Gaston County and work in Southpark. Most of the upscale folks I know are all Republican and I try not to talk politics too much. I don't know how it will go. All I know is who I am voting for in the primary. Past that, I have no idea. I just don't like Obama at all. He just comes across like a snake to me and I wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him. Too many question marks with him. And I really don't like his wife. She seems like a total uppity B**** and I just don't care for people like that at all. I really like Hillary and have always said I'd vote for her if she ran. She's an attorney like most people who get into politics and is just a strong person. Experience arguments aside, I just think she'd make the better candidate b/c she has laid out her plans and she has shown she is a fighter. Who knows how it will play out. We still have a couple months until the primary here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 07:23 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I live in Gaston County and work in Southpark. Most of the upscale folks I know are all Republican and I try not to talk politics too much. I don't know how it will go. All I know is who I am voting for in the primary. Past that, I have no idea. I just don't like Obama at all. He just comes across like a snake to me and I wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him. Too many question marks with him. And I really don't like his wife. She seems like a total uppity B**** and I just don't care for people like that at all. I really like Hillary and have always said I'd vote for her if she ran. She's an attorney like most people who get into politics and is just a strong person. Experience arguments aside, I just think she'd make the better candidate b/c she has laid out her plans and she has shown she is a fighter. Who knows how it will play out. We still have a couple months until the primary here.
Actually your snake analogy fits Hillary much better than Obama. Her campaign is doing anything and everything to win this nomination while not seeming to care if it destroys the party in the process. How she ever hopes to get the black and youth vote in the GE is beyond me, she's in the process of burning way too many bridges.

Anyway, a new NC SUSA poll has Obama up 49-41.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:32 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,582,814 times
Well something is going on for Obama in North Carolina because polls show that he is leading. Hes getting the young vote and the black vote in NC but hes also getting the vote of upscale democrats and republicans there. My guess is that the lower income whites will support Hillary so she should do well in the eastern part of North Carolina. However, the bulk of the state's population is in the piedmont region where all the urban cities are. So thats why Obama is ahead. There are not enough low income rural votes for Hillary because in the rural area of NC, populational density is pretty low. In the state's biggest cities, Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Winston-Salem and Durham will all go for Obama, especially Durham because there is a large black population there. More than half of the state's population are in the city metro areas. The Charlotte metro has like 2 million people, The Piedmont Triad metro (Greensboro/Winsto-Salem/High Point) has 1.6 million people and the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) has about 1.6 million people. There is over 8,000,000 people in North Carolina and the three largest metros combined have over 5,000,000 people. That urban ratio is whats giving Obama the edge.

Of the three urban metros Hillary would probabally do some what ok in the Greensboro,Winston-Salem/High Point are because the area has more traditional industries (textiles,tobacco,furniture). There have been alot of textile job layoffs in this area. However the unemployment isnt that bad because hitech jobs are replacing the old traditional jobs. Dell recently opened a computer factory in the Greensboro area, and Honda Aircraft company is building its world headquarters and a jet factory in Greensboro. Construction is underway on the new FEDEX mid-atlantic air hub. A Greensboro based computer chip company which has world-wide operations is expanding and will add hundreds more high paying jobs in Greensboro. These jobs pay up to $75,000 per year. Because the economy is already on the track of improving in the Triad metro, Hillary wont do as well there as shes done in more depressed area in Ohio. Obama will still dominate.

Last edited by gsoboi; 03-12-2008 at 07:56 AM..

Old 03-13-2008, 07:09 AM

North Carolina to become a battleground state

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Obama camp: Clinton won’t compete in battlegrounds « - Blogs from CNN.com

Old 03-13-2008, 08:15 PM

Hillary and Obama have agreed to have a televised debate in North Carolina April 19th. The debate will be on CBS and Katie Couric will be the moderator. With 134 delegates up for grabs, North Carolina becomes an important battleground state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections