Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:54 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,121,313 times

Advertisements

I have been a registered Democrat all of my life. I'm in my 60's and I have voted in every election since I cast my first ballot for John F. Kennedy.

I am pretty much a moderate on social issues-except abortion (which I oppose), a liberal on most military issues and a fiscal conservative.

We Democrats have had 2 poor candidates in a row. Al Gore was a bright man but misguided, mishandled plus he came off as a little "goofy" which hurt him. John Kerry was too liberal and came off as a Ted Kennedy clone. His whinney wife didn't help him either. I closed my eyes, bit my tongue and voted for both of these guys because Bush would have been worse. And he was!

Now we have a chance to elect our first woman president or a black.

Neither fit my definition of moderate or conservative. Hillary Rodham Clinton wife of the former president William Jefferson Clinton is closer to moderate than Barack Hussein Obama.

Obama had a Communist advisor in his youth. He allied himself with a convicted left fringe terrorist in Chicago who told his followerrs to "kill your parents". He marched and associated with Louis Farrakhan who says blacks should "hate whitey". This same line of logic is followed by Barack's preacher and spiritual advisor Jerimiah Wright who has been known to curse and shout racist words and anti-American phrases from his church pulpit.

I'm supporting Hillary.

I can't vote for Obama to lead my country to ruin.

If I have to, I will close my eyes, bite my tongue and vote for McCain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 01:58 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,197,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Not so fast -- I like McCain's chances primarily because who he will run against.
Hillary has unbelievably high negatives. If she somehow becomes the Democrat nominee, I can see droves of young idealistic voters and black voters sitting home.

As for Obama, he can't even win big primary elections in some of the states he would need to win in the general election (Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, Texas, etc.)

Plus our country is not ruled by a strinct party allegiance principle such as Great Britian is. So the fact that President Bush and John McCain are of the same party really has very little importance to the current race. If it DID, all McCain would have to do is point out that Obama (or Clinton) belong the the same party as Harry Reid, Nancy Palosi, Ted Kennedy, etc.
We most certainly are a nation of Party loyalty. While there are a growing number of independents, most people from either the left or the right will vote accordingly regardless.

McCain is considered a moderate, which I find kind of humorous because he is a clone of Bush in many of the most major respects on war and economy. Clinton is one of the more hawkish Democrats that ran this cycle, after all, the neoconservatives came out supporting Clinton if Rudy didn't get the nod and that alone should tell you something. Obama is certainly the most liberal of the two and even then only moderately so, as the only true liberals in this cycle were Kucinich and Gravel and we all know how far they got.

A year from now folks will be regretting they didn't have a Thompson vs Edwards ticket or something to that effect.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:05 PM

540 posts, read 962,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
A year from now folks will be regretting they didn't have a Thompson vs Edwards ticket or something to that effect.
If that had been the race, I think we would have seen a President Bloomberg in office a year from now.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:15 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,438 times
I'll vote for either one of the Dems before I would ever vote for McCain, but I will say this for McCain: he would have been a far better choice in 2000 than Bush.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:21 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
The GOP has discredited conservatism, just as the Dems discredited liberalism.

People become enamored with partisan dualities and forget that philosophy is three-dimensional.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:50 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,897 times
Most Americans aren't that ideological anymore. All they know is their jobs are going away, they make less money every year, and the country is in a war in a country they wish they knew less about. I think alot of Americans have realized that the conesrvative rhetoric is tired and doesn't really work as advertised. Cutting taxes, increasing trade with every banana republic third world country, and cutting funding for social services hasn't produced the middle class American Dream of playing by the rules and good things happen. Last year for the first time since WWII, the median family income actually declined for 61,000 dollars to 60,000 dollars. Alot of people are going to take note of that and put 2 and 2 together.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:13 PM

374 posts, read 231,553 times
Talk about being dramatic. I love how Conservatives love to impose their personal beliefs on the rest of us. We govern with the constitution, not your bible.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:27 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,855,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets agree to disagree View Post
Talk about being dramatic. I love how Conservatives love to impose their personal beliefs on the rest of us. We govern with the constitution, not your bible.
QFT. I'll start considering the GOP again when they kick out the loony wing of the party err...sorry, what I meant to say was their Social Conservative wing. I'm sick of and tired of social conservatives trying to force their BS(under the guise of family values or some crap like that) on the rest of the nation.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:43 PM

793 posts, read 2,214,433 times
I am a centrist who don't want McCain to win. I would be happy if Paul would win, But i guess i am asking too much. Obama, apart from Abortion and a few other things i don't agree with, is not so bad. Though my vision of health care system is the one they have in France. But no one is even talking about this option.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:13 PM

108 posts, read 348,708 times
Default see thats the problem right there you moderates

you make no apology for slapping us with your drudgery.. But those conservatives ,(that is what this column is about)like me who are sick of being spoon fed your mindless dreamer hopes of junk politics . If we could truly get back to conservative politics yours would dissapear. Fear not though America remember the alpha and omega ,the GREAT awsome and almighty is in control and is the only one keeping this ship floating..........Thank you LORD anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I agree - but the party has been hijacked by right wing ultra conservative "in your business" nutballs. I have kept my registration w/ GOP, but probably should switch to Libertarian . . . wh/ I came close to doing. I keep thinking the party needs moderates like me . . . so I hang in there . . . but dear lord. I get downright embarrassed being associated w/ some of the absolute ignorance I hear from the far right. Just plain embarrassing! There are plenty more like me out there . . . but we are feeling beleaguered.

I believe people are responsible for themselves - and the gov't should not be IN MY BIDNESS. You don't believe in abortion - don't get one. You don't approve of gay marriage - don't marry a same sex partner. You don't believe in evolution - teach your kids whatever. Just don't push your beliefs down my throat - I am not about to swallow that stuff. You don't think the moral values in this country reflect your beliefs? Teach your kids and live your life as you please. What a bunch of judgmental, narrow-minded people.

Yep, plain embarrassing. I do not feel the need to LEGISLATE MORALITY. First of all, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE. This is a country built on freedoms - seems these right-wingers are trying to TAKE AWAY freedoms. Do I care if you do something stupid? Nope as long as it doesn't affect my life. That is your right! But quit trying to impose your views on the rest of us.

Embarrassing.

No way the GOP can win this election. If George Washington himself showed up on the GOP ticket, he would not win. The country is sick of Republicans. Thank you, GWB and all you right wingers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections