Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:36 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I will be writing in Ron Paul even if he doesnt win the republican nom. I will vote with my heart this time and not the party line. It's about time most Americans start voting for the best canidate not the lesser of two evils.
At the risk of seeing the liberal/dem put in office?

Remember 1992.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 06:32 AM

540 posts, read 962,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Back to my original point, someone like McCain, who opposed tax cuts, favored open borders and more massive illegal immigration(which is what his comprehensive plan would have done), takes a left wing one world view of global warming regulation over our economy, and made deals with Democrats to allow them the option to still be able to filibuster judges from getting up or down votes and only saves his tirades for Republicans, never Democrats, is going to screw us. Will he be better than Hillary or Obama? Yes. But after 4 years of him will we have lower taxes, smaller government, our Mexican border under control and conservative appointments to the supreme court, I doubt it.
McCain opposed the tax cuts because he is a true fiscal conservative and wanted guarantees that spending would be cut along with taxes. Now that the cuts are in place he is not going to increase them. He didn't favor open borders, he favored fixing a problem rather than sticking with the status quo. He favored comprehensive immigration reform that secured the borders and took care of business, but also had incentives for the Democrats to come on board - it never would have come close to passage without. On global warming, he recognizes that even if global warming isn't real, there are gains to be made in transitioning from our carbon based economy. He is looking long-term.

This idea that McCain isn't conservative is just absurd. Look at his record. He has a rating of 82 from the ACU. Refusing to be a party hack and working to get things done does not a liberal make.

Last edited by trzlucky; 04-11-2008 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-11-2008, 07:03 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
At the risk of seeing the liberal/dem put in office?

Remember 1992.
Actually I think this is where we disagree. I didnt mind seeing a Democrat in the White House, provided there was a Republican Congress.

We spend so much time here educating people that the White House has limited powers, does not write the budgets, does not spend, does not control the economy, that to even argue over who takes the White House is almost stupid. I'm personally more concerned over who controls the Congress.

Economically under the Clinton administration we had a decent economy, balanced the budget, reduced welfare etc, but he did these things only because he had a true Republican Congress fighting him all the way. (remember that evil Newt Gingrich who balanced the budget and put people to work? The Contract with America)

Let the Democrats have the White House, long as the Republicans take the Congress.

Checks and balances, its what its all about.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:06 AM

540 posts, read 962,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually I think this is where we disagree. I didnt mind seeing a Democrat in the White House, provided there was a Republican Congress.

We spend so much time here educating people that the White House has limited powers, does not write the budgets, does not spend, does not control the economy, that to even argue over who takes the White House is almost stupid. I'm personally more concerned over who controls the Congress.

Economically under the Clinton administration has a decent economy, balanced the budget, reduced welfare etc, but he did these things only because he had a true Republican Congress fighting him all the way.

Let the Democrats have the White House, long as the Republicans take the Congress.

Checks and balances, its what its all about.
I completely agree, but an Obama in the White House with a Pelosi and Reed led Legislative scares the hell out of me.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:08 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
I completely agree, but an Obama in the White House with a Pelosi and Reed led Legislative scares the hell out of me.
The scary part of that.. Pelosi and Reed led Legislative.. We've seen their incompetence during the last 2 years, imagine if they can just do what they want!

Old 04-11-2008, 07:11 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:

Checks and balances, its what its all about
It's not likely the Republicans will gain back the house or senate. Therefore, having a republican President will be the check/balance on a left-wing congress. Think of the disastrous things this congress has tried to do, If not for the veto by "W".

Old 04-11-2008, 02:06 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,613,866 times
Personally I believe conservatives will be in for a long wait. Even the most optimistic GOP gurus see the White House & both houses of congress going strongly Democrat [likely veto-proof]. This situation is entirely the doing of the religious right/necon [ie huge budgets/unregulated spending] damage to the Republican party & to the country. Bush is by no means a conservative but rather a reckless evangelical spender [totally depilating American resources/bankrupting the nation. Lowest approval rating of any president : 28%

Conservatives have painfully learned that an alignment with the Republican party carries lots of burdens. Schwarzenegger is considered a conservative serving the Democratic party; that's a winning formula

Old 04-11-2008, 02:21 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
McCain opposed the tax cuts because he is a true fiscal conservative and wanted guarantees that spending would be cut along with taxes. Now that the cuts are in place he is not going to increase them. He didn't favor open borders, he favored fixing a problem rather than sticking with the status quo. He favored comprehensive immigration reform that secured the borders and took care of business, but also had incentives for the Democrats to come on board - it never would have come close to passage without. On global warming, he recognizes that even if global warming isn't real, there are gains to be made in transitioning from our carbon based economy. He is looking long-term.

This idea that McCain isn't conservative is just absurd. Look at his record. He has a rating of 82 from the ACU. Refusing to be a party hack and working to get things done does not a liberal make.
I agree totally with your post! He is conscious about the debt America is in and he really does care. It is not all puff and smoke to stroke his ego.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:24 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The scary part of that.. Pelosi and Reed led Legislative.. We've seen their incompetence during the last 2 years, imagine if they can just do what they want!
That will send the USA in a serious downward spiral! People think allot of homeowners are loosing their homes now just you wait!
Yes, they will implement new programs at the cost of taxes going up which people cannot pay.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:05 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,240,598 times
Whether or not McCain can win in November depends on 3 things:

1. Gas prices
2. The overall economy
3. Iraq

If gas prices go to $5/gal, he is toast. People are sick of the robber-baron oil campanies & their record profits, and will see the GOP as their enablers.

If the economy takes a severe hit, for example, the DOW drops below 10,000, he is toast.

If the violence level in Iraq escalates, he is toast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections