Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 10:17 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,708,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
After asking this question tirelessly, you're the first Buttigieg supporter to attempt to answer my question, so I want to thank you for that much.

Now for my response:

And how does he plan to achieve that?

Can you please expand more on this "different version?"

IMO, that's the equivalent of saying "thoughts and prayers," and not really a policy stance. How does he plan to help unions?

I also don't understand his stance on large companies. It would be nice if he were less vague.

Now that's a solid policy stance, one that I can support.
Can't really answer those questions yet. Don't believe many candidates have outlined how they would achieve their political goals.

Some decent reads:
https://www.currentaffairs.org/2019/03/all-about-pete

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/12/2020...apitalism.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 11:47 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
After asking this question tirelessly, you're the first Buttigieg supporter to attempt to answer my question, so I want to thank you for that much.

Quote:
And how does he plan to achieve that?
The same way Obama did, partner with local companies and community college, offer grants to people who go directly into those fields. Preferential treatment to anyone laid off from designated companies/fields

Quote:
Can you please expand more on this "different version?"
Medicare op-in for those under 67.

current rate is 1.45, he would up it to 5% per pay period.

for someone making median income, thats about 150 dollars a month.

Quote:
IMO, that's the equivalent of saying "thoughts and prayers," and not really a policy stance. How does he plan to help unions?
He didnt get specific here.

Quote:
I also don't understand his stance on large companies. It would be nice if he were less vague.
Based on what he said, he might support breaking some of them up.

Quote:
Now that's a solid policy stance, one that I can support.
15 justices.

5 Democrats, 5 Republins, 5 "Independents" elected unanimously by the other 10.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:39 AM

Election reform as well
Doing away with the Electoral College

Old 04-14-2019, 05:03 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,715,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Medicare op-in for those under 67.

current rate is 1.45, he would up it to 5% per pay period.

for someone making median income, thats about 150 dollars a month.
So basically, you're suggesting he's for a public option...

1. That's not the same as Medicare For All.

2. Do you have a link or video where he actually says he's for a public options, or are you just editorializing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The same way Obama did, partner with local companies and community college, offer grants to people who go directly into those fields. Preferential treatment to anyone laid off from designated companies/fields.
Interesting.

Do you have a link where he says these things? I haven't seen or heard it.

All I've seen him say is that he supports *a* Green New Deal, which is the same as saying he supports unions. What elements would a Green New Deal he implements consists of?

Old 04-14-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Election reform as well
Doing away with the Electoral College
So thus far, there's that and the Supreme Court where he's taken a solid policy stance.

Anything else?

Old 04-14-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
So basically, you're suggesting he's for a public option...

1. That's not the same as Medicare For All.

2. Do you have a link or video where he actually says he's for a public options, or are you just editorializing?

Interesting.

Do you have a link where he says these things? I haven't seen or heard it.

All I've seen him say is that he supports *a* Green New Deal, which is the same as saying he supports unions. What elements would a Green New Deal he implements consists of?
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/peter-...g-health-care/

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c47871...ete-healthcare

Old 04-14-2019, 07:59 AM

Thanks!

So my takeaway from both of those videos (given that he said he wants to look "at other policy proposals") is that he's not really sure where he stands when it comes to healthcare policy.

Would that be a fair interpretation to make?

Old 04-14-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks!

So my takeaway from both of those videos (given that he said he wants to look "at other policy proposals") is that he's not really sure where he stands when it comes to healthcare policy.

Would that be a fair interpretation to make?
I say so. I think he is definitely for improving healthcare in the U.S. and making it affordable.

He has great ideas and charisma.

Could see Buttigieg either as President with these candidates as his VP or vice versa: Inslee; Williamson; Delaney; Klobouchar; O'Rourke; Gillibrand.

Last edited by RunD1987; 04-14-2019 at 08:31 AM..

Old 04-14-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I say so. I think he is definitely for improving healthcare in the U.S. and making it affordable.

He has great ideas and charisma.

He be greatly matched with Inslee, Williamson, or Klobouchar.
Buttigieg's definitely charismatic for sure. He's skilled at using all of the right words and phrases to make people feel good. Even conservatives such as Rush Limbaugh have admitted that much. God has blessed him with the gift of gab, no doubt about it.

That being said, I think back to some of our previous presidents such as Obama, Clinton, Reagan and Carter. All 4 of them were also very charismatic. They were also very vague about where they stood on policy and only spoke in philosophical platitudes. And in the case of Obama and Clinton specifically, they brought with them a pretty face to help conceal the underlying ugliness that exists in our institution.

Do I think the country is better off in the wake of their administrations? I'm not so sure. We're now $20 trillion dollars in debt, we're still (in many ways) struggling to recover economically from a Wall Street-fueled real estate bubble, we are involved in multiple never-ending military combat missions and our country has never been more divided when it comes to how we should collective improve our quality of life.

Would I love to get together with them to have dinner, watch a ball game or have a beer? Sure. Do I think they would do great work in a more managerial role where they can be more intimately involved in implementing the intrinsic details of policy proposal? Absolutely. Would I vote for them again to lead our country? Heck no.

So when I see someone like Pete Buttigieg come along who embodies the same characteristics as the aforementioned presidents, extreme skepticism of his profile is warranted.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:44 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,100,032 times
Quote:
Buttigieg's definitely charismatic for sure. He's skilled at using all of the right words and phrases to make people feel good. Even conservatives such as Rush Limbaugh have admitted that much. God has blessed him with the gift of gab, no doubt about it.

That being said, I think back to some of our previous presidents such as Obama, Clinton, Reagan and Carter. All 4 of them were also very charismatic. They were also very vague about where they stood on policy and only spoke in philosophical platitudes. And in the case of Obama and Clinton specifically, they brought with them a pretty face to help conceal the underlying ugliness that exists in our institution.

Do I think the country is better off in the wake of their administrations? I'm not so sure. We're now $20 trillion dollars in debt, we're still (in many ways) struggling to recover economically from a Wall Street-fueled real estate bubble, we are involved in multiple never-ending military combat missions and our country has never been more divided when it comes to how we should collective improve our quality of life.

Would I love to get together with them to have dinner, watch a ball game or have a beer? Sure. Do I think they would do great work in a more managerial role where they can be more intimately involved in implementing the intrinsic details of policy proposal? Absolutely. Would I vote for them again to lead our country? Heck no.

So when I see someone like Pete Buttigieg come along who embodies the same characteristics as the aforementioned presidents, extreme skepticism of his profile is warranted.
Still looking at what we currently have and what has he done to the same debt you speak off while at the same time ranting without much sense and dividing our country. Well I rather take a chance on this guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections