Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:46 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Minor View Post
Barack Obama and I agree on this!

Quote:
Go back to the first. It appears the mods moved it here from the Religion category.
! Well, okay.... thanks for finding that MM, I wouldnt have looked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 07:54 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,121,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
I thought you said you don't care if someone marries a cow and have no problem with same sex marriages?

Do you mean you don't support by not caring one way or another or you do not support as in you are against? Just looking for clarity
Sorry I thought I made that clear. Let's try again.

As long as the union is performed by a civil employee I have no objection to it or whom it unites.

A Marriage however, can be performed in a church by a pastor or priest since it is a recognized function of a religious body. The bible only recognizes and sanctifies a marriage as between a man and a woman.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:59 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,815,197 times
Quote:
A Marriage however, can be performed in a church by a pastor or priest since it is a recognized function of a religious body. The bible only recognizes and sanctifies a marriage as between a man and a woman.
And the non-Christian marriages? Oops!

The Bible also recognizes that eating shrimp is a sin, and wives should be slaves to their husbands.

Sounds to me like since you think marriage is strictly a religious ceremony, the government should have no role in it whatsoever, and just hand out civil unions.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:01 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
Quote:
Sorry I thought I made that clear. Let's try again.

As long as the union is performed by a civil employee I have no objection to it or whom it unites.

Obama said a) he does not support gay marriage and b) he believes in a traditional man and woman marriage, not that he is okay as long as it is done by a civil employee.

You said you don't care if same sexes get married as long as it is done by a civil employee. Now if you meant you support civil unions and are against gay marriage then you would be agreeing with Obama but you specifically stated you don't care if gay people get married as long as it is done by a civil employee. Two different statements....one being against gay marriage (Obama) and one being for a gay marriage done by a civil employee (you).

EDIT: FORGET IT....I AM SPLITTING HAIRS AND HONESTLY DON'T WANT TO CONTINUE THIS

Old 07-30-2008, 08:04 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
.......and wives should be slaves to their husbands.
I need to get my wife to church!

Old 07-30-2008, 11:45 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
I think allowing gay marriages would bring a mess to our society, that's one of the reasons why I'm not voting for Obama because he supports gay marriages
Obama doesn't support gay marriage.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:50 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
It would be the same benefits as heterosexual marriage; health coverages, taxes, financial benefits, purchasing power etc.
The question was how does gay marriage benefit society...not self.

How does gay marriage benefit our society in a way it does not now?

Quote:
If there is a true separation of church and state
That statement is not in the constitution...and it's a fallacy to think the framers of our constitution wanted such a thing. Jefferson didn't even sign the constitution and bowed out because he was not part and partial to the talks and process during the forming of it!

But...this is:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
But this isn't about religion. You are making it out to be...See if you can answer the question posed to you without going on an OT tirade.

Quote:
Tell me what is the reason, other than your religious BELIEF (which is faith based) why gays should not be married and again, don't give speculation on what could happen.
Tell me why you believe what you do except, don't say why you believe that.

Okay?

Your statement/request is rediculous...

Old 07-30-2008, 05:52 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
He has flip flopped on the issue.
Opposes CA Prop. 8, one-man-one-woman marriage. (Jul 2008)
Being gay or lesbian is not a choice. (Nov 2007)
Decisions about marriage should be left to the states. (Oct 2007)
Homosexuality no more immoral than heterosexuality. (Oct 2007)
Ok to expose 6-year-olds to gay couples; they know already. (Sep 2007)
Has any marriage broken up because two gays hold hands? (Aug 2007)
We need strong civil unions, not just weak civil unions. (Aug 2007)
Legal rights for gays are conferred by state, not by church. (Aug 2007)
Disentangle gay rights from the word "marriage". (Aug 2007)
Gay marriage is less important that equal gay rights. (Aug 2007)
Gay rights movement is somewhat like civil rights movement. (Aug 2007)
Let each denominations decide on recognizing gay marriage. (Jul 2007)
Pass ENDA and expand hate crime legislation. (Mar 2007)
Opposed 1996 Illinois DOMA bill. (Mar 2007)
Supports health benefits for gay civil partners. (Oct 2006)
Opposes gay marriage; supports civil union & gay equality. (Oct 2006)
More:

Barack Obama on the Issues

Old 07-30-2008, 05:58 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I would wager, being progressive and all, that he privately has no problem with it at all, but being in the middle of trying to court those jumping the GOP ship....

Old 07-30-2008, 06:00 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,703,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
I would wager, being progressive and all, that he privately has no problem with it at all, but being in the middle of trying to court those jumping the GOP ship....
Good call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections