Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:08 AM

181 posts, read 607,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
This is the mentality I disagree with. Being in the military does not automatically make someone a patriot. I have many friends joining the military only because they want the college tuition. I realize that this is not always the case and that you can want college tutition and be patriotic, but why is it less patriotic to be a police officer or a fire fighter, or run a non-profit community service like a homeless shelter. I think these jobs are all deserving of respect and admiration, but only soldiers ever seem to get the groupies.
OMG--Firefighters get plenty of groupies, as do cops.

Seriously, though. McCain is plenty flawed, but I don't think his behavior as a POW is how he should be judged as a Presidential Candidate. The fact that he knows nothing about the economy, makes reckless decisions by choosing seriously unqualified running mates, and is now pulling stunts to delay Palin's appearance at the VP debates.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:11 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,764,557 times
Quote:
This is the mentality I disagree with. Being in the military does not automatically make someone a patriot. I have many friends joining the military only because they want the college tuition. I realize that this is not always the case and that you can want college tutition and be patriotic, but why is it less patriotic to be a police officer or a fire fighter, or run a non-profit community service like a homeless shelter. I think these jobs are all deserving of respect and admiration, but only soldiers ever seem to get the groupies.
You're right, police and fire fighters (that are in it for the right reasons) are heroes too and just because you've never heard it, don't deny they are admired by many. The only things you ever hear are the bad about them, like corruption or bad collars.

I think that those that want to go to college and serve our country are heroes as well and should be held at high esteem simply because they join and then have no say in what they have to do while in there. There's no shame in joining to get the college money. It's a more honorable way of getting to college rather than many of those out there that defraud the college cash system.

I don't know if you know this or not, but in some states (I know for a fact ours is one of them) inmates on parole go to college for free (we foot the bill as tax payers). I would rather see someone actually work for the money than commit a crime for it.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:14 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,281,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMonkey View Post
OMG--Firefighters get plenty of groupies, as do cops.

Seriously, though. McCain is plenty flawed, but I don't think his behavior as a POW is how he should be judged as a Presidential Candidate. The fact that he knows nothing about the economy, makes reckless decisions by choosing seriously unqualified running mates, and is now pulling stunts to delay Palin's appearance at the VP debates.
Well, everybody loves fire fighters, but cops for example have a very similar job to soldiers but get a lot of flack because the poor performers within the ranks are better publisized than in the military and as a result people think all cops are bad. Not everyone is this close minded, but VERY few people think this way about our soldiers.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:24 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Someone said McCain spilled his guts to the enemy when he was captured. True? If yes, why isnt he in jail as a traitor?
Did someone also tell you that McCain was tortured so badly for so many years by pulling his arms out of their socket that he can't even lift his arms over his head or that he was offered an early release from his captors and McCain refused to leave the other POW's?

Old 09-25-2008, 07:52 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
lol you know he never served . He confuses the movies where the Hero never breaks with real life.

Its to bad people like him benefit from the service of military personel . Than again his post is so "out there" that he just might be trying to get a responce.
Heres some vets I found that you might like.

Now these Vets Against McCain are not just Sgt. Bilko and his buddies. They include Senator Bob Smith (R-NH), Dr. Joseph Douglass, Jr. (author of “Betrayed: America’s Missing POWs“), Tracy Usry (U.S. Senate Minority Staff), Dolores Alfond (Chairperson; National Alliance of Families), Al Santoli (former Congressional Chief of Staff), Representative Bob Dornan (R-CA), Cpl. Bob Dumas (U.S. Army, (Ret)), Dr. James Lucier (former U.S. Senate Chief of Staff).

Vets Against McCain | Red Pills

Old 09-25-2008, 11:14 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
You are entitled to your opinion and I agree that "military service and/or torture doesn't make you above guestion". But unless you've been there/done that, or are in a position of authority to evaluate the particular evidence in a given situation to make a judgment, then you have no right to judge anybody.
Oh yeah? Who writes the rules on "right to judge?" It's your obligation as an American to judge everything. We're not an elitist country where we assume that we're incapable of assessing the things around us.

Quote:
As far as the "grow up part", I did that many years ago.
Don't confuse aging with growing up.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:03 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,886,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Ok, he broke so why is he playing it up like hes a big bad war hero. He should just shut up. He is nothing but Cindys boy toy and you have to wonder about her taste.

Admitting freely to the American public that "he broke" is playing it up like he's a big bad war hero?
Uh.....what planet did you say you were from....

Bud

Old 09-25-2008, 12:07 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,566,366 times
I am by no means a McCain supporter (well, not this time) but this topic is useless. How about talking about issues?

Old 09-25-2008, 12:10 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,804,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMonkey View Post
OMG--Firefighters get plenty of groupies
I can attest to that. Ha!

Old 09-25-2008, 12:16 PM

18,024 posts, read 27,472,437 times
Quote:
McCain has openly admitted that he broke. I think it would be evil to hold that against him. The man went through ridiculous amounts of pain and tourture. Does that in any way make him more qualified to be president? no. But it should be left alone in my opinion.
That's the way I heard it. He broke, not when he was captured, but after he was severly beaten and he finally "broke".

Then his cell mate helped him along to keep his spirits up enough to go on.

What he did exactly when he "Broke" can be up to enterpretation, if you'd like. If you'd like to use this as a means to sway your and others' opinions on who to vote for in this election, that's pretty sick and should not be "left alone!"

I say don't let the OP off the hook for this sick tactic.

So what if he broke and told secrets! You're gonna put him in jail and call him a traitor based on that?

Go read a book called "Man's search for Meaning" by Victor Frankl.

Oh, and what are your experiences with being held as a Prisoner of War? How many POWs do you know personally?

Now, as far as making him qualified to be President, it doesn't. That's just one page on his resume. What he's done with his life since that makes him "Qualified to be President of the United States of America" and Commander-in-Chief. It also tells us something about his character.

Thanks for bringing it up and reminding us again. He is a War Hero. Recognize!

Last edited by McGowdog; 09-25-2008 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections