Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:47 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,081,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Then answer me this:

How many hollywood actors are voting for Obama?
How many are voting for McCain?

How many in Hollywood have made hatefull remarks about McCain/Palin?
How many Have made a similar remark against Obama/Biden?
I am not sure what Hollywood has to do with anything? I barely know the names of the actors I see in a movie. let alone follow their political antics. The assertions were made that liberals hated Christians and since many Christians are liberals, that assertion is not true on its face!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 11:48 AM

493 posts, read 717,631 times
Not at all! I have even changed a few minds, so not at all

Old 10-16-2008, 11:51 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,440,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Well you haven't been paying attention if you think liberals are tolerant of Christians; they are NOT. Not Christians that believe in basic Christian values anyway.
Absolutely not true.
There is a difference between being "tolerant" of christian values and wanting to have those values forced onto you, regardless of what religion you do or do NOT subscribe to.

As an atheist, I fully support people's right to practice their religion, any religion, however I will not subscribe to their values. I have my own... I don't need anyone else's.

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-16-2008, 11:52 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
People in my small "red" town are voting based on what they would probably call "tradition." To lesser degrees resentment of "the liberal elite," fear of black people gaining power, keeping their money intact - though very few exclusively on the issues, mostly gut-emotional. No point disagreeing out loud (at least I dont have the nerve to (it would be rude), or want to deal with the fallout). But they do hold forth with their views.

Great thread topic!

Old 10-16-2008, 11:53 AM

280 posts, read 1,073,550 times
Interesting post. We are a split household. I'm voting for Obama and my husband, for McCain. My husband is a republican and I am a independant, leaning democrat, and have been a STRONG supporter of Obama since day one.

We have decided that the best course of action is to stop talking about each others "sides" at all anymore until after the election is over. There have been some very ugly conversations. What we have realized is that we both want the same things in the end...we just differ about how to get there. I really can't believe that he can buy into the bull**** of the McCain campaign, but he says he does. He can't see the things that I admire in Obama. I just keep telling him that we will see how great a president Obama is - just give me four years to show you what he can do.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:07 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,736,153 times
I only talk politics at home, or online (here). I live in a traditionally republican neighborhood and don't feel the need to get 'in your face' about my choice (I'm for Obama). It's better to discuss it online anyway... since the worst I'll get is fingers cramp from typing

Old 10-16-2008, 12:10 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Absolutely not true.
There is a difference between being "tolerant" of christian values and wanting to have those values forced onto you, regardless of what religion you do or do NOT subscribe to.

As an atheist, I fully support people's right to practice their religion, any religion, however I will not subscribe to their values. I have my own... I don't need anyone else's.
Yes, it is true. Has been for years. I find it interesting that any liberal would have the gall to say they are tolerant of Christian values when they are so obviously INTOLERANT. And I don't mean forced on you, you are just intolerant of anything Christian.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:14 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yes, it is true. Has been for years. I find it interesting that any liberal would have the gall to say they are tolerant of Christian values when they are so obviously INTOLERANT. And I don't mean forced on you, you are just intolerant of anything Christian.

What is it that you are talking about? Would you expect an atheist to be happy about seeing the Ten Commandments tablets on the outside wall at City Hall? Maybe you expect an atheist to praise the fact that an elected official steps to the front of her church to receive "blessings" from a visiting preacher about her being "protected." This is out and out superstition from a time long past, when shepherds sat on the hills and wrote poems about a vengeful and racist God and when women were banned from conversations with men other than family members. When men were expected to marry a dead brother's wife. As the Muslims say, "Allah Akhbar!"

Last edited by ParkTwain; 10-16-2008 at 12:35 PM..

Old 10-16-2008, 12:14 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,539,099 times
The only real issue I have is that one of my friends posted Obama the anti Christ on her My Space. She knows I;m for Obama . I decided not to respond although I couldn't believe how ignorant that was.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:16 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,916 times
Read sometime what Thomas Jefferson thought about the contents of the Book of the Revelation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections