Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:56 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclad View Post
But it tis the season, it's Halloween, remember? These guys thought it was funny TWO years ago, but was it a white skeleton pirate or a black one? Unfortunately these students of a top medical university had to pay a price. In short, if Palins lynching was no big deal........lighten up Francis.

Headlines@Hopkins: Johns Hopkins University News Releases

"A decoration outside the party site was a plastic skeleton dressed in pirate garb hanging from a rope noose."
a random halloween skeleton pirate is not a representation of a living person, or a public figure.

it's different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 10:06 AM

1,958 posts, read 2,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
a random halloween skeleton pirate is not a representation of a living person, or a public figure.

it's different.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander, get over it or make it equal for both.

50 year set back, obama made a major boo boo but he can't "really" compare himself with the standard local black folk in history or life experience.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:10 AM

218 posts, read 547,301 times
Quote:
Yeah, does anyone remember the "lynching" in the Baltimore City fire dept? Oops, it was done by a black firefighter!

Shocker: Firehouse Noose Was Left By Black | Sweetness & Light

The black mayor (who is now under investigation for theft) did not press charges.
Sterling Clifford, a spokesman for the Police Department and for Mayor Sheila Dixon, said the man admitted to the hoax and will not face criminal charges.
I dont care who is doing it...like my previous post said that you clearly quoted...it is targeted to a specific group of people that incites anger and violence. Whoever depicts a lynching is not stupid to think that it wont, their focus is targeted to get a reaction and it will from many blacks.

So you can continue to roll your eyes all you want. This stuff is not a laughing matter. If someone was to get hurt by these actions would you still be sitting here rolling your eyes? Lynchings is what is it is given the historical nature of this country and the fact remains that lynchings are racially motivated no matter who the race of the person is behind them.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:11 AM

10,073 posts, read 14,458,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
An effigy of U.S. Sen. Barack Obama, the Democratic presidential nominee and an African American, was found hanging from a tree on the University of Kentucky campus this morning, according to university officials

Obama effigy found hanging from tree at UK | courier-journal | The Courier-Journal

This is why UK is know as UKKK in Kentucky
Good to see Kentucky rising above it all! Way to go!

Old 10-30-2008, 10:32 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,576,162 times
Quote:
What's good for the goose is good for the gander, get over it or make it equal for both.

50 year set back, Obama made a major boo boo but he can't "really" compare himself with the standard local black folk in history or life experience.

Obama isn't even part of the American "Black" history, his father came from Africa to America on his own, and that is the only link (OK his wife, but he volunteered to marry her), he grew up white (which he is 50% anyway) and tries to fit into a "Black" world to use them for his own gratifications. He is no different than Mr. Jackson using race to shake down companies for the big bucks.

Regardless, neither one of the "Hangings" should be allowed, they should both be charged with threating a public figure, then see how much they "Yuk it up"! Lynchings come in all colors.....

Old 10-30-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:

50 year set back, obama made a major boo boo but he can't "really" compare himself with the standard local black folk in history or life experience.
It IS different, dispute it all you like. It's ignorance to say the implications are the same.

I have no idea what you were trying to say in your second paragraph so I'll just leave it at that.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:05 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,270,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
noosing a representation of a black man, whatever the reason, is still racially charged.
Why is it that if we hang a representation of a white person it's ok but if we hang a representation of a black person it's not ok because it's racist? I'd think in either case it's not really ok because it simulates vilence against another human being. But racism never really comes to mind....at least my mind....

The noose knot was used for hanging Europeans long before the first black person set foot in the New World...and yet whenever one is seen in the media these days people get all bent out of shape about it and start crying race.

Do you think because some black folks got hung by the KKK that makes the noose a symbol of racial hatred? Some were stabbed, shot, set on fire, drug behind cars....heck all of the above. Very brutal killings. So why is it that the noose comes to the forefront as a symbol of racism? It's still used today in some countries (Saddam was hanged)!

Old 10-30-2008, 12:39 PM

[quote=drjones96;5925952]Why is it that if we hang a representation of a white person it's ok but if we hang a representation of a black person it's not ok because it's racist?
Maybe you should try harder at understanding what you read: I NEVER SAID it was "ok" if it's a white person. I said it is horrible and wrong in either case. I said it is even MORE charged - from a racial standpoint given our history - when it is a BLACK person hung in effigy.

The noose knot was used for hanging Europeans long before the first black person set foot in the New World...and yet whenever one is seen in the media these days people get all bent out of shape about it and start crying race.
This might come as a shock to you, but we don't live in Europe. We live in America. Maybe you should take a history class and learn that a noose + a black person = fairly recent atrocities in our country's history.

Do you think because some black folks got hung by the KKK that makes the noose a symbol of racial hatred?
when the noose is used to hang a black man in effigy, yes I do. And yes, there were other ways that blacks were killed in those days, but for whatever reason, "lynching" is always the one that comes to mind. it's just the way it is.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:59 PM

218 posts, read 547,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Why is it that if we hang a representation of a white person it's ok but if we hang a representation of a black person it's not ok because it's racist? I'd think in either case it's not really ok because it simulates vilence against another human being. But racism never really comes to mind....at least my mind....

Do you think because some black folks got hung by the KKK that makes the noose a symbol of racial hatred? Some were stabbed, shot, set on fire, drug behind cars....heck all of the above. Very brutal killings. So why is it that the noose comes to the forefront as a symbol of racism? It's still used today in some countries (Saddam was hanged)!

To sum up your whole post....America. That is what matters not European history nor African history. These acts happen less than 100 years ago right here on our own soil. You can google pictures of lynchings and 9 out of 10 times you will see happy white people and sometimes children standing around a hanging black man body. lynchings, and burnings were used to make black people stick with the status quo. but Im not about to give you a history lesson. you can do that on your own.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:38 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Arrogance View Post
I dont care who is doing it...like my previous post said that you clearly quoted...it is targeted to a specific group of people that incites anger and violence. Whoever depicts a lynching is not stupid to think that it wont, their focus is targeted to get a reaction and it will from many blacks.

So you can continue to roll your eyes all you want. This stuff is not a laughing matter. If someone was to get hurt by these actions would you still be sitting here rolling your eyes? Lynchings is what is it is given the historical nature of this country and the fact remains that lynchings are racially motivated no matter who the race of the person is behind them.
Ever seen one? I haven't, were they WRONG? Hell YES, do some blacks fake them to target hate to their white counterparts? Hell yes AGAIN, should blacks have been upset about Palin getting lynched? You tell me Roscoe, it's either WRONG all around or it's a joke..get it?

Trick or Treat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections