Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:20 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Right?! Why is the Obama effigy a "lynching" and a Palin effigy an "artistic expression"?
history my foe...............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 04:26 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,155,693 times
I can't believe the real or feigned ignorance of some of the people here. When in America's history did people lynch WOMEN??? Now if you people don't know when people lynched BLACKS,you need to brush up on your American History.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smd1998 View Post
What kind of country are we running when anyone sees either of these as ok.

White women have been just as suppressed as blacks in my view and either one of these should be not tolerated.

I am sick of the one way Obama street, if Palins is allowed to stay and not ordered down as is being called artistic by the person who hangs it then the person who hung the Obama one can also say it is an artistic item as well.

We need to get over the 150 year ago issues and move on, there are just as money whites who have been mis treated in the country as there are blacks.

No one is alive today who did anything wrong 150 years ago, get over it and move on.

Hell affirmative action has screwed me more then any issue in out lives today and I do not blame the 4 blacks who took over my job and could not do it, I blame the system for screwing over me and allowing 4 idiots to be proven they could not do the job anyway.

If the Palin one remains, so should the Obama one. No difference.

Afterall it is Halloween right!!

* As a side note, Wal Mart is getting sued by some racist pig for allowing Obama face mask to be sold while they said nothing about the McCain one right beside it.

We need to get this country fixed before it goes to far.

We all get to start from zero today and if you cannot make it in todays world it is your own damn fault as I see many getting a head start just because of something none of us had anything to do with 150 years ago.

Lets not forget that women in general have been treated more wrongly then any group and it is time we end that.

The Palin hanging item is racist beyond belief yet no one is saying a word.
150 yrs? lol blacks were getting lynched up til the 60's miss... it wasnt that long ago peoples grandmothers experienced that b.s

black wall street burned down by racist whites..... these events aint 150 yrs ago how about 40-50 yrs a generation or two ago many are still alive as so the segregation generation which most of them are republican and have been since the late 60's

Old 10-29-2008, 04:29 PM

136 posts, read 548,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
The Palin one was allowed to stay, therefore the Obama should be allowed to as well.

Sarah Palin effigy hung in Halloween display | Reuters
Yeah. It's freedom of speech. If it's good for one candidate it should be good for the other.

I don't think either is okay, but it certainly wouldn't be fair to make them take down the Obama when there is nothing wrong with the Palin one, now would it?

Old 10-29-2008, 04:32 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Univ of KY has a long history of race problems

In 2004 a student was beaten to death 1/2 mile from campus after someone called his Black friend a "******" and a fight ensued

In 2006 the head of UK's student body, who happened to be Black, returned to his dorm to find "Die ******" written on his door

Old 10-29-2008, 04:34 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,495,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
I can't believe the real or feigned ignorance of some of the people here. When in America's history did people lynch WOMEN??? Now if you people don't know when people lynched BLACKS,you need to brush up on your American History.
Ever hear of Mary Surratt? Mary Surratt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stick around my lil chipmunk, even YOU may learn something they didn't teach in February.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california5 View Post
Yeah. It's freedom of speech. If it's good for one candidate it should be good for the other.

I don't think either is okay, but it certainly wouldn't be fair to make them take down the Obama when there is nothing wrong with the Palin one, now would it?

theres history and meaning behind a black person being hanged in america.. when a white person was hanged it was by a white person of authority for a crime they've commited...and thus back then lynching a woman or a white man isnt = to lynching a black person...

touchy subject....

Old 10-29-2008, 04:38 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,495,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
theres history and meaning behind a black person being hanged in america.. when a white person was hanged it was by a white person of authority for a crime they've commited...and thus back then lynching a woman or a white man isnt = to lynching a black person...

touchy subject....
Get over it, I am and I didn't even know anyone they hung.........well except for Saddam Hussein that is.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:39 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post

touchy subject....

If Obama wins, can the race card be thrown out as a valid argument? Heck, it should be thrown out now.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:40 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,155,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclad View Post
Ever hear of Mary Surratt? Mary Surratt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stick around my lil chipmunk, even YOU may learn something they didn't teach in February.
Nope. And I'll wager the rest of America hasn't either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections