Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 06:41 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,075,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
The Palin one was allowed to stay, therefore the Obama should be allowed to as well.

Sarah Palin effigy hung in Halloween display | Reuters
Da-ng those students!!!!

SHAME!!!!

Obama knows exactly how to play this.

OBAMA knows how to play the psychological GAME with his supporters. He knows how to play VICTIM, and he does this all the time to gain sympathy.
OBAMA is a mastermind psychological game player of pretending to be the VICTIM of the opposition and playing VICTIM of AMERICA!!!

His supporters with no common sense are going "Oh Poor, Lord Obama is a victim again. He needs our support and votes."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 06:46 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Can somebody link to a picture from U.S. history in the last 100 years, a picture in which those hanging from the tree are white women who have not been convicted in a court of law of a crime and those standing around, some smiling, are black men and women? It would essentially be an inversion of this picture:
Google Image Result for http://www.ligali.org/africanremembrance/2005/gallery/images/thomas_shipp_and_abram_smith.jpg

Thanks.

Still waiting.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:48 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,345,812 times
Oh

Old 10-29-2008, 06:50 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,345,812 times
Default Big fricken babies who took it down

Oh crap I wanted to see it at least 100 times like I saw the Palin one on national news!

Old 10-29-2008, 06:54 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
I found some sources online. They say whites and women were lynched, but, of course, nowhere near the numbers of A.A's.

1. History of Lynching in the United States (source): "Although mobs murdered almost 300 white men and women, the vast majority of almost 2,500 lynch victims were A.A.

2. About Lynching by Rober L. Zangrando (source): between 1882-1968 4,743 died of lynching. 3,446 of them black women and men.

Mississippi: 539 black/42 white
Georgia: 492 black/39 white
Texas: 352 black/141 white
Louisiana: 335 black/56 white
Alabama: 299 black/48 white

There were more numbers compiled for later years, but thankfully they were declining in amount.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:56 PM

663 posts, read 1,863,777 times
White women or any white for that matter has never been targeted in the U.S. because of their racial ancestry. And don't bring up Italians or Irish etc. - those people were not considered whites for a long time. Blacks have been enslaved and treated cruelly (including lynchings) simply because they belong to the black race. Can people see the difference here?

White women have not been lynched simply for being white women, so the lynching of Palin effigy does not come attached with any historical connotations with regard to race. An Obama effigy which is depicted as being lynched does come with such connotations - especially when it occurs in a southern state.

Also, when Obama becomes president he will endure ridicule and scorn simply because he has African blood. Bush has earned all of the ridicule and scorn he receives. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about Obama, because his being president will undoubtedly threaten a certain percentage of the white population.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:05 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Did you even read my post? The Salem Witch Trials were in the late 1600s. And the context for that was religion and politics. Once again, totally missing the point

Wrong. I read your post. You said the last 100 years. I just posted something else as well. And as a girl who grew up in the south and still live there (although it's a different place than it used to be) I do know something about this. I'm not talking as a sheltered city girl who didn't hear some rough language used to describe blacks or hear stories from my mom who happened to live in Mississippi in the mid 60's. One of the stories my mom tells is of being in the grocery store one day and she got in line behind a black woman. The clerk wouldn't wait on the black woman first but my mom wouldn't go first and she even offered to pay for the woman's groceries when she ended up being short of cash. The gossip hit the street before she did and she said she hadn't been so scared in her life with all the men and women glaring at her for what she had done. My dad (the raging rascist back then) didn't believe his buddies would do that to her but the gossip and threats got to him too and they moved away less than a month later.

But to say that religion didn't play any part in the lynchings, in some backwards people's minds it did. I'm a Christian and I know many others who wouldn't distort religion to do something so bad but some people do.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:08 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Technically there is a difference, Palins was on private property and should be allowed to stay, Obamas was not on "private" property..
I thought I should just quote this, seeing as half the people responding here must have missed this little gem.

Both are stupid. But one's on private property and there's not really much anyone but the owner can do about it. One's on public property and should be taken down immediately.

All the rest of the discussion is simply exercise in partisan hackerey.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:17 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
But to say that religion didn't play any part in the lynchings, in some backwards people's minds it did. I'm a Christian and I know many others who wouldn't distort religion to do something so bad but some people do.
That is true. The perversion of Christianity by some actually constructed racism and slavery, as well as sexism, as necessary goods.

But of the white who were lynched were any of those done because the person was white? The lynching of blacks was because they were 1. black and 2. suspected of having committed some crime. With whites, the issue was that they had committed some crime or were suspected or some crime. Race didn't play into in, and that's a significant difference, especially when you take into account the numbers you provided.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:51 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I would like to know when lynching became a black only thing against them.
They use to lynch horse theives, witches, and other people I'll bet more whites have been lynched than blacks!
Can you provide me with some facts to back up this statement? Didn't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections