Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:17 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
My hubby and all of his employees all way under 50! It is a professional look. People do not want to do business with people that do not look the part.
I would hate to work there.
Not one single tech person or creative wears a tie here in Austin....

Old 01-22-2009, 07:17 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
That does not mean that the real business world does not expect it for that professional polished look out of respect for their customers or clients.
Yes. And in the "real business world" (which I have 20 years experience in), when unnecessary, EVERYONE in the company from the owner on down takes the stuffy uncomfortable jacket off, hangs it neatly and then goes about his or her workday.

The jacket then comes back on when necessary--like when meeting with new clients.

In your "real business world" people come in wearing jackets and wear them literally the whole day? You have obviously never worn a business jacket. It's hot. No matter how nicely it's fitted, it just seems to pinch right at the front of the underarm when trying to make more than very stuffy movements (because, after all, business jackets are for very stuffy moments). If you buy a material that doesn't wrinkle, it's obvious to one and all that it's a cheap material (like a poly blend). If you buy an expensive material, it wrinkles...almost guaranteed.

That's why for the majority fo the day...you take it off.

Particularly when you're done with initial formalities, have a lot of real, honest work to do and have to think more about that, than whether you "look" like you just stepped out of a magazine.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:19 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Why would I put you on ignore? I'm waiting for you to come to your senses.
Don't do that you would be missing way to much. For those of us who have been posting awhile we have our own archives of favorite moments and wrong predictions.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
For those of us who have been posting awhile we have our own archives of favorite moments and wrong predictions.
Oh my gosh, I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THIS. I was thinking about all the times I was told here that I'd be eating my words when McCain was president, etc., etc. but I didn't want to start a rub-people's-nose-in-it thread........

But...it is kind of funny ironic to look back on those threads now.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:21 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
My hubby and all of his employees all way under 50! It is a professional look. People do not want to do business with people that do not look the part.
Maybe thats why McCain lost the election. All of the pictures of him with no tie on and the American people decided they didn't want to do business with him. Makes sense as he was the one who was so often seen on the trail dressed casually. Makes a lot of sense.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:32 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,871 times
When it comes to most topics in this forum, there's asinine and then there's ASININE. I wonder which category this falls into.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
When it comes to most topics in this forum, there's asinine and then there's ASININE. I wonder which category this falls into.
Ummmmmm...Category II...I think.

Should we put it to a vote?

Old 01-22-2009, 07:47 PM

37,181 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Depends on who your clientele are.

In my business if I visit a customer for the first time, I wear a jacket. I take it off when I tour their shop, and whil we tour I make it a point to dig in and get my hands dirty enough to need washing. It's a psychological thing. When we go back to the office I have the smell of the herd on me.

The next time I visit I dress like they do.

I've moved more dollars around wearing jeans and polo shirts than most of the guys with ties will ever dream of.

People do business with people who make them comfortable. Whatever works for President Obama I support wholeheartedly.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:49 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
There has always been a certain level of decorum for the Oval Office. Now, to scrap having to wear a jacket for every meeting doesn't bug me. ( I HATE suits anyway) That said certain meetings should keep the old rules. High level military meetings come to mind specifically. Decorum should be maintained for such things if for no other reason than most of the attendees will be in uniform. Class A is standard for high level meetings. I would HOPE that he meet frequently with his military advisors. But , he IS the CIC at the end of the day and if he tells them to wear BDU's I'm sure they will. Whatever...........

Old 01-22-2009, 08:30 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
I am so out of touch. I worked 12 years for a corporation, 8 of them in sales. I did wear a suit to the office every day. But, I took off the jacket as soon as I got in the office and only put it on when I took a client to lunch or visited a corporate headquarters where everyone wore a suit. Two years ago, my wife and I went back to Akron to visit. I went to some of the headquarters where I did sales, and guess what, everyone was dressed much more casually than they were 26 years ago. There were few suits--more shirts with ties or just shirts with open collars.

But, Sanrene, after reading all of this, I am deeply concerned as to whether boxers or briefs are the proper and respectful undergarment for the POTUS. Back then I wore briefs. Now I wear boxers. Am I being disrespectful?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.