Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 06:56 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Active Volcanoes in the Continental United States

There's more brewing then I was aware of...make that 9 active volcanoes.
Yup.
These things happen. It's not some kind of remote once in a million years kind of thing. Take a look at this quote from your link:

Forty-five eruptions, including 15 cases of notable volcanic unrest, have been documented at 33 volcanoes in the U.S. since 1980, according to the report, released April 29.

So, yeah, they happen. Mostly they are not catastrophic events, but even those are not all that uncommon. As I mentioned in another post, the last century saw 2 such massive eruptions - that's an average of once every 50 years - so in an individuals lifetime he could very well see one - some folks could easily have lived to see BOTH.

Fortunately in both of those cases the peaks that erupted were relatively remote so the loss of life and destruction of property were a lot less than they could have been - but if Mt Hood, Mt Shasta, or ESPECIALLY Mt Rainier were to go up in a big way it could kill tens of thousands of Americans - so such research is not pork but rather of REAL value.

The risks are real and the benefits of the research are real - and it reflected poorly on Jindals' judgment to single this research out as wasteful. As an infrastructure improvement, this easily qualifies. While there are some dubious items in the bill THIS is NOT.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You don't know what any of us know about the GOP. You do not know what we read, what we know. My father and several other family members were Republican elected officials back in Pennsylvania. I literally grew up with the GOP.
Yeah I agree.
I think it's pretty presumptuous for someone to automatically assume that someone who supports one party doesn't know anything about the other - and likely simply reflects THAT persons isolation from the "other side" - rather those of the people he/she is accusing of that.

The fact is, there are a LOT of families with members and supporter of BOTH parties (often leading to "interesting" discussions over the family dinner table - not to mention the fact that many Democrats and Republicans have friends and acquaintances on the "other side" (I certainly don't ask for someone's political affiliation when making a new friend) - and lets not EVEN get into those of us who are members of NEITHER party and have voted for both sides of the aisle at different times and under different circumstances.

Ken

Old 02-25-2009, 07:13 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:
You don't know what any of us know about the GOP. You do not know what we read, what we know. My father and several other family members were Republican elected officials back in Pennsylvania. I literally grew up with the GOP.

Was I addressing you when I wrote that, no I was not. It had nothing to do with you, but thanks for your input.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Was I addressing you when I wrote that, no I was not. It had nothing to do with you, but thanks for your input.
This is an open forum. There is an assumption that when you post, you are addressing everyone. If you want to converse with someone privately, send them a DM.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah I agree.
I think it's pretty presumptuous for someone to automatically assume that someone who supports one party doesn't know anything about the other - and likely simply reflects THAT persons isolation from the "other side" - rather those of the people he/she is accusing of that.

The fact is, there are a LOT of families with members and supporter of BOTH parties (often leading to "interesting" discussions over the family dinner table - not to mention the fact that many Democrats and Republicans have friends and acquaintances on the "other side" (I certainly don't ask for someone's political affiliation when making a new friend) - and lets not EVEN get into those of us who are members of NEITHER party and have voted for both sides of the aisle at different times and under different circumstances.

Ken

And that is well and good, but has nothing to do with what the post was about. I would never try to tell the democrats on here who they were "grooming" to run for President four year from now if they didn't currently hold the office. That is presumptuous.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
This is an open forum. There is an assumption that when you post, you are addressing everyone. If you want to converse with someone privately, send them a DM.

You know what assume does, right. I was not addressing you. Have a good one.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
And that is well and good, but has nothing to do with what the post was about. I would never try to tell the democrats on here who they were "grooming" to run for President four year from now if they didn't currently hold the office. That is presumptuous.
No. That's SPECULATION.
It's not worth a whole lot admittedly this far out, but it's hardly presumptuous.

Ken

Old 02-25-2009, 07:23 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
We should capitalize on all the heat... talk about free energy....

Old 02-25-2009, 07:29 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
No. That's SPECULATION.
It's not worth a whole lot admittedly this far out, but it's hardly presumptuous.

Ken
Some people are just into politics. I voted for Obama, though I voted republican in my state elections, and I did just as much research on the right as I did the left, if not more. It's not far fetched to understand that we may know more about our opposing party.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
You know what assume does, right. I was not addressing you. Have a good one.
Cut the attitude, dear, it may earn you an infraction. I will put it a little differently. This is an open forum. It is not against the TOS for any member to respond to any post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections