Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:50 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,258,578 times

Advertisements

Ovcatto, thanks for the researched, informative post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 10:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,272 times
Jindal sounded like he was talking to third-graders. I half-expected him to pull out a sock puppet during his elementary-level rebuttal.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:58 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,172,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Are you saying that you are an uninformed voter? I thought so....

Anyone who would leave the TV on mute while the candidates are speaking... Sheesh!!!!

I don't believe Obama is technically still a "candidate" is he? He did get elected, right. It is just better for my overall health not to listen to him speak. It is all regurgitated back over and over for days anyway.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:59 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,475,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I am sure many voted for Obama because of the way he "sounds" and not based on policy and ideas. I see that as disturbing.
It's apparently asking way too much of politicians to be able to articulate their ideas in a clear concise fashion to their constituency, suddenly this is "no longer part of their job" (this is why Bush was elected twice).

We need more folksy rhetoric so I can feel warm at night cause everything is clear cut and simple.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:00 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,172,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Eric View Post
Jindal sounded like he was talking to third-graders. I half-expected him to pull out a sock puppet during his elementary-level rebuttal.

That sort of cadence is hypnotic and will put those listening into some sort of follow the pied piper trance like state if their IQ is above 75...didn't work on you huh?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:07 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
Bobby Jindal said this:

"But Democratic leaders in Congress -- they rejected this approach. Instead of trusting us to make wise decisions with our own money, they passed the largest government spending bill in history, with a price tag of more than $1 trillion with interest. While some of the projects in the bill make sense, their legislation is larded with wasteful spending. It includes $300 million to buy new cars for the government, $8 billion for high-speed rail projects, such as a "magnetic levitation" line from Las Vegas to Disneyland, and $140 million for something called "volcano monitoring." Instead of monitoring volcanoes, what Congress should be monitoring is the eruption of spending in Washington, D.C."

Well, duh. Volcano monitoring is a lot like hurricane monitoring. Why are we wasting money monitoring hurricanes? Can't Louisianna do it for themselves WITHOUT government help?!! There are at least seven states in the US that have volcanos. Does it bug Bobby Jindal so much that we would like to have our potential disasters monitored too?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:07 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times
Dynamite post, ovcatto! Jindal is a true political lightweight. The GOP appears to be unable to engage in anything but the most simplistic thinking: countering Hillary with Palin, and now Jindal with Obama. How dim do you have to be to think that sex and ethnicity are the "selling points?" The GOP is out of tune, out of touch, out of ideas; their "intellectual base" consisted of Rove and his manipulations, and how much more mistaken could he have been?? Poor Jindal looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:15 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salukifan1 View Post
How dim do you have to be to think that sex and ethnicity are the "selling points?"
They certainly are selling points. It does seem like folks these days vote more on rhetoric and looks as opposed to real issues. But then again, would we ever elect someone who could not talk the talk? Would we ever elect a poor or unsuccessful person into office? Hell, would we ever elect someone without a college education...? Seems to me that the individual does in fact trump policy every time...

On topic, Jindal appears to be a combination of Mondale and Dukakis, without a doubt the WORST presidential candidates I have ever seen... They could not talk their way out of a paper bag either. However, Obama pretty much came out of no where for the Democrats (who even heard of him before the primaries?), and I strongly suspect that some new face for the Republican party will emerge by 2012. Anything can happen.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:18 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,311,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Now according to the arguments put forth by you fine members of our small community, Bobby's parents came to America when Bobby's mommy was 4 months pregnant. Now it's my understanding that you can't get U.S. citizenship in a mere 5 months so, Bobby was born to parents whose allegiance hadn't yet shifted to the United States. Now over the last months, you have "educated" the rest of us that being born in on American soil isn't enough to be considered a "natural born citizen." So, what say you about this Bobby Jindal 2012 idea? Surely, consistency of argument would clearly indicate that Governor Jindal is not qualified to run for the office of President, what say you?
The issue with Obama has no bearning on my comment:

Jindal was born in the US, and has lived in the US his entire life. He's as American as hot etouffe pie!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:20 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
Default Politically Tone Deaf: Bobby Jindal

I liked Bobby Jindal before tonight and his response to Obama's speech. Bobby Jindal seemed so tone deaf to what America needs! Bobby Jindal wants to get government out of America (like we haven't had that for the last 8 years) and thinks we should all just go it alone.

The government is the only entity big enough to save anything in this country! As individuals, we cannot save the banks, the stock markets, or anything else. Giving tax breaks just isn't going to cut it! We need jobs in this country!

As I listened to Bobby Jindal talk, I kept thinking that the next thing he would suggest is dismantling the military and allowing the Boy Scouts to fight our battles because WE JUST DON'T NEED GOVERNMENT SOLUTIONS!

Anyway, <sigh> I think he's way out of touch with reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections