Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Bobby Jindal would make a good candidate for 2012 GOP ticket?
I usually vote republican and think Jindal would be great! 7 18.92%
I usually vote republican and would rather see somebody else 6 16.22%
I usually vote democrat and think Jindal would be great! 4 10.81%
I usually vote democrat and would rather see somebody else 5 13.51%
I am an independent or other and think Jindal would be great! 4 10.81%
I am an independent or other and would rather see somebody else 11 29.73%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:39 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,119,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Rice is pro-choice, so that pretty much demolishes any chance of her getting past a Primary. Also her close connection with the Bush administration would hurt in the General. Powell I think is pro-choice as well, and the fact he endorsed Obama would destroy him in a Primary. Watts would have been interesting if he stayed in public office, been out almost 8 years. However, even if he stayed there I doubt much would have come from it. He wasn't going to win statewide office in Oklahoma, and while he had some name recognition, its really hard to make the jump from the House to a strong Presidential contender without higher office, unless you are a major figure.
I am saying more "what if they had decided back when" not today...I am speculating, trying to point out, Republicans can and would support a minority if that person was the right one for the job...I am not saying any of those would have won the Presidency. Heck 3 or 4 years ago how many thought Obama could even get the nominatio...??

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 08:39 AM

8,455 posts, read 12,227,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There was more to th Keyes situation than race..
... and he did not win the primary -- he was appointed by some IL Republicans seeking a black face.

Quote:
I wonder what would have happened if Condi would have decided to give it a try or J.C. Watts, maybe Collin Powell?
Policy wonks like Dr. Rice or even Colin Powell do not always have that great political moves or instincts -- that is why they rarely run for office. Remember Al Haig tried to run for the Oval Office? How did that work out?

As to JC Watts, he has some major negatives as to going national or even statewide as a Republican candidate -- the young white girl he impregnated as a teenager and his recent financial finaglings.

When you think about it, the Republican party has not groomed minority candidates to move up in the ranks. They were trying to do so with Watts when he bailed out. So don't expect a minority group member on the national ticket. We have seen what happens when a local celeb comes under the national klieg lights. Does it get ugly? You betcha!

Old 02-10-2010, 01:38 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,119,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
... and he did not win the primary -- he was appointed by some IL Republicans seeking a black face.

Policy wonks like Dr. Rice or even Colin Powell do not always have that great political moves or instincts -- that is why they rarely run for office. Remember Al Haig tried to run for the Oval Office? How did that work out?

As to JC Watts, he has some major negatives as to going national or even statewide as a Republican candidate -- the young white girl he impregnated as a teenager and his recent financial finaglings.

When you think about it, the Republican party has not groomed minority candidates to move up in the ranks. They were trying to do so with Watts when he bailed out. So don't expect a minority group member on the national ticket. We have seen what happens when a local celeb comes under the national klieg lights. Does it get ugly? You betcha!
First of all I do not think the girl was white, but I could be wrong, secondly this isn't the point, my point has nothing to do with who got pregnant or who is pro choice, who has good or bad political moves, my point has to do with the stupid statement that GOPS would never support a minority.. Yes, there are reasons anyone one of the above might have trouble getting elected, color isn't it though...or let's put it this way, it is a very small part of it . So for people to say, the Republicans would never support a minority isn't totally true. Do you agree with me on this? There has to be someone worthy and interested to groom..

Nita

Old 02-10-2010, 03:05 PM

22,239 posts, read 19,551,406 times
Quote:
First of all I do not think the girl was white, but I could be wrong, secondly this isn't the point, my point has nothing to do with who got pregnant or who is pro choice, who has good or bad political moves, my point has to do with the stupid statement that GOPS would never support a minority.. Yes, there are reasons anyone one of the above might have trouble getting elected, color isn't it though...or let's put it this way, it is a very small part of it . So for people to say, the Republicans would never support a minority isn't totally true. Do you agree with me on this? There has to be someone worthy and interested to groom..

Nita
Never I agree is a bit of a stretch, but I think its much harder for a minority candidate than a white one in the GOP. In 2003 Jindal lost portions of Louisiana that were among the most conservative parishes/counties in the entire country. Even when he won them in 2007 turnout was still BRUTAL and the numbers were WELL below what Republicans typically poll in these areas. Granted most of the country isn't exactly similar to portions of northern & central Louisiana when it comes to race, but it is still a bit of a factor.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:59 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,199,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Tim Pawlenty will be the Republican candidate in November of 2012.

I highly doubt that.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:14 PM

9,802 posts, read 16,246,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I highly doubt that.
I will be posting in 2012 asking where all the naysayers are.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:17 PM

9,802 posts, read 16,246,598 times
Up until before the primaries/caucuses started in 2008, it seemed to be a certainty that the candidates would be Hillary vs Rudy

Old 02-14-2010, 11:10 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,668,575 times
It has been proven a US birth certificate is no longer a requirement for the Office of President here. BoBo has failed, he will be gone in a few years. Why not give Jindal a chance as well? Then the inane battle can begin as to which non-white on which side of the aisle did the better job. Give diversity an equal opportunitiy chance.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:27 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,443,728 times
Default Bush-era Republican candidates stink

Bush-era Republicans should not be given serious consideration. The fact that these idiots are continually mentioned as possible candidates means that Republicans still are immensely clueless.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:38 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,190,711 times
He converted from Hinduism to Christianity in high school and he uses the first name "Bobby" instead of his real name. Not to mention he's of East Indian descent and is in the GOP.

Can you say Stockholm Syndrome?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections