Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2015, 08:10 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,427,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Are you kidding me? That is not her real eye color. they have applied a filter to reinforce the color.

Exactly, a lot of people have hazel eyes, which are put in the light eyes category when there is a lot of green.

Some say green eyes are typical of Celtic people, in Northern Portugal many people have Celtic ancestors as well.
You were saying that this Irish woman did not have those kind of green eyes? Oh, yeah she did.

http://static.tumblr.com/b3d8810a79a...wu0xo1_500.jpg

This is another Irish who's also green-eyed. Both of these types are not frequent in Portugal/Spain.

https://aminus3.s3.amazonaws.com/ima...bb84_large.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 09:28 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,408,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Thanks for the link really enjoyed it although I don't understand why the blond percentages were higher for women at 23.23 vs 17.75 for men seems a bit fishy.

For the Azores the red haired girl is a very rare look, number 126 has features frequently found in the Azores. The men look about right number 243 resembles me much more than the other two, although he is older.
It's always not that accurate to distribute as the whole national scale so the given link would be still quite debatable and subjective but yes I thought it was interesting to see another wide research project about Portuguese people.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:07 AM

56 posts, read 75,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Many Spanish behave in an arrogant manner because they feel superior, such bad manners are typical of Madrileños.
Sorry but this is bull****, I come from Madrid myself and we don't feel superior towards anybody.

If you've seen some young people from Spain drinking and yelling means nothing.

I've also seen young people from England, from the Netherlands, from Germany, from the USA drinking and being loud, and this doesn't mean that people from those countries are like that, it means that young people are sometimes like, they like to drink and make party, it has more with their age to do than with their procedence.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:23 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
You were saying that this Irish woman did not have those kind of green eyes? Oh, yeah she did.

http://static.tumblr.com/b3d8810a79a...wu0xo1_500.jpg

This is another Irish who's also green-eyed. Both of these types are not frequent in Portugal/Spain.

https://aminus3.s3.amazonaws.com/ima...bb84_large.jpg
Both photos seem to have been photoshopped, not just the eyes by the way...

Old 06-10-2015, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Take it easy please. The studies show very well that the Portuguese are far from Nordic, since the vast majority is dark-haired and dark-eyed and light-pigmented people are in the minority.
I was referring to the claim of 15+% for light blond hair, which is ridiculous. The number is more like 1.5% on a national level. There are some pockets in the north where more people than usual have blond hair, but they all but get lost on the national level.

Regarding skin color, many Portuguese are indeed relatively pale, but unlike Europeans further north they have the potential to turn much darker. One can see it now in the spring, those who have the time and desire to tan, do so very easily. Many people here work the whole day, from 9 to 7, and they don't tan during the lunch break obviously. Many also work on Saturdays and/or Sundays, others do their weekly shopping at the weekend. So, a lot of people simply don't get out in the sun enough to tan.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Both photos seem to have been photoshopped, not just the eyes by the way...
Those photos are undoubtly photoshopped.

If you want to have a look how people in Spain, Portugal or Irland look like, just need to watch some soccer matches, most players on their national teams are still originals from the land, still almost no one with immigrant background, still...

I'm spanish and have green/brown eyes, which aren't a rarity in our country but anyways not the most common eye color. My skin is darker than the skin from most Germans, English or Scandinavian people and lighter than most people in arabic countries, that's very common here, I don't see any problem with that.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:18 AM

Yes, Hazel eyes (i.e. mixed green and brown) are not rare in Portugal, either.

At the weekend there was a kind of confirmation of my view regarding the preference for light-eyed and Nordic people in Portugal. I was watching some cooking competition show on TV and it turned out to have been the final episode. One of the finalists was of Scandinavian origin and one of the Portuguese chefs/judges said to the audience that that girl of Scandinavian origin did not make it to the finals because of her beautiful blue eyes, her blond hair or her height, but because of the quality of the dishes she had made so far. That indirectly showed that there is a preference for that Nordic look in Portugal, and it explains why so many people, mostly women, dye their hair, a silly kind of inferiority complex.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:20 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,191,466 times
Quote:

At the weekend there was a kind of confirmation of my view regarding the preference for light-eyed and Nordic people in Portugal. I was watching some cooking competition show on TV and it turned out to have been the final episode. One of the finalists was of Scandinavian origin and one of the Portuguese chefs/judges said to the audience that that girl of Scandinavian origin did not make it to the finals because of her beautiful blue eyes, her blond hair or her height, but because of the quality of the dishes she had made so far. That indirectly showed that there is a preference for that Nordic look in Portugal, and it explains why so many people, mostly women, dye their hair, a silly kind of inferiority complex.
I'm sorry to hear that but - that's insane.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:29 AM

Yes, I think there's some kind of attraction to that what's considered exotic.

Many friends of mine in Spain do find scandinavian girls pretty because they are blond and have blue eyes. Here where I live, northern Germany, many man and women like people with dark hair and dark eyes.

As you say for now african or southamerican men are welcomed by northern girls because they don't see that exotic thing in mediterranean men anymore, they are way too near and most of this women have been already in Spain, Italy or Greece as they were still teenagers, so now they need something more exotic.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:14 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:

The preference for lighter features is very old has nothing to do with wanting to look like people from Nordic countries. It has it's origins on the concept of limpieza de Sangre(racial purity), and that only dark people worked with their hands originating during Reconquista and it was brought to Portugal during the Iberian Union from Spain, the history is sad, it was also easier to pass if you were lighter and could bribe someone to falsify documents, read this link.

Limpieza de sangre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by AFP; 06-10-2015 at 06:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe