Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 10:02 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,427,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kessel View Post
did you draw that map yourself or what? can you please tell where this simple painting comes from? or it is enough proof that you're posting it?
Please don't be dumb! I did not draw that, it's just a simplified map showing R1b subclades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 10:03 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,469,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
What I have also noticed with most of the Portuguese is that we are for the most part closest to the Galicians and Extremadurans which makes sense if one looks at the ancient tribes of Iberia.
That would make sense as well because Galicia is bordering North Portugal.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:05 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Genes show what ancestry you have and what populations you are closest to. It is especially relevant when people claim certain populations have a more closer relationship. Genetics are scientific and will just show factual information without all the "myth" that is involved in these sort of discussions.
My point is that genetic proximity doesn't matter. What matters much more in real life are cultural and personal properties, which are pretty independent of genes, especially the genes of entire peoples. Sometimes there is a certain similarity within a family, but the family next door may be very different, despite being from the identical culture.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
My point is that genetic proximity doesn't matter. What matters much more in real life are cultural and personal properties, which are pretty independent of genes, especially the genes of entire peoples. Sometimes there is a certain similarity within a family, but the family next door may be very different, despite being from the identical culture.
OK but populations all cluster together genetically so a nation is like a big family group in a way. Usually people that have an identical culture are from the same areas.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:29 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
But it is irrelevant because it is just coincidence where one is born. Take a Nigerian baby and have them grow up in a Portuguese family in Portugal, they will behave just like a Portuguese in terms of culture etc. The only difference is the way he or she looks. To any blind person they will simply be Portuguese.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Scrtus View Post
Bernie

But I guess you are talking about autosomal analysis that depends on a short span of time. Cornish, Wales, Basque country and Catalonia, and Ireland, are the countries with highest concentrations of R1b in the world.

Whatever autosomal analysis means, all R1b, with the oldest SNP, were in Yanma river 4.000 to 5,000 years ago. Whatver changes they had, were relatively recent.
Autosomal dna shows deep ancestry. You can even measure your Ancestral North Eurasian which is tied to the Steppe Migration. The Irish and Scots have high ANE even higher than the English. Spanish and Portuguese have lower levels of ANE.

If the Spanish and Portuguese had a close relationship with the Irish it would indeed show up in the autosomal dna. ydna does not show how close populations are it is only a very small part of your dna passed on from father to son.

You can do testing on your ydna to show long term migrations/relationships but it won't show how close populations are.

Eurogenes Blog: David Reich's Oxford seminar

Regarding ydna most Irish are R1b-L21 and there are many subclades down from this. L21 also appears in reasonable numbers in Northern France. Many Normans are L21 and they can tell where R1b is younger and where the older R1b is. Most R1b that came to Ireland came from Britain and before that Northern France. L21 first developed in the Rhine river system. Most Spanish R1b is DF27 they are a brother clade but took different paths when they split from R1b-P312.

Last edited by Bernie20; 06-12-2015 at 11:42 AM..

Old 06-12-2015, 11:45 AM

This map might be clearer

You can read more on the subject here.

Haplogroup R1b (Y-DNA) - Eupedia

I just wanted to add to this that they have many ancient remains now and they can tell alot from these. This is how they found out about the R1b origin in the Steppes because they had Yamna remains that they tested.

The Hinxton samples are about 2,000 years old and from the Hinxton, Cambridge area in England. There are 5 Hinxton remains and 2 males where described as Celts and 3 females were Anglo-Saxon. The 2 Celts were Hinxton 1 and Hinxton 4. Both Hinxton 1 and Hinxton 4 cluster with modern day Irish and Scots which shows that these regions were much the same 2,000 years ago. I don't know about others but I find it extremely fascinating and interesting.

http://eurogenes.blogspot.com.au/201...s-roundup.html

Anyway this is getting very off topic but the questions were asked so we better get back on topic.

Last edited by Bernie20; 06-12-2015 at 12:12 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Who said that every blonde people with blue eyes in Ireland came from Scandinavia? That's your own invention and then you try to make an argument out of it? By the way, you should show more respect, it's not my fault if you feel insulted when you get to know that maybe some of your blood is not germanic but south european...

So, I said that with the scandinavian vikings because this makes a difference. If some centuries ago the population of celtic Spain and Irelan looked alike, some time later arabs came to Spain and Vikings to Ireland. So you can understand why some Irish and Spaniards still look the same and why some of them don't. It is just a matter of statistics, I never said every single blonde in Ireland came from Scandinavia, but the fact that the vikings came makes a higher rate of blonde people in Ireland, that's all. See the nonsense?

You can keep posting pictures of those girls there, but I repeat, Ireland is more than a bunch of pale girls.

One question, have you ever been in Europe?
Pale girls? Are you against females? What is your point? Those girls are Irish, and pale skin is a characteristic of the Irish people and has always been. The Irish average frequency of very pale skin is higher than the European continental average. Regardless of hair color (red/blonde/brown/black)(whether male/female), according to the Ministry of Health of Ireland report in 2013, stated that over 77% of Irish population have a "Celtic" complexion. This means, they cannot tan or tan with difficulty (skin type I/II). This ratio is even higher than in Scandinavian countries where the Vikings came from! Then you come with them looking "Spaniard", how is that? They are already on average paler than Germanics as a whole. Let's get facts straight here, the people who are closest to the Irish people are the British, particularly the West Scottish not Spaniards. Celtic Ireland belonged to Goidelic branch, while Celtic Britain belonged to the Brittonic branch, both of these make up the Insular Celtic group. There were Celts also in France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy. The Celts of Iberia belonged to the Celtiberian group. Celtic people were a very diverse group, put that in mind. Celts came to Iberia from Central Europe, by way of southern France. On individual basis, a Spaniard may look British/Irish, but that is far from the average. The closest people to the Irish/British people on the continental Europe are other northwestern Europeans.
The Arabic /Moorish invasion was not enough to change the Spaniards in the way, you're implying. Most Y-haplogroups in Iberia are R1b-DF27, this is not the case in North Africa/Middle-East! Thus the Iberians were to begin with were a Mediterranean people as are the Italians, Greeks, etc...

Old 06-12-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
did you draw that map yourself or what? can you please tell where this simple painting comes from? or it is enough proof that you're posting it?
Autosomal markers are much more deep than mere Y-haplogroups. In European populations, we can see that the Irish are more closely related to people of north-west and north-central Europe than they are to Basques/Spaniards/Portuguese folks.

By Cavalli Sforza
Genetical distance;

Distance from Irish

Irish - 0
Scottish - 29
English - 30
Danish - 68
Belgian - 75
Dutch - 76
Norwegian - 79
Spanish - 113
Basque - 145

Distance from Basques

Basques - 0
French - 93
Spanish - 104
Belgian - 107
English - 119
Russian - 140
Irish - 145

Also the Irish and Welsh mtDna are distinct from that of the Basques. We can see it in the plot below.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:13 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I would like to chime in based on the study of ancient European remains the current understanding is that all Europeans share ancestry from more than three ancient populations as previously thought but I will highlight the three main comonents. Which I have copied from a link below from an anthropology blog, also to clarify there is a calculator on Gedmatch which can calculate it for you if you have done an autosomal test and upload it. The difference is that various regions in Europe carry different proportions. For example I carry 32% EEF I am of Portuguese ancestry the typical Person from the Isles carries about 15%. My WHG result is 53% the typical person from the Isles is about 65%. My ANE result is 10% what you see from the Isles is usually 14-16%. This is utilizing the Gedmatch ANE-K7 calculator. Iberians on average carry twice as much EEF as Nortwest Europeans the closest proxy population for the EEF component isn't in the middle east but the Sardinians.

Eurogenes Blog: Ancient human genomes suggest (more than) three ancestral populations for present-day Europeans

Early European Farmer (EEF): apparently this is a hybrid component, the result of mixture between "Basal Eurasians" and a WHG-like population possibly from the Balkans. It's based on a 7500 year old Linearbandkeramik (LBK) sample from Stuttgart, Germany, but today peaks at just over 80% among Sardinians.

West European Hunter-Gatherer (WHG): this ancestral component is based on an 8,000 year old forager from the Loschbour rock shelter in Luxembourg, who belonged to Y-chromosome haplogroup I2a1b. However, today the WHG component peaks among Estonians and Lithuanians, in the East Baltic region, at almost 50%.(I don't understand why he quotes 50% not what I see)

Ancient North Eurasian (ANE): this is the twist in the tale, a component based on a 24,000 year old Upper Paleolithic forager from South Central Siberia, belonging to Y-DNA R*, and known as Mal'ta boy or MA-1. This component was very likely present in Southern Scandinavia since at least the Mesolithic, but only seems to have reached Western Europe after the Neolithic. At some point it also spread into the Americas. In Europe today it peaks among Estonians at just over 18%, and, intriguingly, reaches a similar level among Scots. However, numbers weren't given in the paper for Finns, Russians and Mordovians, who, according to one of the maps, also carry very high ANE, but their results are confounded by more recent Siberian (ENA) admixture.
The WHG were originally YDNA I and MtDNA U5.

Looks like R1b cut a path through central Europe during the migration from the Steppe.(?) They brought horses and bronze weaponry.

http://www.stclairresearch.com/image...plogroup_I.png

Last edited by AFP; 06-12-2015 at 04:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe