Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2016, 01:17 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,432,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kessel View Post
This makes a lot of sense, I think I mixed some other comments that looked like Germans and British would be almost the same, which is not the case.

I think that too. As a Spaniard living in Germany I've made some interesting experiences here.

A friend of mine, woman coming from England, told me and one of my friends from Spain that we would pass as English if we were living in England, even when she was light blonde and had a pale skin color, she said that's what they call "English Rose" there, which means, not everyone looks like her and many would look like us being as much English as she herself is.

I've been often asked if I'm Dutch or Danish in Germany, even when my hair is black. When I tell people I come from Spain they don't wonder either. I guess there's just some kind of Europeans that would pass as possibly coming almost from anywhere here in Europe. Even a Russian woman told me I looked like some kind of darker russian, maybe Georgian.

It is difficult to tell how people actually looks like in every European country, there are some typical traits in almost every country but even more people who wouldn't look like this typical one without having foreign roots. Europe is very mixed up and was always so.
These are English people.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 05:12 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,329,467 times
I don't understand. Saxonfarrt answers to 10 different Saxonfarrt clones. There should be a moderator capable of discerning clones.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:20 PM

433 posts, read 405,704 times
Georgians are not Russians at all. It's like Basque Euskara is not German. Absolutely different languages and cultures. Or would you say that a western russian is actually a Czech?

Old 08-10-2017, 02:24 PM

433 posts, read 405,704 times
One Portuguese guy, when he was unable to make a deal with me, when he was leaving, he said at me: "Spaniard...". Well I am not a Spaniard, but I don't mind any nationality, I'll take it. Spaniard, Portuguese, Russian, Indian, Bolivian, Finn... I'll take it. So should I say: Backstabbers (?) But most people are nice, even if hypocrisy is widespread in the western parts of the world.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:40 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times
I often think of Spain and Portugal as two fraternal twins. Similar gene makeup, somewhat similar in looks, but sometimes differing greatly in personality. My Portuguese family is quite different in habits and personality than Spaniards I have known.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:25 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
They are anything but fraternal twins, only an outsider could get that idea.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:12 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times
You totally missed my point. Not surprising given all your typical posts.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:47 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
You totally missed my point. Not surprising given all your typical posts.
What is your point? I just replied to what you had said. The word twin implies identical, but even genetically the Portuguese and Spaniards are clearly different:

Genetic map of Europe [986 × 1,118] - Imgur

Genetically the Portuguese seem much closer to Italians and even Swiss than to Spaniards.

And on a non-genetic, cultural level the differences are even greater.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:53 PM

25 posts, read 20,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
People of Spain and People of Portugal - very similar or very different?

Yes, they are genetically very similar because they are neighboring nations, but culturally there is a distinct Portuguese and Spanish culture. So their cultures are different but fall still within the Mediterranean cultures of Southern Europe. In my family, there is a preference for Spain with my male siblings and for Portugal with my female siblings. My dad and mom prefer Spain too.
Now genetically, Spain and Portugal are sort of at the crossroads, thus yield a genetic resemblance to some neighboring regions.

Iberian (Spain + Portugal) population genomic make-up is the following:
74% (Southern Europe)
9% (Northern Africa)
5% (Jewish Diaspora)
5% (West & Central Europe)
4% (Asia Minor)
2% (Great Britain & Ireland)

Old 08-18-2017, 07:15 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperialistcorner View Post
Yes, they are genetically very similar because they are neighboring nations, but culturally there is a distinct Portuguese and Spanish culture. So their cultures are different but fall still within the Mediterranean cultures of Southern Europe. In my family, there is a preference for Spain with my male siblings and for Portugal with my female siblings. My dad and mom prefer Spain too.
Now genetically, Spain and Portugal are sort of at the crossroads, thus yield a genetic resemblance to some neighboring regions.

Iberian (Spain + Portugal) population genomic make-up is the following:
74% (Southern Europe)
9% (Northern Africa)
5% (Jewish Diaspora)
5% (West & Central Europe)
4% (Asia Minor)
2% (Great Britain & Ireland)

Where did you get this from? I have seen hundreds of Portuguese results and the results you posted incorporate reference populations from different vendors but even then the names are a bit different.

23 & Me uses Southern European as a reference population

No company uses Northern Africa AncestryDNA uses Africa North, 23 & Me uses North African and FTDNA uses North Africa

No company currently uses Jewish Diaspora( that was FTDNA 1.0)

FTDNA uses West & Central Europe

FTDNA uses Asia Minor

23 & Me uses British and Irish

These results aren't typical to start 23% total North African+Middle East I've never seen this and like I said I've seen hundreds of results.

Next point you posted results using reference populations that are no longer in use Exhibit A Jewish Diaspora. A reference population name not used by any commercial vendor Exhibit B Northern Africa. In addition you have reference population names from two different vendors FTDNA and 23 & Me Exhibit C.

So explain yourself.

Last edited by AFP; 08-18-2017 at 07:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe