Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 05:55 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kessel View Post
It is difficult to tell how people actually looks like in every European country, there are some typical traits in almost every country but even more people who wouldn't look like this typical one without having foreign roots. Europe is very mixed up and was always so.
Agreed. I was just talking to a very light-complected Serbian woman with natural red hair, pale skin, and a lot of freckles. Not typical Serbian, but the entire continent is all mixed up.

I spent six months in Spain; but overall impression is that most Spanish look NOTHING like how people say they will. Most look very generic European. The black-haired, dark-skinned Spanish female image is not the norm, but more of an exception - or so it seemed to me, as I was living between Valencia and Barcelona - where I saw very very few who looked like that.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 06-17-2015 at 06:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 10:04 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Agreed. I was just talking to a very light-complected Serbian woman with natural red hair, pale skin, and a lot of freckles. Not typical Serbian, but the entire continent is all mixed up.

I spent six months in Spain; but overall impression is that most Spanish look NOTHING like how people say they will. Most look very generic European. The black-haired, dark-skinned Spanish female image is not the norm, but more of an exception - or so it seemed to me, as I was living between Valencia and Barcelona - where I saw very very few who looked like that.
It's no different when ignoramuses assume all Latinos look like a brown-skinned indigenous Central American/Mexican.

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-17-2015 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 06-18-2015, 05:12 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
Quote:

These were probably Latin American immigrants. Locals in Barcelona are not darker than in the rest of the country, plus obviously there are many more immigrants there than in the boondocks.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
These were probably Latin American immigrants. Locals in Barcelona are not darker than in the rest of the country, plus obviously there are many more immigrants there than in the boondocks.
That's what I mean. Spanish people look NOTHING like the stereotype.

The stereotype of Spanish is basically that of a Mestizo Mexican woman. I.E. dark complexion, jet black hair, dark eyes, etc.

What I mean to say, is that it isn't true.

This is the kind of image of Spanish women, that non-Spanish people have all the time:

Generally, associated with Flamenco...

But, I seldom saw women like that anywhere in Valencia or Barcelona. I also went down to Andalusia, and I'm sure they are there, but that wasn't the overwhelming feel I got from there either...in real life, the people mostly just looked like everyone else in Europe.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 06-18-2015 at 07:35 AM..

Old 06-18-2015, 07:14 AM

56 posts, read 75,130 times
In my opinion the way people from different European countries look alike could be resumed like this:

So, many people will look like they could come from every country in Europe, some others could look more like southern European or North European, West, East, British, Spanish, Scandinavian, whatever... and some others will have the typical look of a German or a Spaniard or a Russian and also be original of that land, but not necessarily.

The problem comes when people think that Europe is something like this:

Old 06-18-2015, 07:38 AM

The funny thing about this thread. I'm the OP, and what I originally meant was how are the Portuguese and Spanish different culturally or in behaviors.

When I started this thread, I had no idea that people would compare genetics. That was the furthest thing from my mind. Interesting that most of this thread turned into a genetics debate though.

NOTE: Kessel - great model! I agree with that completely!

Old 06-18-2015, 07:53 AM

56 posts, read 75,130 times
Quote:
The funny thing about this thread. I'm the OP, and what I originally meant was how are the Portuguese and Spanish different culturally or in behaviors.

When I started this thread, I had no idea that people would compare genetics. That was the furthest thing from my mind. Interesting that most of this thread turned into a genetics debate though.

NOTE: Kessel - great model! I agree with that completely!
Then let's go back to that question.

I don't know many Portuguese people but I'd say they are not as similar to us Spaniards as many people could think, in terms of culture I mean.

As I was studying languages at the university I got to know that the Portuguese language descends from Galician, in northern Spain, which I didn't know. Our professor told us that the Portuguese, after they got their independence from the Spanish reign, did several things to get some distance from the spaniards and maximize their own cultural singularities too, so at the same time they got some distance from Galician, which indeed was supposed to be almost the same language as Portuguese. I think Galicians and Portuguese can still understand each other when they speak their own languages.

I don't know very much about Portuguese culture, but the biggest cities in Portugal, like Lissabon or Oporto do not like Madrid or Barcelona, at least not in the old parts of the cities. I have the impression that they still have more traditional architecture in their big cities as we do, they also still have the tram in both cities, I think. The pictures I've seen from both cities are really beautiful, but I've never been there, I was only once in the north of Portugal, but just some kilometers away from the border with Galicia, and nevertheless both places - southern Galicia and northern Portugal - looked kind of different to me.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:14 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:

I don't know many Portuguese people but I'd say they are not as similar to us Spaniards as many people could think, in terms of culture I mean.

As I was studying languages at the university I got to know that the Portuguese language descends from Galician, in northern Spain, which I didn't know. Our professor told us that the Portuguese, after they got their independence from the Spanish reign, did several things to get some distance from the spaniards and maximize their own cultural singularities too, so at the same time they got some distance from Galician, which indeed was supposed to be almost the same language as Portuguese. I think Galicians and Portuguese can still understand each other when they speak their own languages.

I don't know very much about Portuguese culture, but the biggest cities in Portugal, like Lissabon or Oporto do not like Madrid or Barcelona, at least not in the old parts of the cities. I have the impression that they still have more traditional architecture in their big cities as we do, they also still have the tram in both cities, I think. The pictures I've seen from both cities are really beautiful, but I've never been there, I was only once in the north of Portugal, but just some kilometers away from the border with Galicia, and nevertheless both places - southern Galicia and northern Portugal - looked kind of different to me.

The current form of Galician has Castilian influence. They both descend from proto-Portuguese or proto-Galician however you choose to define it but it was the common language of of the Kingdom.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:12 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:

Part of that is related to Manueline style of architecture unique to Portugal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manueline

Old 06-18-2015, 07:49 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times
Quote:

I went to Spain, several times particularly in Valencia, Madrid and the region of Catalonia as well. I know also plenty of Spaniards, the girls can be very beautiful at times. Spaniards are European by excellence,which means they are White people. I have seen blonde,brown,black and sometimes red-haired people, blue/gray/green/brown-eyed in Spain. The difference was that in Spain/Portugal/Italy, the vast majority have dark hair, dark eyes, and the skin is beautiful not so pale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe