Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 12:34 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtocolumbia View Post
That too, but by sea, not by roads and railways.
Well, people fly if they want to get anywhere beyond Spain. There are only two rail tracks between the two countries, a local one in the very north and the bigger Lisbon-Coimbra-Madrid one. Amazing when you consider the long border. There are more rail tracks between Spain and France, despite the Pyrenees.

http://i.imgur.com/LYB4n50.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 12:59 PM

433 posts, read 405,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, people fly if they want to get anywhere beyond Spain. There are only two rail tracks between the two countries, a local one in the very north and the bigger Lisbon-Coimbra-Madrid one. Amazing when you consider the long border. There are more rail tracks between Spain and France, despite the Pyrenees.

http://i.imgur.com/LYB4n50.jpg
And they are talking about reunification of PT and ES.... No way.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:09 PM

399 posts, read 355,228 times
Out of 5 Spaniards I've met 2 were nice and friendly (both from Southern Spain). 2 were insufferably rude (both Madrileños).
Out of 5 Portuguese ppl I've met 4 were really nice and friendly and 1 was so-so.
I know I know. Don't judge but I've heard many people say Portuguese people are friendlier. Spaniards are too aggressive for my liking and tend to step in people goes figuratively. Andalusians are great though.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
Out of 5 Spaniards I've met 2 were nice and friendly (both from Southern Spain). 2 were insufferably rude (both Madrileños).
Out of 5 Portuguese ppl I've met 4 were really nice and friendly and 1 was so-so.
I know I know. Don't judge but I've heard many people say Portuguese people are friendlier. Spaniards are too aggressive for my liking and tend to step in people goes figuratively. Andalusians are great though.
You made this sort of judgement out of just FIVE people from each country? This is ridiculously stupid. Really.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:40 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You made this sort of judgement out of just FIVE people from each country? This is ridiculously stupid. Really.
Not really, it's a fairly consistent opinion, Andalusians are more friendly that other Spaniards but overall the Portuguese are friendlier and warmer than Spaniards. l suspect hospitality is more valued in the Portuguese culture.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Not really, it's a fairly consistent opinion, Andalusians are more friendly that other Spaniards but overall the Portuguese are friendlier and warmer than Spaniards. l suspect hospitality is more valued in the Portuguese culture.
I am not so sure the Portuguese really are that friendly. I am afraid much of the perceived friendliness is pretty superficial, you know, sucking up to tourists. If people here were so nice, why does the country have such a huge problem of domestic and other violence? There is a latent aggression in this society that scares me at times. Some of it due to an outdated Latino macho mentality, some of it due to the permanent state of tipsiness. Not to mention the widespread availability of illegal weapons. It is also a society that likes to torture animals, which is also telling.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:15 PM

630 posts, read 526,624 times
Quote:
I am not so sure the Portuguese really are that friendly. I am afraid much of the perceived friendliness is pretty superficial, you know, sucking up to tourists. If people here were so nice, why does the country have such a huge problem of domestic and other violence? There is a latent aggression in this society that scares me at times. Some of it due to an outdated Latino macho mentality, some of it due to the permanent state of tipsiness. Not to mention the widespread availability of illegal weapons. It is also a society that likes to torture animals, which is also telling.
By the way you portray it, it sounds like a terrible place to be. Are you planning on moving back home anytime soon? Not being sarcastic.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:39 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Quote:
I am not so sure the ...which is also telling.
Do you have any data to support your thesis?

Old 02-05-2019, 08:49 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times
Quote:
You just don't understand hospitality and I've never met German that did we've got Germans back in my hometown in Portugal and they don't fit in well no offense but some cultures are just not a good fit. Bluntness won't take you very far in Portugal.

You keep mentioning sucking up to tourists which is really annoying like I said you don't understand the concept of hospitality. Who said anything about the people being so nice the word used was that the people are generally friendly of course you will find some bad one's. If they paid better I'd be there now I'm saving the dollars and will be living there at least part time in a few years. If you think there's a lot of violence there try living in the USA. Sure there are some problems there but to be honest I've haven't heard you say one good thing in years must not be that bad you've been there 10+ years. LOL

As far as latent aggression I know what you've referring to and I suspect some of it was from 50 of repression from the dictatorship and then there was a peaceful revolution it's like all that tension became internalized and passed on to the next generation it's just below the surface. You are correct if you cross them they'll retaliate either verbally or alienate the individual.

Oh come on there must be something you like about the people.

Last edited by AFP; 02-05-2019 at 09:08 PM..

Old 02-06-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
By the way you portray it, it sounds like a terrible place to be. Are you planning on moving back home anytime soon? Not being sarcastic.
No, it is not a terrible place. All I am saying is that tourists get the wrong impression. After living here for 13 years I just don't fall for the shallow friendliness anymore.
There is no back home. But sure, I would not mind moving to another place with another mentality. But I am lazy, the idea of moving house to another country is a logistic nightmare at the moment. Also, life here is relatively cheap, my rent is low, in Central Europe I would pay twice as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Do you have any data to support your thesis?
When you live here for a long time, you get an idea. There are cruel rituals in more rural places. Sometimes the police find mutilated cats or dogs in plastic bags. Bull fighting is still legal. Animal shelters are full to the brim as people abandon their pets like old cell phones. There are laws against the abuse of animals, but they exist only on paper. In reality hardly anyone gets punished for violence against animals, nor domestic violence. Most perpetrators get away with a suspended sentence or no sentence at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
You just don't understand hospitality and I've never met German that did we've got Germans back in my hometown in Portugal and they don't fit in well no offense but some cultures are just not a good fit. Bluntness won't take you very far in Portugal.

You keep mentioning sucking up to tourists which is really annoying like I said you don't understand the concept of hospitality. Who said anything about the people being so nice the word used was that the people are generally friendly of course you will find some bad one's. If they paid better I'd be there now I'm saving the dollars and will be living there at least part time in a few years. If you think there's a lot of violence there try living in the USA. Sure there are some problems there but to be honest I've haven't heard you say one good thing in years must not be that bad you've been there 10+ years. LOL

As far as latent aggression I know what you've referring to and I suspect some of it was from 50 of repression from the dictatorship and then there was a peaceful revolution it's like all that tension became internalized and passed on to the next generation it's just below the surface. You are correct if you cross them they'll retaliate either verbally or alienate the individual.

Oh come on there must be something you like about the people.
Certainly, I am well aware of my mental incompatibility with Portugal
Indeed, I can't stand hospitality when it doesn't come from the heart. I prefer grumpy Germans or Brits who often turn out nicer than they seem. With many Portuguese it is more like the other way round.

I don't think the aggression and violence has anything to do with the former dictatorship.

Of course not all people are the same. So, there surely are some very nice people. But in general I am distrustful by default. Lying and cheating is so common here, I feel safer this way.

There is not much I like about the Portuguese anymore. I have less and less to do with them, despite living here. I prefer to talk to people from other countries. Heck, I can't even take the way people here talk, like everyone at the same time. It is so exhausting and yields nothing.

The country also has a drug problem. I have no idea why other countries look at liberal Portugal as an example. It is a dangerous example to follow.
Alcohol has also become a real problem. The Portuguese have already overtaken the Russians in their per capita alcohol consumption.

Last edited by Neuling; 02-06-2019 at 09:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe