Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 01:08 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, he was talking about the past century, the earlier part of it. And he was only talking about Portugal. He did not say anything about other countries.
I'm curious how he would be able to gather data on that because up until approximately 100 years ago pretty much all births recorded outside of marriage documented the father as incognito or pai não conhecido(they weren't identified) and sex wasn't spoken about in mixed company and definitely not molestation or rape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 01:08 PM

399 posts, read 355,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Not really, it's a fairly consistent opinion, Andalusians are more friendly that other Spaniards but overall the Portuguese are friendlier and warmer than Spaniards. l suspect hospitality is more valued in the Portuguese culture.
True that. It's hard to find a rude Portuguese person. Heck, I have met more friendlier Germans abroad than Spaniards (Andalusians excepted). I even found people in Paris more accommodating than Madrileños. I tried to speak both languages with locals but Parisians were more understanding believe it or not. Now as with everything YMMV. I just stated my experience, that I personally get on well better with the Portuguese. NyWriterdude's so rude and doesn't accept differing opinions. I base my opinion on the behavior of Portuguese out of Portugal mostly, they didn't profit from any tourist money by me. We were all working abroad for co's like IBM, Microsoft etc.

Portuguese are As friendly as Latin and North Americans. I guess being surrounded by a hostile country and the ocean made them unique as most European societies are dour and unfriendly, hostile even. Czechs are the worst.

Last edited by healthy_; 02-06-2019 at 01:18 PM..

Old 02-06-2019, 01:22 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
I'm curious how he would be able to gather data on that because up until approximately 100 years ago pretty much all births recorded outside of marriage documented the father as incognito or pai não conhecido(they weren't identified) and sex wasn't spoken about in mixed company and definitely not molestation or rape.
I don't know about official records, but judging from what he said it was common knowledge back then, albeit a taboo.

There are also certain mottoes that have contributed to rampant domestic violence, like 'entre marido e mulher não se mete a colher".

Old 02-06-2019, 01:34 PM
AFP

Quote:
I don't know about official records, but judging from what he said it was common knowledge back then, albeit a taboo.

There are also certain mottoes that have contributed to rampant domestic violence, like 'entre marido e mulher não se mete a colher".
1. This just sounds really odd and doesn't ring true I am aware of a few cases but it isn't common.

2. People tended not to get involved that is correct but again there were huge variations some families have always been dysfunctional from one generation to the next and were known for domestic violence and tended to stick to other families where it was common as other's generally refused to marry into those families. It is also more common in some regions. But you wouldn't know that because you don't understand kinship and the role of family in Portuguese society very well.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
1. This just sounds really odd and doesn't ring true I am aware of a few cases but it isn't common.

2. People tended not to get involved that is correct but again there were huge variations some families have always been dysfunctional from one generation to the next and were known for domestic violence and tended to stick to other families where it was common as other's generally refused to marry into those families. It is also more common in some regions. But you wouldn't know that because you don't understand kinship and the role of family in Portuguese society very well.
You are not even Portuguese, that criminologist is a native Portuguese of about 60 years, he surely knows what he is talking about.

I do understand kinship, I just don't think much of it.
I have a rather negative impression of traditional Portuguese family.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:59 PM
AFP

Quote:
You are not even Portuguese, that criminologist is a native Portuguese of about 60 years, he surely knows what he is talking about.

I do understand kinship, I just don't think much of it.
I have a rather negative impression of traditional Portuguese family.

Bull****! I'm living in the USA but I'm Portuguese and have a far better understanding of the culture than you do I have dual citizenship and am Portuguese by culture as well as heritage. My upbringing was entirely Portuguese. You're appealing to authority having a degree in no way means a person's conclusions are correct.

No offense but I don't thing Portugal needs immigrants like you that don't like the people or culture.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Bull****! I'm living in the USA but I'm Portuguese and have a far better understanding of the culture than you do I have dual citizenship and am Portuguese by culture as well as heritage. My upbringing was entirely Portuguese. You're appealing to authority having a degree in no way means a person's conclusions are correct.

No offense but I don't thing Portugal needs immigrants like you that don't like the people or culture.
I was not comparing you to me, but you to the criminologist who made those remarks. And of course he knows much more about those things than you do.

Of course Portugal doesn't need immigrants like me, but they got me, anyway, whether they like it or not
Also, my dislike for many things in this country has developed gradually, it wasn't there at the beginning when I knew close to nothing about it. And when I am too fed up with it, I will surely move to a better place.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:21 PM
AFP

Quote:
I was not comparing you to me, but you to the criminologist who made those remarks. And of course he knows much more about those things than you do.

Of course Portugal doesn't need immigrants like me, but they got me, anyway, whether they like it or not
Also, my dislike for many things in this country has developed gradually, it wasn't there at the beginning when I knew close to nothing about it. And when I am too fed up with it, I will surely move to a better place.
It is interesting that you only quoted this criminologist to say that it was common for father's to deflower their daughter's. There is no substantiation so of course you're going to get flack you attack the Portuguese family in general and the Portuguese family structure specifically and I don't have any patience for your nonsense on this topic. I get the sense you just don't value family in general and when you make an asinine claim from a mysterious criminologist who arrived at a conclusion that it was common for father's to have deflowered their daughter's within the last century. With such comments I can see how you don't fit in and probably should consider moving the country would be better for it to be honest. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Good riddance.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:39 PM

Yes, I am thinking of Mexico. There are a whole lot of vegetarians there

I would look up the comment on the video-on-demand page of the site, but I have a limited Internet access. So I can't watch hours of videos...

Old 02-07-2019, 06:47 PM

560 posts, read 599,946 times
Quote:
What are you talking about?! It was the "crónica criminal" section of a popular morning show on public TV here.
Lollll.... So your source is a criminologist that has no respect among his peers and can only find a job on a morning show that is just sad sad sad... That show is all about "dirty laundry" nothing else.... ? That morning show is all about scoundrel and nothing else. That and taking about actors and actresses...

Might as well add to your sources a criminologia of É! Channel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe