Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 10:38 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,905,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No, it is not a terrible place. All I am saying is that tourists get the wrong impression. After living here for 13 years I just don't fall for the shallow friendliness anymore.
There is no back home. But sure, I would not mind moving to another place with another mentality. But I am lazy, the idea of moving house to another country is a logistic nightmare at the moment. Also, life here is relatively cheap, my rent is low, in Central Europe I would pay twice as much.

When you live here for a long time, you get an idea. There are cruel rituals in more rural places. Sometimes the police find mutilated cats or dogs in plastic bags. Bull fighting is still legal. Animal shelters are full to the brim as people abandon their pets like old cell phones. There are laws against the abuse of animals, but they exist only on paper. In reality hardly anyone gets punished for violence against animals, nor domestic violence. Most perpetrators get away with a suspended sentence or no sentence at all.

Certainly, I am well aware of my mental incompatibility with Portugal
Indeed, I can't stand hospitality when it doesn't come from the heart. I prefer grumpy Germans or Brits who often turn out nicer than they seem. With many Portuguese it is more like the other way round.

I don't think the aggression and violence has anything to do with the former dictatorship.

Of course not all people are the same. So, there surely are some very nice people. But in general I am distrustful by default. Lying and cheating is so common here, I feel safer this way.

There is not much I like about the Portuguese anymore. I have less and less to do with them, despite living here. I prefer to talk to people from other countries. Heck, I can't even take the way people here talk, like everyone at the same time. It is so exhausting and yields nothing.

The country also has a drug problem. I have no idea why other countries look at liberal Portugal as an example. It is a dangerous example to follow.
Alcohol has also become a real problem. The Portuguese have already overtaken the Russians in their per capita alcohol consumption.
1. You're not meeting the right people.

2. There are sadistic people everywhere that lack empathy and take out their sadism on animals that isn't unique to Portugal, but you do have a point there are too many people that aren't kind to animals I see it.

3. I don't like hospitality that isn't genuine either you're not meeting genuine people because as you say you have a thick wall up. I understand it I'm distrustful also.

4. You are in a city people are more genuine in smaller communities.

5. I can tolerate it but don't like it either that's why I don't socialize in large groups.

Despite all of that I feel a connection to the people that I don't feel with Americans I feel deeply rooted to Portugal and it's people as a matter of fact I just found out I descend from an Alcaide-Mor of Lisbon from the 1200's so my roots run deep there. I know that is of no interest to you but that is something I value. I plan on taking a close look at Castelo de Sao Jorge in July among other things since now I have a different perspective with this new information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 11:28 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Indeed, I don't get what ancestors who lived 800 years ago have to do with one's current feeling of being rooted, or not. I simply lack that whole kin thinking. My parents are both Germans, yet I don't feel rooted in Germany at all. I have no clue who my ancestors were, and I couldn't care less. Like everyone else I would discover all kinds of ancestors, from very nice ones all the way to criminals. So, I don't want to know.
Chances are that mayor of Lisbon was not your ancestor anyway, adultery was commonplace for centuries.

By the way, heard something odd just a few days ago. There was a guy who said that way into the 20th century it was not uncommon for Portuguese fathers to deflower their own daughters

Old 02-06-2019, 11:52 AM

630 posts, read 526,859 times
Quote:
There was a guy who said that way into the 20th century it was not uncommon for Portuguese fathers to deflower their own daughters
Is that what brought you there? You definitely associate with a questionable crowd

Old 02-06-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Is that what brought you there? You definitely associate with a questionable crowd
Hehe, no, it was a criminologist on TV.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:34 PM
AFP

Quote:
Indeed, I don't get what ancestors who lived 800 years ago have to do with one's current feeling of being rooted, or not. I simply lack that whole kin thinking. My parents are both Germans, yet I don't feel rooted in Germany at all. I have no clue who my ancestors were, and I couldn't care less. Like everyone else I would discover all kinds of ancestors, from very nice ones all the way to criminals. So, I don't want to know.
Chances are that mayor of Lisbon was not your ancestor anyway, adultery was commonplace for centuries.

By the way, heard something odd just a few days ago. There was a guy who said that way into the 20th century it was not uncommon for Portuguese fathers to deflower their own daughters
Nope it actually wasn't among everyone we know which families are known for women that cheat and which aren't but you wouldn't understand as you lack the kin concept. But it doesn't matter anyway he's just one that I thought was interesting because of the connection to the old part of the city the castle and old walls there are others.

That's just stupid and now you're just being offensive as you know to insinuate that is just offensive. I can see now why you're having difficulty fitting in not meant to be offensive you just lack the sensibilities of what is wise to say and what isn't.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:38 PM

Why? I am just repeating what that Portuguese criminologist said. The program was about crime, specifically about child abuse. That is why he mentioned how our view of what is abuse has changed over time.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:43 PM
AFP

Quote:
Why? I am just repeating what that Portuguese criminologist said. The program was about crime, specifically about child abuse. That is why he mentioned how our view of what is abuse has changed over time.
It isn't any more common for father's to molest their daughter's in the Portuguese culture than other's and your post seemed to hint that it was more common molestation is definitely a social taboo in the Portuguese culture. I work with that population(sexual offenders) and what I can tell you is that I do notice it is more common among some groups in the USA but the Portuguese aren't among those.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:46 PM

630 posts, read 526,859 times
Quote:
Sounds like you're into watching the kind of stuff that can land you in jail and earn you a beat up by inmates.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
It isn't any more common for father's to molest their daughter's in the Portuguese culture than other's and your post seemed to hint that it was more common molestation is definitely a social taboo in the Portuguese culture. I work with that population(sexual offenders) and what I can tell you is that I do notice it is more common among some groups in the USA but the Portuguese aren't among those.
Well, he was talking about the past century, the earlier part of it. And he was only talking about Portugal. He did not say anything about other countries.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Sounds like you're into watching the kind of stuff that can land you in jail and earn you a beat up by inmates.
What are you talking about?! It was the "crónica criminal" section of a popular morning show on public TV here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe