Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 03:02 PM

560 posts, read 599,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No, I did not go to Lisbon at the weekend, just like 10.x million Portuguese. Your implication that people who do not participate in such marches are accomplices and no better than the abusers is absurd and silly.
It is not my job to take care of the victims, whom I do not even know personally. It is the job of the government and the Portuguese people themselves to update their behaviors and views. And no, the government's steps are not working at all so far, to the contrary, the problem is getting bigger.
Especially since I am an immigrant, I can't criticize people and tell them what to do. But that doesn't mean I don't see the problems of this country and write about them in an anonymous place like this forum.
Funny how you bash the portuguese society regarding domestic violence - that again is not exclusive of Portugal - making it sound like such a bad place.

Germany on the other hand regarding domestic violence is much worse.

There were 28 deaths in Portugal in regards to domestic violence in a year, while in Germany, we are talking 126 deaths.

Also, lifetime violence in relationships in Germany is 25% while in Portugal is 19%.

Again domestic violence is not a portuguese problem or due to a patriarchal society or whatever you want to convey. It's a global problem.

In England, domestic violence is prevalent in 29% of cases and also 8% of non partner sex violence vs 3% in Portugal.

Do you want me to keep going?

You are completely biased it seems. By the way the source is the UN Global Database for Women

Also very funny how your biased view is not in tandem with data:

Portugal sits among the countries where women have the most security, even though in the midst of such a patriarchal society you say.

Last edited by Lusitano_; 02-11-2019 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 03:21 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
You have to look at the numbers per capita. Germany has 8x as many people. So, when Portugal had 28 deaths last year, Germany would have to have had at least 224, but you yourself say there were only 126.
And this year is even worse in Portugal, already 9 deaths in January alone.

Germany also has a longer tradition of reporting such crimes, of safe houses etc. Once Portugal has caught up in that respect, I am sure it will have overtaken Germany by far in terms of domestic violence.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:25 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
That's silly. I don't have any interest in bashing Portugal. Mentioning real problems is not bashing.

Where did I say I was unhappy?! I am not unhappy, despite all the deficits here, I am happy by nature. Nor do I hate myself, to the contrary.
I can only hope you won't become a shrink, you would be a total failure at it
Go back and read your on posts. You clearly do have an interest in bashing Portugal, and you've decided to troll people.

I seriously doubt Portugal has more domestic violence deaths per capita than most poor countries. Obviously it;s an issue in Portugal, but there is no country in the world that doesn't have this issue. They are just varying degrees of it.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Go back and read your on posts. You clearly do have an interest in bashing Portugal, and you've decided to troll people.

I seriously doubt Portugal has more domestic violence deaths per capita than most poor countries. Obviously it;s an issue in Portugal, but there is no country in the world that doesn't have this issue. They are just varying degrees of it.
No, I have an interest in correcting the overly positive image that many tourists and foreigners in general have had for the past few years.
In reality the country is drowning in problems, rampant strikes and lack of funds are paralyzing public transportation, hospitals, police etc. Unemployment is low now, but only at first glance. In reality almost a million employees are working under precarious conditions now.
Lots of old people are poor and can hardly afford to afford their meals.

Foreigners are usually not aware of such problems that haunt the native population.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:10 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:

On the global spectrum of income/wealth per household, when did Portugal become a poor country? If you’re pointing at the Azores or the most rural parts, sure.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:16 AM

Portugal is one of the poorest countries in EU, if not the poorest. Add to that the poor GINI index and exploding rents, and you get a considerably part of society that is basically poor.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:05 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
On the global spectrum of income/wealth per household, when did Portugal become a poor country? If you’re pointing at the Azores or the most rural parts, sure.
People experience a better quality of life in the Azores than probably any rural part of the mainland and even some of the more developed areas. The figures are deceiving lots of people own pastures, orchards, and grown their own fruits, vegetables and like doing those sort of things. The quality of life also varies considerably. Again the figures are deceiving.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:40 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Portugal is one of the poorest countries in EU, if not the poorest. Add to that the poor GINI index and exploding rents, and you get a considerably part of society that is basically poor.
Being the poorest country in the EU, if this is true, puts them well ahead of the poorest countries in North and South America, Africa, and Asia.

Portugal has a politically STABLE country with a STABLE currency is well off.

It seems like you are not aware of other continents outside of Europe.

Also Portugal gets a lot of foreign investment, due to climate and stability.

Portugal is not a poor country by global standards by any measure.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:40 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Lisbon did not strike me as a poor place, I appreciate its not as wealthy as most of western Europe, I absolutely loved Portugal, thought Lisbon was a fantastic city with a really good transport infrastructure and the sights are stunning

Found the Portuguese people to be more reserved than Spaniards but that is not in anyway a criticism.

I would happily live in Portugal

Old 02-15-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Being the poorest country in the EU, if this is true, puts them well ahead of the poorest countries in North and South America, Africa, and Asia.

Portugal has a politically STABLE country with a STABLE currency is well off.

It seems like you are not aware of other continents outside of Europe.

Also Portugal gets a lot of foreign investment, due to climate and stability.

Portugal is not a poor country by global standards by any measure.
It is not enough to look at the GDP, you have to look at it relative to the cost of living. The cost of living here is not much cheaper than in Germany, but the average income is not even half, more like 1/3rd. That is why a big part of the Portuguese are working poor.
The currency might be stable, but it is also a big problem as the Euro is much too strong for the economy of Portugal, Spain, Italy and Greece. The strong Euro only benefits countries like Germany, the Netherlands etc.
No, there is not much meaningful foreign investment. Foreigners who come here and buy houses are not meaningful investors, they don't create jobs and found companies. Some of them are actually criminals from China, Russia etc. who use the golden visa scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Lisbon did not strike me as a poor place, I appreciate its not as wealthy as most of western Europe, I absolutely loved Portugal, thought Lisbon was a fantastic city with a really good transport infrastructure and the sights are stunning

Found the Portuguese people to be more reserved than Spaniards but that is not in anyway a criticism.

I would happily live in Portugal
Public transport in Lisbon and the rest of the country is very strained, lots of outages and strikes. Much of the infrastructure such as trains needs replacement, but there is not enough money for it, and there are few manufacturers, so waiting lists are long, we are talking about years.

Foreigners like it here, because they usually don't depend on the country's economy. Immigrants from developed countries are usually retired, so they live on a generous income from abroad, which they don't even have to pay income tax on, unlike natives with their mini pensions, which has already caused a lot of protest. It is easy to like it here when you don't have to live like the average Portuguese person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe