Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 05:40 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kessel View Post
Well, Iberian and Celtic aren't races, and as I told you on the other thread, 3/4 of the "iberian" peninsula were actually populated by celts, not iberians.

Actually people with blue eyes and bright hair in Ireland do not descend from the celts but from the nordic folks coming from Scandinavia that invaded the area.

Did you read about the haplogroup R1b?

BTW, this is also Ireland:

And this is also Spain:

I don't see the big difference. And of course there are different people in both countries but also many people who look the same.

R1b suclades within various regions of Europe are also different. Take a good look at Ireland and then Spain, are they the same? I think not!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 01:28 AM

56 posts, read 75,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
R1b suclades within various regions of Europe are also different. Take a good look at Ireland and then Spain, are they the same? I think not!
did you draw that map yourself or what? can you please tell where this simple painting comes from? or it is enough proof that you're posting it?

Old 06-12-2015, 01:36 AM

56 posts, read 75,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Who said that they were races? Your imagination perhaps!
For your information, the vast majority of the Irish population is Celtic-descended, the Scandinavian genetic input is lower than in Great Britain, especially in comparison to north-eastern Scotland, in the Orkneys, Shetlands islands, the Herbrides. So your lame excuse for the presence of blonde hair in the Irish population to be only from Scandinavia is nonsense. There were Celts who were blonde too, by the way. Actually even over there in the Iberian Peninsula, the regions which were strongly settled by Celts, show overall a higher frequency of blonde hair than what is average there. In pigmentation, the majority of Irish have blue eyes, are you trying to say that they are all Vikings? See the nonsense! While in Iberia, blue eyes are present but in the minority. Big difference.
Blonde and red hair colors are already more common in Northern Europe than in Southern Europe, especially the Mediterranean regions.

As we see it among these Irish girls who are members of the GAA.

I am very well acquainted with the subject of the Y-haplogroup R1b which is so common in western and north-western Europe. For your information, there also different subclades of the R1b, which arose at different times. Now we know that the most common subclades in the British Isles is the L21, while in Iberia and southern France is the DF27.
Who said that every blonde people with blue eyes in Ireland came from Scandinavia? That's your own invention and then you try to make an argument out of it? By the way, you should show more respect, it's not my fault if you feel insulted when you get to know that maybe some of your blood is not germanic but south european...

So, I said that with the scandinavian vikings because this makes a difference. If some centuries ago the population of celtic Spain and Irelan looked alike, some time later arabs came to Spain and Vikings to Ireland. So you can understand why some Irish and Spaniards still look the same and why some of them don't. It is just a matter of statistics, I never said every single blonde in Ireland came from Scandinavia, but the fact that the vikings came makes a higher rate of blonde people in Ireland, that's all. See the nonsense?

You can keep posting pictures of those girls there, but I repeat, Ireland is more than a bunch of pale girls.

One question, have you ever been in Europe?

Old 06-12-2015, 09:26 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
Those photos are undoubtly photoshopped.

If you want to have a look how people in Spain, Portugal or Irland look like, just need to watch some soccer matches, most players on their national teams are still originals from the land, still almost no one with immigrant background, still...

I'm spanish and have green/brown eyes, which aren't a rarity in our country but anyways not the most common eye color. My skin is darker than the skin from most Germans, English or Scandinavian people and lighter than most people in arabic countries, that's very common here, I don't see any problem with that.
The Irish football team is not really a good representation of Irish people. A lot of the football players are English born (and other ancestry) and might only have an Irish grandparent. Some are Irish but I don't think the majority. Gaelic Athletic Association or GAA is the best place to look for Irish born and Irish people. You can even search by county and this gives a good representation of Irish people.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Who said that every blonde people with blue eyes in Ireland came from Scandinavia? That's your own invention and then you try to make an argument out of it? By the way, you should show more respect, it's not my fault if you feel insulted when you get to know that maybe some of your blood is not germanic but south european...

So, I said that with the scandinavian vikings because this makes a difference. If some centuries ago the population of celtic Spain and Irelan looked alike, some time later arabs came to Spain and Vikings to Ireland. So you can understand why some Irish and Spaniards still look the same and why some of them don't. It is just a matter of statistics, I never said every single blonde in Ireland came from Scandinavia, but the fact that the vikings came makes a higher rate of blonde people in Ireland, that's all. See the nonsense?

You can keep posting pictures of those girls there, but I repeat, Ireland is more than a bunch of pale girls.

One question, have you ever been in Europe?
I'm very into genetics and have seen loads of Irish results. I've had a few members of my family genetically tested so I can tell you the Irish are one of the most distant groups to Spanish or Portuguese people using dna. The closest population to the Spanish are the Southern French and Northern Italian and in the British Isles the closest population to any Spanish group (usually Catalonia) are the Cornish and then other English areas. The most distant populations in the British Isles to Spanish and Portuguese are the Irish and the Scots. Believe me they are not close populations and I say this just as fact. It is just not accurate to say otherwise.

If any Spanish or Portuguese has had their dna tested and uploaded to Gedmatch they can see this for themselves.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:48 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I'm very into genetics and have seen loads of Irish results. I've had a few members of my family genetically tested so I can tell you the Irish are one of the most distant groups to Spanish or Portuguese people using dna. The closest population to the Spanish are the Southern French and Northern Italian and in the British Isles the closest population to any Spanish group (usually Catalonia) are the Cornish and then other English areas. The most distant populations in the British Isles to Spanish and Portuguese are the Irish and the Scots. Believe me they are not close populations and I say this just as fact. It is just not accurate to say otherwise.

If any Spanish or Portuguese has had their dna tested and uploaded to Gedmatch they can see this for themselves.

This is what I find as well I have tested myself and several of my family members and have access to quite a few of my matches on Gedmatch that are also Portuguese consistently it shows that the Portuguese/Spaniards/Southern French/Northern Italians are the closest genetically the Isles are more distant but about as equally distant as the Austrians/Swiss/Southern Germans and a bit more distant are the Balkans.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:51 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
I think you people are focusing too much on genes, which only bring about superficial differences. What matters is how people differ in terms of behavior, customs, etc.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
This is what I find as well I have tested myself and several of my family members and have access to quite a few of my matches on Gedmatch that are also Portuguese consistently it shows that the Portuguese/Spaniards/Southern French/Northern Italians are the closest genetically the Isles are more distant but about as equally distant as the Austrians/Swiss/Southern Germans and a bit more distant are the Balkans.
Thanks AFP. Irish are closest to Scots, North Dutch and Scandinavians and other British Islanders. This is quite consistent when looking at results. It is easy to check for people on Gedmatch so there is really no doubt about the result.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I think you people are focusing too much on genes, which only bring about superficial differences. What matters is how people differ in terms of behavior, customs, etc.
Genes show what ancestry you have and what populations you are closest to. It is especially relevant when people claim certain populations have a more closer relationship. Genetics are scientific and will just show factual information without all the "myth" that is involved in these sort of discussions.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:01 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Thanks AFP. Irish are closest to Scots, North Dutch and Scandinavians and other British Islanders. This is quite consistent when looking at results. It is easy to check for people on Gedmatch so there is really no doubt about the result.

What I have also noticed with most of the Portuguese is that we are for the most part closest to the Galicians and Extremadurans which makes sense if one looks at the ancient tribes of Iberia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe