Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 01:16 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
East Germany feels soo "German". Places like former West-Berlin, Hamburg, Frankfurt or parts of the Ruhr area are so full of immigrants and "diversity" that you miss out the Germans there.
I just have to read your post and know you got to be German. How'd you know who's an "immigrant" and who is not? You ask people for their birth certificates or passports on the street ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 02:45 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,288 times
Quote:
East Germany feels soo "German". Places like former West-Berlin, Hamburg, Frankfurt or parts of the Ruhr area are so full of immigrants and "diversity" that you miss out the Germans there.
Immigrants and their descendants are just as much a part of Germany as "real" Germans. Frankfurt am Main doesn't feel less German to me than Frankfurt an der Oder in East Germany. On the contrary, sometimes East Germany feels a lot less "German" because I grew up in the West and their viewpoints and culture can be quite a bit different. Plus the obnoxious accents.
If you count all immigrants groups over the centuries such as the Polish who moved to the Ruhr area or the Hugenottes I wonder how many "real" Germans there are anyway.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:23 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,090 times
Default Good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Immigrants and their descendants are just as much a part of Germany as "real" Germans. Frankfurt am Main doesn't feel less German to me than Frankfurt an der Oder in East Germany. On the contrary, sometimes East Germany feels a lot less "German" because I grew up in the West and their viewpoints and culture can be quite a bit different. Plus the obnoxious accents.
If you count all immigrants groups over the centuries such as the Polish who moved to the Ruhr area or the Hugenottes I wonder how many "real" Germans there are anyway.
Well, that's what I was getting at. Thanks.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:45 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Not my experience.
I find Germans all over Germany, east/west/bayern.
Seems as if you're looking for different.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:47 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,109 times
I dated a german guy in the US once, and I always wondered if he would take me to Germany his family something about me.

We never got that far though

Old 08-19-2012, 01:28 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
The Dresden stadtfest was great.
Today, I left at 0930 to have an overview of some of the ugly and depressing towns from Meissen down 4 and 72 and 93.
Got home at 1930.

I'm so depressed.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:46 AM

341 posts, read 641,529 times
Are German cities depressing? No. Are USA cities depressing? Yes except Some not all big cities. But you need to know that living in the small cities or villiggies you need to be "in", you need to know a little more about their coulture... You need to know that people live in the small villiggies all their life, they live teir centuries...

Old 08-20-2012, 11:30 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
how are german cities depressing? Berlin is probably the most energy filled city I've ever been to

Old 08-20-2012, 12:58 PM

47 posts, read 70,435 times
AHHH! SIGH!!! I met the man of my dreams in 1975 in Majorca, Spain and he was an honest, salt of the earth, hardworking drop dead gorgeous german and was love at first sight for us both. I was in awe of the beauty of the woods, forests, cleanliness and high standard of living the working germans enjoyed compared to Britain at that time - yes I am british. We lived in the north part of Niedersachen in one of the many villages, near STADE, which was very pretty. I have always loved the coutryside and my husband did not like towns so for me it was ideal and the villagers were always celebrating something. Although only 1hour 20 minutes flight from Heathrow to Hamburg, I had never fancied Germany as a holiday resort, as we Brits always went to spain in those days for the hot , sunny weather. Having lived in Germany for many years, I could recognise the East german dialects, American accents and english ones, and those from Bavaria too.
My idyllic life came crashing down when the love of my life was diagnosed with advanced , incurable cancer and after a very brave battle died. But my memories of Germany and my life I had with him are still with me after 15 years

Old 08-20-2012, 01:22 PM

47 posts, read 70,435 times
To Ruthfortruth
I have lived in the north London area for many years, and from 1973 to 1995, there was a run of lovely summers and mild winters. However this year has been the worst ever for rainfall and the 2 occasions of a few days of heatwave, was much too hot and humid, having just had a weekend of it. I lived in northern Germany - Niedersachen and Shcleswig-Holstein- and our best summer weather was nearly always in May and a couple of weeks in July. There was no Spring or Fall, just summer and winter and winter temperatures of -18 celcius as tops in the day for weeks/months, but meeting germans on holiday, have been told the weather is not so cold or long anymore, whereras here in UK, winters have been much worse since I returned. Cologne was always milder than us and statistics confirmed that the Hamburg area had the least hours of sun and most hours of rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe